Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Will You USE Blended Ethanol Gas in Your Car? Will it help?

Biden waiving ethanol rule in bid to lower gasoline prices...

https://apnews.com/article/biden-bus...f4813334aeae64

We will not be putting this in our cars [which thankfully take the lower priced 87 octane gasoline].

Will this small 'savings' not rise grain and other prices related to corn, corn feed, etc. How's about risking your car engine?

That could end up quite expensive!
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-13-22 at 05:43 PM.

My last vehicle ran on regular gasoline and E85 Ethanol. COOL! I can save $.27 a gallon! It didn't work that way. Turns out Ethanol isn't as combustible as gasoline, so as I saved at the pump my mileage went. Savings were null. Also, if your vehicle isn't designed to run on higher amounts of Ethanol, you could end up with mechanical problems down the road.

If your car was built in the last 20 years then it's certified to run E15. I won't be burning it because there's like 12 stations in the state that sell it. Meanwhile, you've all been burning E10 for a decade, so what's another 5%?

What a Summer Blend a corn fuel.

Yeah. I've heard it runs a bit 'watery' in regards to performance and mileage. I don't own race-fast-cars, but I'll stick with the gas I already use.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ...Turns out Ethanol isn't as combustible as gasoline, so as I saved at the pump my mileage went. Savings were null. Also, if your vehicle isn't designed to run on higher amounts of Ethanol, you could end up with mechanical problems down the road.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-13-22 at 06:40 PM.

One of our cars is exactly 20 years old in great shape @ over 200K [a Toyota].

I doubt this is rare in this city [older cars], and economy, increasingly.

I'm not takin' a chance to save a small fraction, relative to expensive and avoidable engine problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    If your car was built in the last 20 years then it's certified to run E15. I won't be burning it because there's like 12 stations in the state that sell it. Meanwhile, you've all been burning E10 for a decade, so what's another 5%?

Say what? Which?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    What a Summer Blend a corn fuel.

I vaguely recall someone advising {for old cars, lawn mowers, snowblowers, etc.} to buy gas at a marina. Boat engines typically don't handle ethanol well. It had something to do with ethanol dissolving plastic parts over time.

I have no idea whether that's true. Can anyone confirm that?

All this will do is create havoc for those with gas powered boats, lawnmowers, chain saws, etc. The high ethanol content on the fuel destroys gaskets, seals and rubber hoses especially in equipment that sits for long periods. It's also less stable than regular gasoline so it can't be stored as long as it will separate and can lead to all sorts of issues, even in cars that are made to run it.

^ I sure wouldn't run it in some older BMW or Mercedes models with all their plastics. The rodents have a grand time as it is when they sit too long.

RE: marina

In older small engines [[boats, mowers, chain saws, weed wackers and more) ethanol causes quick plastic deterioration and/or carburetor issues.
    In Northerm MI, most stations sell something called REC GAS [[instead of premium), which is quite expensive. In most instances, REC does not include ethanol [[some do). Snowmobilers use REC.
    The box stores also sell non-ethanol gas in a quart can. More expensive than REC at the pump.

There are stations all over the state that use Rec Gas; just do a search. I know for a fact there is one in Warren on 10 Mile and Ryan. There is another at Metro and Jefferson. Don't even try to get it at a marina unless you pull your boat up to the dock. In that case, there are several in SCS in the million dollar strip. My SIL's generator, which is loaned us for several days last summer, prefers Rec Gas. Quite a bit of it sold down river.

Using a food source as fuel is a terrible idea. I'm 90% sure this is trying to prop up the corn industry as fewer companies are using corn syrup as a sweetener. If the price of corn goes down, you grow something different.

As for if I'll be using it, definitely not. I drive a plug-in hybrid, and I use so little gas I end up using the ICE just to burn off the old gas every couple of months. The high-ethanol gas decomposes much faster than the low-ethanol gas. My wife's car is a diesel truck, so again, definitely not.

Will not be using it.

It increases oil consumption [as it takes slightly more than a gallon of petroleum to make a gallon of ethanol, and then your car gets about 5% less mileage with ethanol blend].

It also increases smog, especially when it's warm out, which is why many states ban it's use in Summer.

Also, we further strip the nutrients out of the soil growing all the extra crops.

And we use up huge amounts of potable water to irrigate the corn crops.

It's bad for older cars and power equipment.

And increases cost.

So it
    - increases the demand for oil,
    - increases pollution,
    - is bad for the soil
    - increases the use of fresh water
    - and is bad for cars that aren't flex fuel.
    - And makes gas more expensive.

So in typical Pres Biden fashion, he creates a problem, then makes it even worse with one of his 'solutions'.
    Last edited by Rocket; April-14-22 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Will not be using it.

It increases oil consumption [as it takes slightly more than a gallon of petroleum to make a gallon of ethanol, and then your car gets about 5% less mileage with ethanol blend].

It also increases smog, especially when it's warm out, which is why many states ban it's use in Summer.

Also, we further strip the nutrients out of the soil growing all the extra crops.

And we use up huge amounts of potable water to irrigate the corn crops.

It's bad for older cars and power equipment.

And increases cost.

So it
    - increases the demand for oil,
    - increases pollution,
    - is bad for the soil
    - increases the use of fresh water
    - and is bad for cars that aren't flex fuel.
    - And makes gas more expensive.

So in typical Pres Biden fashion, he creates a problem, then makes it even worse with one of his 'solutions'.
    Of course it wasn't a problem when Donald Trump pumped it to buy votes, lol!

And it wasn't a problem when President Bush enacted the ethanol mandate in the first place.

And it won't be a problem now, since you can't really buy it around here.

Yeah, they sell quite a bit of it in Iowa, home of corn.

And it wasn't a problem when President Bush enacted the ethanol mandate in the first place.

And it won't be a problem now, since you can't really buy it around here.

What a load of silliness. You've been using it for years. You just don't know and won't know. There are very few places you can get gas without it.

Yes, it can damage older yard equipment and some foreign made replacement parts, but generally only after extended storage ... leaving it in the fuel system over the winter for example. Recommendations are to run them dry of all fuel.

It does not cause harm to motor vehicle engines which have been designed for it for many years.

Y'all need to turn Murdoch's propaganda channel off.

I certainly didn't say that. Didn't even infer it.

It's always been corrupt. The system forces it.

The extra icing on the cake this time is that the Pres had the nerve to say it will LOWER gas prices. He actually said that, on national tv! LOL

[Anything to mask the 8.5% inflation number that came out yesterday. At this rate we'll hit 13.5 by December.]
    Last edited by Rocket; April-14-22 at 03:47 PM.

Yeah-ahh. You don't have to be a GOP Trump-a-votin' devotee to acknowledge this pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    ...So in typical Pres Biden fashion, he creates a problem, then makes it even worse with one of his 'solutions'.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-14-22 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    What a load of silliness. ...
    What do we need. To grow more corn for gasoline, to try to keep prices down? Or to grow more corn to feed poorer countries around the world who are seeing fertilizer prices 'skyrocket', who may desperately need the calories in their diets?

Hint, if you need it.... one of these two things is being enacted explicitly to minimize gas price increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ I sure wouldn't run it in some older BMW or Mercedes models with all their plastics. The rodents have a grand time as it is when they sit too long.
    Funny you brought that up. I know someone who went through hell and back with that problem on his Toyota. It didn’t have to sit long either, it would happen overnight.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...s-can-proceed/
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; April-17-22 at 08:04 PM.

You don't typically eat the type of corn you use in ethanol, at least not directly.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    If you burn ethanol, there will be less food this fall.

So besides increasing smog, he's gonna cause fuel prices to rise AND food prices too?

Wow, this president sure does care about the poor doesn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    You don't typically eat the type of corn you use in ethanol, at least not directly.
    True, field corn is what hogs, cattle and chicken eat. We eat field corn indirectly. On the plus side, the mash leftover after removing the ethanol can be fed to livestock although its nutrient value has been depleted

Sweet corn and field corn, what are the differences?

"Ukraine is a major exporter of both wheat and corn, accounting for 12% and 17% of global supply, respectively. And Russia's wheat exports account for almost 17% of global supply, Insider's Urooba Jamal notes. Since Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24, food prices have started to soar." Ukraine is also the world' largest exporter of sunflower oil.

My advice, dear readers, is to buy a little extra pasta and a couple of extra bottles of vegetable oil: not to hoard but to buy what you will use until next Spring ahead of time. Rice is a good substitute too.

I've read a large number of comments about how white people care more about Ukrainians than Yemenis, Somalians, Eritreans, Sudanese, and other non-Europeans who too have wars. That may be true but when grain gets scarce and prices skyrocket, we first-worlders will just have to dig deeper into our wallets and not buy something else but those poorest of third world countries will starve. It would not be surprising if the number who starve because of this war will outnumber the number of Ukrainians and Russians who die in the war.

Last edited by oladub; April-18-22 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast