Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

It was, indeed, arson!!!

3. Default

Damn. Sad loss. I lived three blocks from there for 27 years. I would have been breathing that smoke like I did of so many others. It was such a beautiful stone building with great facilities. Robert Elmes of Galapagos Brooklyn [a former artspace in Brooklyn] bought it in the pipe dream of creating a Galapagos Detroit as an artspace and residency, but nothing ever came of it.

Highland Park High School in 2003 when it was a career academy.
    Name:  hphs-enter-06022.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  214.7 KB

Name:  hphs-full-06017.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  81.8 KB

Backside of Highland Park High School in 2014 with Robert Elmes [left] and my late friend Tony Pieroni [aka WC3] when Elmes was pitching his Galapagos Detroit.
    Name:  hphs-wc3-IMG_0842.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  88.6 KB

Thank you for these details Lowell! I recall your home in HP of course.

So VERY sad to see this happen. Will it now sit, a ravished, burnt-out hulk as the case those two other large apartment buildings on Woodward? Even when torn down this will be a huge footprint of nothing - this property complex is huge!

Bicycled past the building today. So sad as the place was beautiful. So much history and future potential lost.

Lowell... was that the school that you and the late Tony Pieroni were showing to an out of town developer?