Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Monica Conyers runs for Wayne County Exec. despite conviction

No shame in politicians. Kwame says "You go girl!"

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ce/9541868002/

What's the point if you can run for office, but are ineligible to HOLD office??

better get some popcorn... the show might get interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    If it looks like she has a lot of support she can pick another candidate and say,I can steer my supporters to you so you can win and all I ask in exchange is …..

Political leverage where politicians buy other politicians or play puppet master/king makers behind the scenes.
    Last edited by Richard; April-26-22 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If it looks like she has a lot of support she can pick another candidate and say,I can steer my supporters to you so you can win and all I ask in exchange is …..

Political leverage where politicians buy other politicians or play puppet master/king makers behind the scenes.
    She may have a tough time trying to do even that, since more than half of Wayne County's population lives outside of Detroit... which would pretty much limit of her political base.

Current County Executive Warren Evans is African-American, and is popular. If he does run for re-election, then I doubt that Monica Conyers would have a chance. Also, the state legislature is trying to change County Executive elections to coincide with presidential elections, which would mean that the 2022 race is only for 2 years... and normal 4 year election cycles would start in 2024.

Oh no she's not!

Mon-Con can't run for any politics in Michigan until 2029. If she does, it will be illegal and could face more criminal charges.

She loses in the so-called "Kwame Kilpatrick Amendment" law.
    Last edited by Danny; April-27-22 at 09:07 AM.

She has a "Snowball's Chance in Hell" beating Warren Evans, even if she could run. He's done a good job as County Executive.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-30-22 at 11:36 AM.

Perhaps crazy Monica thinks Detroit is like Washington D.C., who re-elected Marion Barry mayor after he got out of prison?

[Marion having overseen a dramatic rise in crime rates in DC., having also had a long history of cocaine use, public scandals, wasteful spending of taxpayer funds, and even having been caught on film smoking crack.]

Don't laugh... look at the world right now.
    This skank needs a job at mcdonalds drive thru...for the rest of her life. At least screw ups are expected there!

The main problem with her type is they self-justify themselves no matter what they do and others share in the delusion.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    This skank needs a job at mcdonalds drive thru...for the rest of her life. At least screw ups are expected there!

Yep. The other nice thing is, there’s very little cash in the till
    at drive thrus anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Perhaps to phish for campaign contributions? There must be some sort of grift involved.

Doubtful if it occurred to those drafting the law, but if they thought "Nobody in their right mind would run knowing they can't hold office" that's where they made their mistake.

She might have been "urged" to run at the request of one of the opposing candidates to sway or split votes.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-30-22 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Perhaps to phish for campaign contributions? There must be some sort of grift involved.
    Who in their right mind would make campaign contributions?
    It would be like burning money.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Who in their right mind would make campaign contributions?
    It would be like burning money.
    Democrats are dumb. But you knew that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Monica Conyers has never worked an honest day in her life.

To begin, as a preference, I won't vote for someone who has been convicted of bribery or who is strongly suspected to have committed bribery. The full explanation for why is beyond the scope of this thread.

THAT said, Dr. Conyers, Esq., has a high achieving resume that is to be appreciated, and any snarky and insulting remarks [unless maybe around the bribery issues that she did serve time for and may be considered to have been made to atone for so further snark and insults achieve nothing more of value especially if she has expressed remorse] are uncalled for.

[E.G. "never worked an honest day in her life"]

Monica Conyers - Wikipedia

Back in the day, for a woman, simply being married and having two sons checked the boxes for what she was expected to do. Raising two sons is considered to be hard work.

But, she has achieved further. As according to the Wikipedia article, she completed a four year degree, then obtained a law degree. It is considered to be hard work to finish a law degree.

Special education teachers are in general highly appreciated for what they do. Therefore they are paid a living wage and receive the fringe benefits and pensions that teachers usually receive.

^ Points well made!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    , she completed a four year degree, then obtained a law degree. It is considered to be hard work to finish a law degree.

Certainly it is at a good law school, and if you did well, and if you learned enough to pass the Bar exam.

However, U of DC is near the bottom of law schools [[142 out of 172 ?)

And she never passed the Bar, and never became a lawyer.

So it's a little hard to judge her based on that.

I'm going to guess that being corrupt, racist and crazy in her more recent years will probably carry more weight with voters.

According to her Detroit Historical Society bio she did pass an OUT-OF-STATE bar exam [though the state was not mentioned].

Detroit voters will probably vote for Dr. Conyers based on her past City Council presence. As a comparison Brenda Jones was a top vote getter because she made sure to have responsive staff members attending community meetings. Of course this would only partly extend to non-Detroit communities in Wayne County.

It may be that her conviction is preventing her from practicing law in this state.
    Last edited by Dumpling; May-03-22 at 10:49 AM.

There was an earlier thread about the number of past city residents that moved out into the county,I kinda think it may be a test of sorts to see if she retains that support outside of the city and if those residents that moved still retain that pattern.

She could be one of the reasons many left in the first place and she may be running just to see if she can garner support outside of the city for future ambitions.

But I agree ,it is more about control through swing votes in order to retain some power.

The scandal that brought her down saw Conyers sell her swing vote on the city council for approximately $6,000.

But she will end up with one of two messages,it’s time to go away or it’s time to double down.
    Last edited by Richard; May-03-22 at 11:11 AM.

Here is a Detroit Free Press article discussing being able to practice law in Michigan if one has been convicted of a felony. It appears that one can practice law but there are onerous hurdles to overcome.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...id/2596961001/

But the letter continued: “Ms. Monica Conyers sat for the February 2003, February 2004 and February 2005 Michigan bar examinations and failed those exams.”
    Had she taken the bar exam since February 2005? I mailed off another letter to the Board of Law Examiners on June 6, 2008 and the response from the Board was was dated June 10, 2008.
    According to the Board of Law Examiners, “Ms. Conyers subsequently sat for the July 2007 Michigan bar examination and failed that exam.”
    Four times Monica Conyers flunked the bar exam.

http://www.joelontheroad.com/what-th...id-for-monica/

That was in 2009 and still had not passed the Michigan bar in 2016.

Last edited by Richard; May-03-22 at 11:07 AM.

I doubt that Dr. Conyers has any effect on anyone's decision to stay in Detroit or leave Detroit. A young family near me is in the process of moving. The largest factor is that they felt they needed more homestead space. A second factor might be the schools, followed by a concern about violent crime. Specifically since 2007 there have been eight men who have been killed in about a quarter mile stretch just on my street. My block doubles as a memorial park for them. There have been commemorative picnics and numerous little curbside memorials placed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast