Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Irony? -> Buddy's Pizza all you can eat event benefits those in need

I'm sure they mean well and I love Buddy's pizza but somehow this rings very oddly. Eat all you can to help those who lack food? Surely there's a better way to make such a gesture. If you were head of Buddy's marketing how would you do it?

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...96b8d9_134842c

Name:  Buddys-pizza.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  66.9 KB

Sort of like having a Charity Orgy to pay for Teen Abstinence Programs.

I made a donation last year to the Capuchin Soup
    Kitchen [CSK]. I am a newbie to that community
    but can pass along that Ahee Jewelers is also a
    generous donor organization for CSK going way back.
    There is an annual raffle of various items of their
    jewelry to benefit CSK, so if pizza happens to be
    off your diet and against your conscience, but you
    can wear jewelry, check that out!

There is potentially enough food in the world to
    go around for everyone on the planet. There are
    very often logistics barriers in the worst cases
    of hunger and starvation such as conflict zones
    that contribute to the lack of food access.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Now that's an idea! Count me out though. I threw out my shag carpet and weirdo lighting years ago.

Why is this "ironic" [[I assume meant in a bad way)? This event has been going on for decades, and my family has gone every year. Buddy's gives away a lot of pizza for this event, and people give a lot more money to the Capuchins than just the pizza is worth, so it's certainly not like anyone is profiteering from the event. It's raised a significant amount of money for the Capuchin's soup kitchen and other operations serving the poor over the years, and is part of an ongoing fund raising campaign that continues throughout the year.

I think you got this take wrong Lowell. Just because people eat a lot and enjoy themselves while also giving for those in need does not mean that they are somehow snatching food out of someone's mouth. In fact, the result is quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Why is this "ironic" [[I assume meant in a bad way)? This event has been going on for decades, and my family has gone every year. Buddy's gives away a lot of pizza for this event, and people give a lot more money to the Capuchins than just the pizza is worth, so it's certainly not like anyone is profiteering from the event. It's raised a significant amount of money for the Capuchin's soup kitchen and other operations serving the poor over the years, and is part of an ongoing fund raising campaign that continues throughout the year.

I think you got this take wrong Lowell. Just because people eat a lot and enjoy themselves while also giving for those in need does not mean that they are somehow snatching food out of someone's mouth. In fact, the result is quite the opposite.

I agree with you, good post. This is a non-issue, non-problem. There's gambling for charity, gala balls, for charity, I don't understand why this upsets anyone.

I don't think anyone's upset. Irony doesn't have to always be "in a bad way."

Ticket = $18

We feed the homeless,baked chicken,rice,vegetable,meal for about $3.50 per meal so that would be 6 people fed off of 1 ticket sale.

They have raised over 3 million during their history of fundraising so they deserve some credit ?

The marketing worked because people are discussing it.
    Last edited by Richard; April-24-22 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    In the interest of public safety,make sure you wear a mask if you attend, just in case COVID is still floating around,would not want to catch anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    In the interest of public safety,make sure you wear a mask if you attend, just in case COVID is still floating around,would not want to catch anything.
    For an orgy... mask wearing isn't the only part that needs covering up... cough STD...

^ Yet someone present may be donning their 'eh 'facial' mask.........

I am thinking in the 60s a pizza party orgy fund raiser would have been perfectly acceptable,even more so if the sauce was laced with Mother Natures herbs.

Times have changed I guess.

I paid $28 - $38 with tip for a nasty hungry howies pizza and 2 liter the other day,$18 all you can eat for a real pizza is a deal.
    Last edited by Richard; April-26-22 at 08:04 AM.