Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Top grocers in Detroit-area, by 2021 market share

The winners, losers and ones to watch in Detroit's grocery wars
    Apr 25, 2022 - News Axios Media, Annalise Frank
    Kroger beat Meijer for most popular Southeast Michigan grocery store with 82 stores in the region [[but none in Detroit) trumping Meijer's 40 locations. This data would be vastly different, of course, if we looked at just Detroit.
    Detroit recently got its third Meijer location — a small-format store called Rivertown Market on Jefferson — but, in general, big grocers have failed to establish meaningful presences here.
    There's dozens of independent grocers, but that doesn’t fill the need for sustainable healthy food options. Nearly 40% of Detroit households are food insecure, according to a 2019 Detroit Food Policy Council.
    $500 million in Detroit grocery retail revenue is lost per year because people shop outside the city, the report says.

Name:  ScreenHunter 256.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  49.3 KB

Not sure you can say Kroger is most popular based on number of locations, particularly since they are stand alone stores vs. Meijer and Walmart, which are mostly supercenters.

Why do you say independent stores don't fill the need for sustainable healthy food options? Like as if that can only be achieved with a corporate chain?

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Why do you say independent stores don't fill the need for sustainable healthy food options? Like as if that can only be achieved with a corporate chain?
    d
    Let's not pretend that the Spartan chained independent stores in Detroit didn't sell outdated or spoiled products at high prices

I dunno. Some are higher on some products, while others are lower. But we're usually talking pennies, so who really GAF? Me? I just head for the nearest store and save a half gallon of gas.

I'm surprised Great Scott or Chatham didn't make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    d
    Let's not pretend that the Spartan chained independent stores in Detroit didn't sell outdated or spoiled products at high prices
    Didn't?

They still do, even though the Spartan name is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm surprised Great Scott or Chatham didn't make the list.
    I was hoping to see Farmer Jack make an appearance on the list, personally.

I count 14+/- WalMart locations [[not counting metro AA). Crazy that they can pull in vs Kroger store count. I never set foot in WalMart…

Counted 20 Walmarts and 20 Targets stores <30 miles from Downtown. Looks like Detroit has 50% of those stores [[60% if you count future Target and looking at stores that are currently in Detroit and not have previously been in Detroit). Looks like Detroit still needs a Walmart, Kroger, Costco, and Sam's Club within the city limits. Kroger is the more likely to open in the city limits compared to the other three.

February 23, 1963, that's what it says in the top left corner. Expensive!

Name:  7f9bab06ccf96ead4f77dd7411e92e4e.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  274.7 KB

I'm excited for the new North End Co-Op. It's less than a mile from my home and my hope is it will become my new go-to grocery store.

https://wdet.org/2021/04/08/Detroit-...-End-Location/

I would love to see more like this pop up!

^ Yes, YES! Count me in for shopping here sometimes when it opens.

Kroger is a POS in Metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Kroger is a POS in Metro Detroit.
    Kroger is a POS everywhere.

^ You must have experienced that one on Eight and Meyers. Ick!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Kroger is a POS everywhere.
    The POS are these independent grocery stores that had been operating in Detroit for 50 plus years. The prices were always high, the produces were always outdated, spoiled, or restamped. Only one or two were decent.

You aren't wrong. All of these issues you are citing are there. One of the dealbreakers for me personally are the "dragon teeth" - the barricades to retain shopping carts inside the store. They are understandable though. Another dealbreaker is the milk is nowhere near as fresh as that from Kroger or Meijer. For me the milk has to be the freshest or I won't be buying any. Then there's the heavily armed blockhouse on the second floor that the management watches over the floor from. The store clerks are all human, not self-checkout. One or two have been all too human, expressing contempt for the unkempt buying their snacks and cigs there.

But on the other hand. This store procured large amounts of turkey dark meat ahead of one Great Recession Thanksgiving, drums and wings, and many customers were buying these bargain priced packages for their holiday meal. One neighbor had a particular item they wanted stocked at this store and someone did stock that item as requested. The store stocked Spartan Store staples when those were available, which were fine. Their shopping carts are never seen anywhere but inside their store. Detroit has shopping cart hoarders, also a few people who leave shopping carts in neighborhoods possibly for later use for removing others' transportable valuables for exchange for street drugs. If a shopping cart should appear on my block I will take it back to its store ASAP.
    Last edited by Dumpling; May-09-22 at 09:54 AM.

I stopped doing Krogers 15 or 20 years ago.

Never had a problem with Spartan stores when I was there until the late 90s. Have they changed?

I use independently owned stores now, or employee owned franchise chain stores.

I look for milk at or just past the stamped date and often get it for 99 cents a gallon.

I currently pay near many of those Chatham prices. Canned goods are often 2 or 3 for a dollar for example. I can almost always get pork roast for under $1.50 lb and peanut butter for under a buck a jar without needing a filled card.

I think "Our Family" products might be just rebranded "Spartan Store" products but I'm not sure.

SpartanNash introduces Our Family® brand to Michigan retail stores, independent retail customers - SpartanNash Company