Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lincoln Mercury Dealership

Hi all!

Was there ever a Lincoln Mercury Dealership on the eastside of Detroit? People tell me there use to me one at 7 mile and Van Dyke possible. Does anyone have any pictures? Thanks for your help!

The only Detroit Lincoln Mercury Dealership I remember was Maxey on Mack near Cadieux.

People tell me there use to be one around 7 mile and Van Dyke before 1972 possibly.

There was a Lincoln dealership on Jefferson, probably close to downtown. I don't know if it survived long enough to add Mercury. Its facade was replicated by the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation on a new structure on the campus of the Gilmore museum near Kalamazoo, as a museum for Lincoln cars. But I never asked where the original dealership was.

The only Lincoln-Mercury dealer I remember was Park Motors on Woodward between 6 and 7 Mile Rd. My Aunt loved Mercury's and always bought from there over the years.

1969 Freep

And Suburban. One in GP

Very cool lists!

Park Motors looks like they survived until the financial crisis as a stand alone Lincoln Mercury Dealer. The others all seem to be long gone, replaced by fast food joints in several cases.

Maxey was located on Gratiot and Houston-Whittier in the early 70’s before they moved to Mack and Cadieux. The Gratiot location was at least two Pontiac dealerships from the late 40’s. Prior to that it was my grandfather’s grocery store.

My first car was a Capri. I thought it looked classier than the Mustang. Two tone interior and exterior. Financed it at 18% and people complain about today's rates.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And Suburban. One in GP
    Before moving to GPF, the Frank Adam dealership was previously on the west side of Gratiot, a little south of 6 Mile. I know they were there in the 1950s into the early 60s because my dad bought a couple of cars from them.

If anyone has any pictures of the Crest Mercury at 19840 Van Dyke I would love to see them. I'm putting something together for Crest Lincoln's Anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And Suburban. One in GP
    It should be noted that shortly after this list ran, Evans moved to Fort Street and Pennsylvania, where it still operates as Southgate Lincoln.

This might be Mulligan's. I can't see an address on the building or any nearby.

Name:  Mulligan.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  68.5 KB

Crest also had a Lincoln-Mercury store at 12740 Gratiot from 1970-1972.

The Batmobile was actually a 1955 Lincoln concept car built by Ford Motor Company. Ford sold the Lincoln to Chuck Barris for one dollar and debuted on TV January 12, 1966. In 2013, Batmobile sold for $4.62 million, a record for TV and movie cars.

Name:  batmobile [[2).jpg
Views: 522
Size:  193.6 KB

A Lincoln-Mercury Dealership was also located for awhile at Gratiot and Gunston in the building that presently houses the Gentle Dental place. Frank Guns and Bart were a couple of the names. By the very late 1960's or early 1970's, Dick Green ended up with the building expanding his Chrysler-Plymouth empire.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; May-24-22 at 09:43 PM.

I remember the Dick Green showroom very well. I used to stand in front of it waiting for the northbound [[eastbound?) Gratiot bus to go home from DeLaSalle. For some time they had a Plymouth Superbird on display in that showroom. I wonder whatever happened to it.

Bart on Jefferson is where my parents bought their red 1967 Mercury Montego convertible. Easily the worst car they ever owned, with constant electrical problems and leaks that regularly froze all the locks and left the trunk constantly damp. It was, however, popular with thieves for some reason.

My father bought Chryslers for the rest of his life because of that car, even though my mother got a discount due to her father being a 30+ year Ford employee.

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    Maxey was located on Gratiot and Houston-Whittier in the early 70’s before they moved to Mack and Cadieux. The Gratiot location was at least two Pontiac dealerships from the late 40’s. Prior to that it was my grandfather’s grocery store.
    Burke Pontiac was in there for awhile. Down at Gratiot and Findlay-Racine was a Ford Dealership. Mike Dorian took that over from Lewis Brown around 1964.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; May-25-22 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Crest also had a Lincoln-Mercury store at 12740 Gratiot from 1970-1972.
    Formerly the Burke Pontiac location.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Financed it at 18% and people complain about today's rates.

The average price for a new car in the U.S was around $35,000 last year, and, according to Experian Automotive, the average new-car loan was $32,119 in the second quarter of 2019. New cars or trucks cost around 38 percent more today than they did 10 years ago, with the transaction price for some popular SUVs and trucks more like 60 or 70 percent higher than in 2009. Compare that to the change in real median household incomes in the past decade, which went from around $59,000 in 2009 to $62,000 in 2018. In other words, not a 60 or 70 percent increase, or even 38 percent
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...rs-priced-out/
    Last edited by hybridy; May-25-22 at 02:53 PM.