Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default West side to Gordie Howe Bridge by bicycle?

My son and I are planning to bike down to take some photos of the progress on the Gordie Howe Bridge and I need a suggestion for a safe route. I知 thinking Hines Drive to Michigan Ave, over to possibly Outer Drive. That ends at Jefferson Ave which gets me close. Not sure the side street situation with the bridge construction. We want to get as close as possible without breaking the law. From there we値l probably head into downtown on the riverwalk.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jmpatrick View Post
    My son and I are planning to bike down to take some photos of the progress on the Gordie Howe Bridge and I need a suggestion for a safe route. I知 thinking Hines Drive to Michigan Ave, over to possibly Outer Drive. That ends at Jefferson Ave which gets me close. Not sure the side street situation with the bridge construction. We want to get as close as possible without breaking the law. From there we値l probably head into downtown on the riverwalk.

Thoughts?
    Get as close as safely possible to the Ford Rouge CSX switching yard. Oakman to Miller maybe. From there run Industrial Street directly south of Vernor/Dix that runs parallel to the tracks then bends east to run along the edge of Woodmere cemetery. There is usually very light traffic. As Industrial crosses Fort St it turns into Dearborn St and pretty much heads east thru Delray. Also light traffic,but you may have to wait for a train or two as the crossings at Delray junction are pretty busy. You have any number of streets to take here, but Jefferson is less than half a mile from the train tracks, and also lightly traveled.

I highly recommend a map, because its gets pretty disorienting down there, [[the tracks at Delray look at the Fisher building), and Dearborn st. is really heading east to the river not south. But the traffic south of the Rouge plant is pretty light on wide enough streets, and once you cross Fort you have options as you venture your way past the Delray tracks.

Thoughts?

Where are you coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Where are you coming from?
    Inkster Rd./Plymouth Rd. area

Using Google My Maps I can see where you can set a route that essentially follows the Rouge River. Doing that, the first part of your trip would be a breeze by dropping down to Hines Park drive, taking that to the end. From there it's more complicated, perhaps get over to Greenfield Road, follow it until becomes Mellon below the Rouge Plant, then Oakwood, then Dearborn to Springwells and the bridge site, which is at the mouth of the Rouge River across from Zug Island. If you're going that far you'll be right next to Fort Wayne, so you might want to schedule a day when it is open.

-> Here's what I drew

You can take Edward Hines all the way to Evergreen, the bike trail connects right into the Rouge Gateway Trail.

Take that all the way to MI Ave, after which you can get on the bike trail on the South side of Michigan Ave.

Take that all the way to Miller Rd, or cut through the neighborhood, but there is a nice separated trail until you hit Downtown E Dearborn.

Turn South on Miller, again there is a separated sidewalk/trail to ride on, although there is not much traffic besides trucks if you want to ride on the street.

Once you hit Fort you're almost there with almost no riding with traffic. Head on down Dearborn St to Jefferson and you'll be about as close as you can get!

Stop at the Carbon Athletic Club too for a drink on the way if you're so inclined.
    Last edited by K-slice; April-12-22 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Using Google My Maps I can see where you can set a route that essentially follows the Rouge River. Doing that, the first part of your trip would be a breeze by dropping down to Hines Park drive, taking that to the end. From there it's more complicated, perhaps get over to Greenfield Road, follow it until becomes Mellon below the Rouge Plant, then Oakwood, then Dearborn to Springwells and the bridge site, which is at the mouth of the Rouge River across from Zug Island. If you're going that far you'll be right next to Fort Wayne, so you might want to schedule a day when it is open.

-> Here's what I drew
    You have him riding on Ford Road trying to navigate cloverleaf ramps and what are basically highway ramps on a bike. Hoo boy, I wouldn't want to do that, even as an experienced urban bicyclist.

Some great suggestions. Thanks to all. The Carbon Athletic Club may be a good lunch stop and maybe a base ball game at Fort Wayne.

Inkster Rd./Plymouth Rd. area

I would take Hines to Outer Dr.,
    Outer Dr. to Fort St.,
    Take Fort St. East to Clark,
    Right on Clark to Jefferson,
    Right on Jefferson, and you'll see the Bridge construction on your left, just past Fort Wayne.

My reasoning is Outer Dr., Fort St., and Clark are more bike friendly [pavement and traffic wise] routes than some of the aforementioned routes. Also, Carbon A/C is a members only establishment. Depending on the day of the week, the time of the day, and the mood of whoever is tending bar, they may or may not let you in, or have food available. There are some eateries around Clark and Fort St. Bring bike locks.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-12-22 at 05:21 PM.

Thoughts?
    Don't.

Hah! I plan to fire-up [peddle] one of those red HAP/ MOGO rental-bikes and peddle about WSU Matthaei field three times this Friday to bring in the spring.
    Does that count on any level? ---------
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-13-22 at 06:49 PM.

Night quite relevant to this route but, which digging about I found this interesting map by Detroit Greenways showing the growing number of bike lane streets and MoGo pickup/dropoff points.

https://detroitgreenways.org/MapByProjectTag.php

Screen snap.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.16.04 AM.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  138.2 KB

Yep. I rent/ ride these... not for transpo. But for exercise in certain areas, at certain times. Thanks for the updated map!

BTW: MOGO offers [or at least did per a rider I peddled with last summer] a discount if you receive food stamps or other government assistance. Only five dollars a month for 60 minute rides, per day. You only need an active Bridge Card [food stamp card] number.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-13-22 at 06:48 PM.

I would second Meddle's suggestion. First
    take an enjoyable bike ride on Hines Drive
    or another dedicated bicycling trail maintained
    and used by many bicyclists. Stay on this
    trail. Go home, wash up, change into street
    clothes.

Then, get in someone's SUV or pickup to visit the
    Fort Wayne/Gordie Howe bridge area. It is certainly
    worth the visit. It will be an awesome bridge once
    it's done. Post pics!

There are numerous construction and other road
    hazards throughout the area. While you are there,
    drive the speed limit or less, keeping an eye out for
    potholes and debris. There are numerous detours
    posted to the point where it is like a maze at times.
    Check on your tires once you arrive back home.
    Remember to take the car to the car wash
    afterwards, not beforehand.

I work at the WRRF. A former coworker who is now
    retired used to commute ON A BICYCLE from approximately
    the Brightmoor area to the WRRF for health reasons
    and to keep the spare tire in check.

He would mostly roughly follow Outer Drive to Jefferson
    to the plant, as Honky Tonk suggested, or else it
    was Ann Arbor Trail to Paul to maybe Schaefer then
    down to Mellon and what Lowell has from there.
    He would take residential side streets where
    possible.

A dedicated bike trail extending from Ann Arbor
    Trail in Dearborn Heights down to River Rouge
    and maybe along or near the Detroit River would
    likely be used and appreciated but it's not there
    yet.
    Last edited by Dumpling; April-15-22 at 09:41 AM.

Please be aware Hines Dr is closed at Ford Rd as is the Rouge Gateway Trail for construction. HT's suggestion of Hines to Outer Dr is best.

This bike ride is happening this week. Is the Hines construction finished?

We're going to try to get to the Delray public boat launch. View should be good from there.
    Last edited by jmpatrick; May-30-23 at 07:15 AM.

This bike ride is happening this week. Is the Hines construction finished?

We're going to try to get to the Delray public boat launch. View should be good from there.

The view is fantastic from there. A couple of things. Be aware there's a lot of construction going on around the boat launch area. Last time I was there, Jefferson was one lane and coned, and you had to take turns with directional traffic. The sign is gone for the boat launch, so look for the entrance. The boat launch parking lot, [which you'll have to cross], is pretty bombed out. The trip is doable, though. Highly recommend taking Fort St. to Clark, and making a right on Jefferson.

Thanks

So this finally happened. We took Hines Drive to Michigan Ave., S on Monroe to Outer Drive, Outer Drive to Fort Street, Fort Street to Dearborn, Dearborn to Jefferson, Jefferson to the Delray Public Boat Launch. The park was fairly busy with boaters and folks fishing. There where Detroit Police patrolling the area. From there we checked out progress on the train station on our way to lunch at Slow’s. From there it was down Michigan Ave. back to Hines. A great day of biking in a great city. Those that suggested we skip the biking need to get out more. There were plenty of others out yesterday and at no point did I feel threatened or unsafe. The view of the bridge is amazing from Delray. Thanks for the suggestions.

Name:  IMG_1052.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  42.5 KB

So this finally happened. We took Hines Drive to Michigan Ave., S on Monroe to Outer Drive, Outer Drive to Fort Street, Fort Street to Dearborn, Dearborn to Jefferson, Jefferson to the Delray Public Boat Launch. The park was fairly busy with boaters and folks fishing. There where Detroit Police patrolling the area. From there we checked out progress on the train station on our way to lunch at Slow痴. From there it was down Michigan Ave. back to Hines. A great day of biking in a great city. Those that suggested we skip the biking need to get out more. There were plenty of others out yesterday and at no point did I feel threatened or unsafe. The view of the bridge is amazing from Delray. Thanks for the suggestions.

Name:  IMG_1052.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  42.5 KB

Good deal and congratulations! What was the total mileage you did?

47.83 miles. I burned 3100 calories according to Runmeter, so I celebrated with ice cream.

You probably won't get that close to the bridge anyway as construction has quite a wide footprint including the connection to I-75. The best way to watch the continual build of the bridge is to go on bridge website and/or sign up for notifications. You'll see updated drone images from all kinds of angles including flying over what's been built. www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by 467riverfix View Post
    You probably won't get that close to the bridge anyway as construction has quite a wide footprint including the connection to I-75.
    You can get pretty close...

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  118.8 KB

Great to see that you made the ride! I've considered doing it many times as I have family in Livonia that live very close to Hines.

Out of curiosity, what would you say the worst part of the route was in term of traffic, road conditions, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Out of curiosity, what would you say the worst part of the route was in term of traffic, road conditions, etc?
    Traffic was light Saturday Morning. Dearborn St. is rough, especially crossing the train tracks. Jefferson is a bit of a mess around the bridge site and as I was warned above, the Delray Public Boat Launch road and parking lot are pretty bad.