6. Emery King is 'king for a day' at WDIV
    7. Valentine’s Day 1982 -- 'Just keep loving the wife,'
    8. Valentine’s Day 1982 -- 'Riley's World'
    9. March 1976 ice storm
    10. Tigers pitcher Mark Fidrych takes batting practice in 1976
    11. 1982 groundbreaking for Detroit's Riverfront Towers
    12. Potholes, traffic and bad driving in Metro Detroit from 1985
    13. Closing of Chatham's grocery stores in Metro Detroit in 1982
    14. Former Detroit Tigers All-Star Rusty Staub takes swings, gives interview in 1976
    15. 1979 groundbreaking for Pontiac's Phoenix Center
    16. WDIV's 1996 Halloween special 'Haunted Legends of Old Detroit'
    17. Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford campaign in Detroit in 1976
    18. Tornado rips through Novi mobile home park

This list keeps growing as I post so follow the link to see the rest.

Watched some of these earlier today; the one about potholes made me laugh. Some things never change.

I first noticed these when they were recommended by YouTube and I wondered why I hadn't seen them before. Then I noticed most of the post dates are recent.

Maybe some intern was assigned the task of posting them? Maybe this playlist will continue growing. That would be great. There's bound to be something for everyone.

Thanks for the link Jimaz!! #18... I learned long ago never to live near a mobile home park!!

I grew up in that mobile home park and will never forget that tornado... It was scary as hell. my sister and I were looking out the window saw debris flying around in the sky and couldn't figure it out was. Without looking my mom said bird... since it was flying around in the sky. then she looked out and realized it was a tornado. My parents told us to get in the bathtub and then pulled a mattress over us hoped for the best. our place sounded like it came to life and it was slightly picked up by the wind but luckily it wasn't ripped from the chains holding it to the ground. There were no warnings.. Then after it was done we left to check on our relatives home which was destroyed on that same street as those in the segment. Pretty scary shit for a 6 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks for the link Jimaz!! #18... I learned long ago never to live near a mobile home park!!
    Yeah, because they have the mysterious ability to attract tornadoes. But we know better.

I like the Haunted Legends of Old Detroit. They say it's from 1996 but it seems more like the style of "In Search of..." from the 70s, hosted by Leonard Nemoy, where he would routinely ask a leading question like "Could it be that <insert unfounded claim here>." It was as if framing the claim as a question automatically legitimized it. LOL!

It's nostalgic to recognize some newscasters when they were younger.

Great fun.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-24-22 at 08:39 PM.

These videos are great and so much better than homemade VHS copies. It would be nice if Channels 2 and 7 could do the same. So much great footage just languishing in the vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    These videos are great and so much better than homemade VHS copies. It would be nice if Channels 2 and 7 could do the same. So much great footage just languishing in the vaults.
    And for us kids... there was also CKLW... Channel 9 from Windsor... also Channel 50.

Here's another recently announced archive, this time from Ford. At the time of this post the link in this story is broken so use the link below instead.

Ready to time travel? Ford celebrates 119th birthday by opening up historical vault to the public

That website is getting pounded but I was able to get through eventually.

Going 4 It documentary: Betty, Bonds and The Bird {Clip}

Last edited by Jimaz; November-04-22 at 09:08 PM.

Looking them over gave me a 50-50 reaction......half glad that I'm long gone, half sighing over the good days back there. Just sayin'.

How many of you remember Carol Duvall? The Martha Stewart of TV before there even was a Martha Stewart. I remember her 15 minute craft show's on WWJ TV [now WDIV] Channel 4... called "Here's Carol Duvall" back in the 60s.

Carol went on to be on HGTV during the 80s, 90s, and 00s. In one Carol Duvall Show episode [they were all filmed in Traverse City] I remember seeing her have her son and daughter-in-law on the show. They owned a Pottery in Leelanau County just NW of Traverse City.

Carol is now retired and living in a retirement center in Traverse City. She has to be at least 90 years old.

Total duration 23 minutes:

D-Day’s untold story:
    How weather impacted historic WWII military operation

{This special first aired in 1994} The Allied invasion of the Nazi-held French coast at Normandy is widely regarded as one of the most important military operations in history. But the story of how a small band of meteorologists played a decisive role in the invasion’s planning went largely untold for decades.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-06-22 at 09:54 PM.

The Local 4 documentary was very interesting. It's amazing to see the hold local news used to have on people in the area. Now with social media and cable, we have thousands of news and entertainment options, which has obviously lessened the impact the local news stations and papers have. It's kind of sad, really.