Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cross-border space-sharing agreement boost to entrepreneurs

For the past two decades downtown Detroit has been going from one triumph to another, like the Red Wings back in the nineties, while downtown Windsor limps along trying to stay positive and taking comfort in the occasional victory like the Maple Leafs. Maybe the influx of new ideas from entrepreneurs across the border will help downtown Windsor come back to life after losing the battle to suburban sprawl. Local members gain access to facilities and programs in Detroit area | Windsor Star

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret's boy View Post
    For the past two decades downtown Detroit has been going from one triumph to another, like the Red Wings back in the nineties, while downtown Windsor limps along trying to stay positive and taking comfort in the occasional victory like the Maple Leafs. Maybe the influx of new ideas from entrepreneurs across the border will help downtown Windsor come back to life after losing the battle to suburban sprawl. Local members gain access to facilities and programs in Detroit area | Windsor Star
    Who cares? Does anyone come to this site seeking information about Windsor or Canada in general? This notion that Detroit and Windsor and Michigan and Ontario are part and parcel feels trite and forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Who cares? Does anyone come to this site seeking information about Windsor or Canada in general? This notion that Detroit and Windsor and Michigan and Ontario are part and parcel feels trite and forced.
    I gotta agree. In recent years the border has become less and less friendly. The two countries seem more like the US and Mexico every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    ... This notion that Detroit and Windsor and Michigan and Ontario are part and parcel feels trite and forced.
    Confucius say: Man who fart in church sit in own pew.

You can see the trends in the automotive sector playing out where the manufacturers are creating self supported country production,no need for cross border moving of parts etc.

I can see how this would be beneficial based solely on the government grants aspect.

If Canada has liberal grant programs you could set up this little office to capitalize on that and have your main office on the Detroit side and capitalize on the U.S. grant process.

I can say I have a green energy company with offices in Detroit and Canada ,and I am instantly a multi national company,even if my green energy is green energy pills maybe.

Or due to the re-emergence of what could potentially a burgeoning otter fur trade industry,it may be practical to have offices on both sides.

As far as the small person,even with the cross border help,you would have to devote every waking moment wading through the mountains of regulations on both sides.

It looks good on paper but to me it will be very low impact effecting very few people,personally and given recent events,no way in the world,there would always be that uneasiness in the back of one’s mind that it could all disappear with the stroke of a pen in the matter of hours or minutes,to risky.

Confucius say: Man who fart in church sit in own pew.

Did Confucius ever even go to church ? I believe he/she/them/it would have gone to a temple,which would have been open space and airy,tough to smell one’s own farts under those conditions.
    Last edited by Richard; May-18-22 at 10:27 PM.

Lots of dumb posts above. As a part of Metro Detroit, Windsor threads are relevant and appreciated. Additionally, more collaboration between our two nations is needed. The Gordie Howe is a big step forward, but initiatives such as commuter rail and pedestrian crossings, ferries, etc., are needed to further strengthen our international corridor.

In 2018, Michigan export sales totaled more than $23 billion to Canada – 7.4 percent of Canada’s total U.S. imports, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce. Canada is Michigan’s number one export destination and Michigan sells more goods to Canada than to its next seven largest foreign markets

Last edited by MrMichigan; May-18-22 at 11:09 PM.

I agree dumb post above.

It is a whole nuther world then it was in 2018.Both in the financial market and how countries are rethinking their independence from the global market.

When a country 9000 miles away dictates how much you are going to spend at the grocery store or gas pump,people have a tendency to rethink things.

In 2018 the GHB went from 3 billion to 6 billion imagine what it is now and who pays that and who is going to pay the extra it will cost,because the original rate of return was based in those numbers.

The goal is for countries to be self dependent,those trade numbers will continue to decrease.

Not for nothing but the posted numbers are wrong,it was actually $28.2 billion in exports from Michigan to Canada in the manufacturing sector ONLY which represented 80% of Michigan exports.

Take out the automotive sector and the true export numbers sit at roughly $18 billion - in 2018.

But like I posted,currently the automakers are gearing up to be regionally self supported as a buffer to supply chain issues,so you will see nowhere near any of those numbers coming up in the future.

But you will be paying dearly for previous decisions based on those numbers because the loss difference will have to be made up.

Yes in 2021 Canada was the U.S. as a whole largest trading partner,representing 15% of total trade. but it came at a cost to the U.S. because it only represents 12% of our imports from Canada.

Canada is running a consistent -49.5 % trade imbalance with the U.S.and it is going to get worse as the automobile sector drops out.

The good news is the U.S. is loading up troops on planes to send back into Somalia which is going to increase the need for Canadian armaments,so those billions will help pull through the upcoming downturn.

Which in turn will throw all of these numbers right out the window until economics and markets stabilize again.

So right now,trade numbers are pointless when used in a discussion.

The current tariffs in place were actually put in place to protect Michigans interests over Canadas because in the past Canada was undercutting Michigan products and hurting them,maybe play nice and we can work on getting that trade deficit down?

In the meantime,nobody was really partners in that sense,because it was a one sided relationship.
    Last edited by Richard; May-19-22 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I gotta agree. In recent years the border has become less and less friendly. The two countries seem more like the US and Mexico every day.

Especially when one is deemed by some living in the other to be only good for fishing, lol.
    Last edited by canuck; May-19-22 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Especially when one is deemed by some living in the other to be only good for fishing, lol.
    Well he's wrong!! You're also good for your world class actors, comedians, Beaver Tails [miles ahead of our "Elephant Ears"] ...and Bacon!

... and Schitt's Creek!!!
    Last edited by Gistok; May-19-22 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well he's wrong!! You're also good for your world class actors, comedians, Beaver Tails [miles ahead of our "Elephant Ears"] ...and Bacon!

... and Schitt's Creek!!!

Lol. Is there any good fishing at Shitt’s Creek I wonder?

You should try some of our Montreal style bagels, smoked meat sandwiches!
    I’m not a fan of poutine, I’ve only had it once after a well soaked evening out with a buddy of mine years ago at the end of a gig.