Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

1. Default 2023 Lyriq, Cadillac's first EV, sells out within hours

Unfortunately for Michigan it will be built in Tennessee, but still good new for Detroit-headquatered GM.

General Motors sold out of the new 2023 Cadillac Lyriq all-electric two-row SUV in about four hours on Thursday morning.

The automaker opened the order banks at 9 a.m. and by 1 p.m. it had sold out of that model year, Cadillac spokesman Mike Albano said.

Albano declined to provide how many 2023 Lyriq orders Cadillac received, but GM's luxury brand reported having about 233,000 hand-raisers in March. Hand-raisers are people who express interest in the car but do not put any money down on one.

Cadillac leaders said they expected to convert about 10% of those hand-raisers to purchase orders. And, earlier this year, GM told suppliers to prepare to produce 25,000 Lyriqs this year. The Lyriq is the cornerstone for Cadillac as it is the first of GM's brands to go all-electric by 2030.

Quote from Detroit Free Press

The automaker opened the order banks at 9 a.m. and by 1 p.m. it had sold out of that model year, Cadillac spokesman Mike Albano said.
    Albano declined to provide how many 2023 Lyriq orders Cadillac received, but GM's luxury brand reported having about 233,000 hand-raisers in March. Hand-raisers are people who express interest in the car but do not put any money down on one.

………….

How do they know they had 233,000 hand raisers if they declined to provide how many orders were received?

unless I am reading it wrong.

This is what bothers me about all the rants about how bad the economy is. All of the mega dollar whoopdeedoo vehicles sell out quickly. High priced luxury stores are doing well. People gripe about fuel prices, but keep traveling by car, motorhome, plane and cruise ships.

The economy is raging and people that have money are spending it hand over fist leaving people that don't have money in the dust.

Risk takers also. We "presume" it will be a great vehicle.

The CT5-V Blackwing went on sale a year or so ago, and the entire allotment sold out in 15 seconds I believe. So they agreed to make additional 2,500 examples, and those all sold out in 15 minutes. [This being the version with the 668 hp blown V8 under the hood and an available manual trans.]

When Caddy chooses to make a great car, they sell like hotcakes.

Do not worry,we are all going to be equally broke pretty quick,you got what you voted for meddle,those at the top have money,everybody else,not so much,that is by design.

It’s about now when the color orange is looking pretty good,considering.

It was just 233,000 hand raisers,they also said that only 10% would actually follow through and buy the car another article wrote that 70% of those were conquest buyers.

Or people that have never bought a caddy before and they are poaching them with manufacturer and government incentives.

Then you have business owners who buy it and write it off,they do not break it down to who exactly is buying them.

It does not meen much though,because many manufacturers are having a hard time making delivery and are kicking expectations back.

I have a friend that made $30,000 in 1 day just flipping a new corvette,this all goes back to the whole PT cruiser thing,get on the list,if you get one,Jack up the price because there is always somebody that has the newest thing.

There is a boat manufacturer that people pay $50,000 just to get on the list,then they flip spots.

You can put your $100 deposit in one to get on the list and then sell your spot for $5000.

Instead of flipping houses you flip your list reservation spot.

They say $62,000 at todays prices,by the time they actually build it,no way,all of those materials used to produce green has been going up 15% per month.
    Last edited by Richard; May-21-22 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I guess that's one way to look at it if democracy and following the constitution isn't important to you... and you like the orange Putin-wannabe...
    Last edited by Gistok; May-21-22 at 05:40 PM.

These new cars selling out isn’t about the car and demand. It’s about everyone wanting to be first at everything nowadays. Regardless of they need it or not. Basically so they can post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I guess that's one way to look at it if democracy and following the constitution isn't important to you... and you like the orange Putin-wannabe...
    good little sheep,kinda of hard sell these days and like they say you can fool some of the people some of the time,but not all of the people all of the time.

350 million are not that blind.

Did you see the WH is already assembling a legal team for after the midterms,what are they afraid of,and where your girls CM just testified that she personally signed off on the Russian disinformation collusion,while knowing full well it was unproven and fake,to this day you are using that same false information in order to prop up your stance and using it as a basis to cry Putin,and now you are using him to level Ukraine so everything gets buried ?

Did you ever stop to think who actually is benefiting from all of that,it is easy to see who is paying for it with their life.

Did you put in your order for the new caddy? o wait the only thing that has been proven is a Moskvich,you know the party of the peoples choice and if it was up to you,that’s what everybody would be driving,outside of your leaders,they would be driving Bentleys and not Cadillacs.
    Last edited by Richard; May-22-22 at 01:58 AM.

Traveling by car? Have cars become fully verboten? Uh-oh!

Everyone should be concerned about/ will be impacted by increasing fuel prices - beyond personal driving. The cost of dry goods; shipping of supplies for manufacturing, medical, foods and produce are all affected. Local, state-wide etc. And not everyone peddles or walks to work [or desires to do so].

Some [people] require door-to-door conveyance [older, physically challenged, etc], by driving themselves or being driven by friend, family or med transpo, etc. Walking blocks to a bus stop or rail is not an option. Further, you really may have to board a plane as family members are not necessarily local.

I'm not rushing out to buy anything over-priced Cadillac [declining quality and legendary problems w/ many of their ICE's]. But, I don't find it solely a bourgeoisie prospect [perhaps cruise ship options are - LOL]. The elite and rich will indeed always have [and retain] their many options - ongoing.

I guess just the 'people' will have to do all the adapting and adjusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ...People gripe about fuel prices, but keep traveling by car, motorhome, plane and cruise ships.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-22-22 at 10:25 AM.

^ well they do say driving is a privilege and not a right,if the low wage earners cannot afford a car,walk bike or bus,like she said,Americans just need to lower their standards.Even in 3rd world countries people still figure out a way to get around,just think of the billions in infrastructure we could save in wear and tear alone if the little people stopped driving.

In 1973 the average cost of a new car was $3500 and represented 1/3 of the medium salary.

2021 the average cost of a new car is $54,000 and represents 56% of the medium salary, that’s why the older cars were shot at 80,000 miles,because they did not have to last longer because the adverage person could afford to buy a new one every 2 years,and they did as a majority.

I think with the Lyriq they are going to end up doing what the are already doing,sorry cannot fill the order,here is your $100 back,because by the time it is ready for delivery,that $64k car is going to be $80k and the COL increases and demand on materials is going to shoot the prices up.

They say they are already opening up slots for 2024,Washington State has gas stations running out of gas and changing the readers for $10 per gallon of gas.

Texas utilities have sent out notices to EV owners asking them not to charge during peak times of 4 pm and 8pm in order to stave off anticipated rolling blackouts.

Thats what people do not seem to comprehend as they support these polices,gas hits $10 per gallon,everything else is adjusted up accordingly,you start having rolling blackouts the economic impact makes a trucker strike in Canada look like a Sunday walk in the park.

This looks good because they got 225,000 to raise their hand and say,yea I would buy one but the reality is anybody can do that,it’s when the tires meet the pavement that it really counts.

Between chip shortages and everything else involved in the manufacturing of a automobile,they are going into a very rough next couple of years.

The manufacturers are positioning to centralize but that is going to take up to 5 years to establish and bring online for production,there is going to be a lot of pain in-between.

6 months ago Rivian was the golden boy,their stock has been in a steady nose dive and now they announced that they will not even be able to make any kind of projections.

EVs are like IPhones on wheels,get on the list for 2024 and you will be waiting to buy a new car skin with old technology.

Us older folks have seen how technology advances and the speed of it,the EVs built in 2022 are the Betamax’s in 2023.

I kinda think for auto manufacturers to survive in this game they have to keep upping the cutting edge,otherwise they will be lost in the sea of being left behind.

That’s expensive to do,lots more will be dusting off their bicycles during that process in the future.

The way it is going now,simply being able to own a car will be a status symbol.

Cause and effect of that will be the the ones with money will live in the suburbs,the ones with out will have no choice but to migrate and create density around employment centers,that demand will drive up the rates which is going to leave millions stuck right in the middle,and that’s how you get 60,000 plus homeless living in one city.
    Last edited by Richard; May-22-22 at 01:35 AM.

Orange has never been a favorite of mine.

You stop driving first! Hah. As long as I can I will. Sure I drive less, do more carpooling with others to shared destinations. But no, I am not peddling for transpo. I'll leave the cycling to my scheduled times of exercise.

Indeed, in general most American's are going to have less options on many levels [excluding the elite who'll preach the benefits asserted therein]. Some may self-choose an ideology to cope and justify. It'll be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ well they do say driving is a privilege and not a right,if the low wage earners cannot afford a car,walk bike or bus,like she said,Americans just need to lower their standards.Even in 3rd world countries people still figure out a way to get around,just think of the billions in infrastructure we could save in wear and tear alone if the little people stopped driving.....
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-22-22 at 03:06 PM.

You don't have to like or prefer orange to acknowledge the mess we're in now [city and state wise, nationally]......

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-22-22 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post

I does not have to be,one just has to understand cause and effect of the policies they support.

It’s not like the planet was just created today,just as there is a history of what works,there is a history of what does not and the impact on those it effects the most detrimentally,Detroit and other cities still suffer from bad policy decisions made decades ago.

I used to buy cars at the auction with blown engines ,the first thing I would do is send them to the detail shop,they would be sold before I even changed the engine,people did not care about the meat and potatoes part,they only cared about if it looked good.
    Last edited by Richard; May-22-22 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    You stop driving first! Hah. As long as I can I will. Sure I drive less, do more carpooling with others to shared destinations. But no, I am not peddling for transpo. I'll leave the cycling to my scheduled times of exercise.

Indeed, in general most American's are going to have less options on many levels [excluding the elite who'll preach the benefits asserted therein]. Some may self-choose an ideology to cope and justify. It'll be interesting!
    The same “option” as always remains. Oil is a commodity and the market determines the price. Only one country has the capacity and infrastructure of significantly bringing more oil to market quickly and it is Saudi Arabia. The Saudis have enemies to their east and north with more to surely arise… [ a very War oriented part of the world ] Next up, since Saudi citizens are not at all interested in dying for their monarchy in battle and see that as unpleasant and beneath them, they expect American young men to do that nasty business for them. After all, they pay good money for the service.

So your option is: Elect a President that will make his first trip on Air Force One to dance for the House of Saud, accept their handsome bribes, and commit American blood and treasure to fight their wars for them. It has been a time tested proven way to make it less expensive to fill your Toyota’s tank. If that is your only measure of the cost of fighting other countries’ wars, then all will be good. Until…well, it doesn’t work out so good. Wars can and do go wrong fast. Especially contrived ones. Ask Putin or Bush 43.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-22-22 at 07:11 PM.

^ that’s not true,we as well as Canada has plenty of oil,saudis do not need to be in the picture outside of they sit on OPEC which sets the price for oil,buying from them gives us leverage a when it comes to price controls.

The U.S. and Canada can actually ramp up the production to create a glut and crash Saudi oil.

90% of all Saudi oil goes directly to the shipping industry,there is no Saudi oil or gas sold in the U.S..

They do that so you can buy your cheap crap from China,it’s all connected.

Saudi oil directly controls the global shipping industry which directly controls the price you pay for everything that you buy and nobody has burned one gallon of Saudi gas in their car.

Don’t like ‘em,stop buying imported crap.

It’s a bit more complex.

That’s why Saudi said - piss off why should we ramp up production? The only thing it will do is drop the price on global shipping,it will do nothing at the pump.

But they do make a good scapegoat,like their women, Americans get right inline behind them.

Not for nothing but your governor is trying hard to shut down the pipeline out of Calgary,what do you think happens then?

How about there is a direct correlation in taking office and immediately shutting down internal production so we have to suck up to the Saudis,you do not like them but you gave them complete control day one.

It is nice to see all of the boxes checked

Evil Saudis - check
    Putin - check
    It was your boss man that started this current war and is ramping up actions again in Somalia.

The reason your bosses son was in Ukraine?

That was about the same time they discovered one of largest reserves of natural gas and oil in the world,in the Black Sea right at their doorstep,they are just waiting to tap into it.

Nobody gave a crap about Ukraine in 2014 when Russia took Crimeia,you boss man was #2 in the country and he did not bat an eye,your girl only cared because Haiti was tapped out and they needed to find a new laundromat,Putin is more then willing to play that game.

As soon as massive reserves are discovered,we care about Ukraine.

Their war has been going on over 8 years

It’s almost like they own stock in fossil fuels and the war machine.

O wait - they do.

The world runs on fossil fuel,you cannot pull the rug out from under it and expect good results,now in the fall when food shortages kick in,1/2 the world is going to be in turmoil with food riots and millions starving to death.

The shining light in all of that is we get to drive brand new EVs so we can save the planet that we destroyed for the privilege.

Build back better - what is being built back,to build back something it has to be destroyed first,so you can build back better,it does not matter who you support,we are all disposable.

Us regular folk believe it is all about democracy and the people there are fighting and dying for their land but at the end of the day and for those at the top,no matter what side,it’s about control over resources and money,it’s just business to them.

This is like the 1970s all over again,where it does not matter what the price of gas is,if you cannot get it,what wage you will earn,because you will not find a job.

We are supposed to be one of the wealthiest nations in the world,one that help saved the world with our abilities,but yet today we are flying in baby formula as we go begging to the rest of the world so we can feed our babies.

Instead of support a starving African baby for $1 per day commercial,next week …

it will be support an American starving baby for $100 per day.
    Last edited by Richard; May-22-22 at 08:10 PM.