Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Rest in Peace Gentle Giant!!

I was just starting to follow the NBA a little when Lanier was playing. It's too bad talents like Bing and him had to play before such tiny crowds at Cobo. Kind of like the Pistons of today at Little Caesars actually!
    I did get to attend the game where they retired his number at the Palace.
    Whenever I walked back from a Tiger game in the 70's with someone new I would stop by the Lindell AC to show them Big Bob's shoes in the display case window.

Saw several of his games at Cobo, I don't think he ever played at The Palace, he was a huge talent and great to watch - I would say one of the best centers in the history of the league. Like a lot of great athletes from the Detroit area, the Pistons could never figure out how to win with him.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Saw several of his games at Cobo, I don't think he ever played at The Palace, he was a huge talent and great to watch - I would say one of the best centers in the history of the league. Like a lot of great athletes from the Detroit area, the Pistons could never figure out how to win with him.
    He definitely didn't play at the Palace. His last few seasons with Milwaukee he played the Pistons at the Silverdome.

Many of us high school chums went to watch Lanier/Pistons at Cobo, you could sit "anywhere" for the ticket price of just $5. . .beers [[cup) were just 50-cents & we thought that price was outrageous [[6-pks back then selling for 99-cents; Goebel, Ballantine, Old Milwaukee).

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Many of us high school chums went to watch Lanier/Pistons at Cobo, you could sit "anywhere" for the ticket price of just $5. . .beers [[cup) were just 50-cents & we thought that price was outrageous [[6-pks back then selling for 99-cents; Goebel, Ballantine, Old Milwaukee).

Those were the Good Ole Days !! Cobo use to rock even though the Pistons didn't have many good seasons, just like the Lions.