Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Former Punchbowl

Horace Sheffield had announced on his show that the former Punchbowl Social will become a comedy club spearheaded by him a others.

^ Eh, that sounds like a scary idea -- ala slappin' and what not.

They've been tried before here [comedy clubs]. Some more successful than others but I feel overall that in today's climate jokes can get out of hand. Or you have the touch-feely style woke comedy so overt in world-views that are not very funny. Well... maybe another Coney Island is a better deal. We don't have as many of them as we once did!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Eh, that sounds like a scary idea -- ala slappin' and what not.

They've been tried before here [comedy clubs]. Some more successful than others but I feel overall that in today's climate jokes can get out of hand. Or you have the touch-feely style woke comedy so overt in world-views that are not very funny. Well... maybe another Coney Island is a better deal. We don't have as many of them as we once did!
    Or just bring back Punchbowl Social or another sports bar. I wonder if Sheffield used his daughter, the Council President, to get a deal on that spot

Interesting! That's a pretty big space, I'm curious to see how much they renovate it. I've been to a few shows at Mark Ridley's in Royal Oak this year; worrying about "woke" comedy or whatever is something taking place on the internet and not in real life, based on the packed shows I've been to.

The Boll Theatre inside the YMCA that held plays and small concerts. I will still support that theater before anything at the former Punchbowl

I cant believe that place wasn't profitable as is. Weekends, weekdays, it was always busy, if not packed. Certainly a favorite for many downtown office workers, which I know went home for covid, but it's not like every place that depended on them closed.

Thing is, the space was king of specifically built out for the activities they offered. Lots of nooks and crannies in there which I assume is because there needs to be support for the 9 levels of parking garage on top of it.

Someone with moderately deep pockets, and a good knowledge of the restaurant industry could have this place re-opened in a month with ease.

Planning a trip to Cleveland next month to see the Tigers and I noticed Punchbowl and several other chain restaurants are still open downtown.

It’s a Bedrock owned property. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn the lease was heavily discounted the first couple of years to entice the initial business opening. Unfortunately full market rate probably kicked in right at the start of the pandemic, and all of a sudden the numbers no longer work out.

Gilberttown Detroit business gone after COVID-19:

1. Roast
    2. Under Armour
    3. Detroit is the New Black
    4. Madewell
    5. Punch Bowl Social

Now more Gilberttown Detroit business bite the dust? It's time to press the reset button.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

1. Roast
    2. Under Armour
    4. Madewell
    5. Punch Bowl Social

Now more Gilberttown Detroit business bite the dust? It's time to press the reset button.
    1- Roast/Book Cadillac isn’t a Bedrock property. Best guess there is that when Ferchill [[Book Cadillac previous owner) lost control of the property, Symon [[Ferchill’s friend) decided it was time to end it.

2,3,4,&5 - All likely had a reduced rent rate from Bedrock during the first few years, and when time expired and full rent was due, there wasn’t enough sales to offset costs. No different than the people who jump on a highly discounted cable/satellite TV plan for year one, and then drop the service once year two rates kick-in.
    Detroit is the New Black, I believe they had a time limited incubator rate [[ie virtually zero rent), and when that incubation ran out, they were forced to pay rent to remain. They all might be great stores, but if sales don’t generate enough $ to pay the bills, you can’t fault the landlord for pursuing someone else to occupy the space who will pay to be there.

I’m also surprised that the Social didn’t attempt a return. Pre that place was packed. In fact we had given up even attempting to get a table there because of the wait times.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

1. Roast
    2. Under Armour
    4. Madewell
    5. Punch Bowl Social

These can be added to the list as well:
    6. Dose [[technically opened during the pandemic is now empty)
    7. Krispy Addict [[technically opened during the pandemic is now empty)
    8. Apparallel [[something like that) on Broadway/Gratiot which became some holiday pop-up shop and now is empty
    9. John Varvatos
    10. FedEx Office [[next to Calexico Detroit) is now some pop-up I think
    11. Slices Pizza on Woodward is suppose to be replaced by Halal Guys

Since Punch Bowl Social is gone, don’t think there is any other bowling alleys in Downtown anymore is there?

I know that the Roast is not part of Dan Gilbert's properties.

I enjoyed the bowl when I was there. Too bad it did't work!

Can the market rate be lowered for downtown Detroit. The taxes charged maybe too high for an area that's not there yet

Punchbowl only was closed for 4 months before it had decided that it was going to close permanently. Other shops survived the pandemic but for some reason Punchbowl decided that it could not survive the temporary shutdown and decided to shut up shop. The spot became a tailgate party spot and now Sheffield and others want to open a Comedy Club there

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Can the market rate be lowered for downtown Detroit. The taxes charged maybe too high for an area that's not there yet
    Gilbert owns almost all of these properties and they have commercial businesses or apts. above them. He's the one paying the taxes. I doubt he's overcharging on retail rents. If anything, he's charging as little as possible to gain critical mass. He was accepting 10% of sales during the pandemic for those who wanted to sign on to that deal. Not sure if that has expired.

For some reason, I feel, the name Horace Sheffield and the word comedy go together like orange juice and toothpaste.

Help me out here folks, is Horace a naturally funny guy? Does he have the touch to hire funny people, or at least the wisdom to know who to hire?

Will the Church Lady crowd pin his rather tiny ears back for bringing in edgy acts?

Those church ladies don’t play. And they run in packs.

^ LOL! Good points G. It's a risky venture, especially these days of woke constraints/ content applied to what once comprised comedy. Look at the un-funny obligatorily progressive 'comedy' presented on SNL.

Anyway, comedy clubs venues have never been my scene for a night out on the town. You never know what's coming at you [sometimes literally]! At least when watching on TV you can turn it completely off as needed.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-14-22 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    For some reason, I feel, the name Horace Sheffield and the word comedy go together like orange juice and toothpaste.

Help me out here folks, is Horace a naturally funny guy? Does he have the touch to hire funny people, or at least the wisdom to know who to hire?

Will the Church Lady crowd pin his rather tiny ears back for bringing in edgy acts?

Those church ladies don’t play. And they run in packs.
    What concern me is that his daughter is President of City Council. Did she use some type of connections so that her father could lease that spot for a comedy venue? Punchbowl was successful in that spot until Covid shutdowns happened. It became a spot for tailgating parties during the pandemic. Now Sheffield want to turn this spot into a comedy club. What other downtown spots Sheffield has his eyes on?

^ Hah! This certainly would not be a first for families leveraging power for themselves thru connections and politics! Federally and local.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Punchbowl was successful in that spot until Covid shutdowns happened. It became a spot for tailgating parties during the pandemic.
    I don't know about that. Since Punchbowl Social first opened almost all of its reviews and word-of-mouth details were negative due to excessive racism towards customers and employees from its management. In a city like Detroit, I knew that it wouldn't last long at that location no matter how much fun you could have there.
    Last edited by Sehv313; April-16-22 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    I don't know about that. Since Punchbowl Social first opened almost all of its reviews and word-of-mouth details were negative due to excessive racism towards customers and employees from its management. In a city like Detroit, I knew that it wouldn't last long at that location no matter how much fun you could have there.
    13 Google reviews out of 3,285, and 6 reviews out of the 931 on Yelp mention race or racist in them. I think you may be making that up...

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    13 Google reviews out of 3,285, and 6 reviews out of the 931 on Yelp mention race or racist in them. I think you may be making that up...
    Sometimes when people could not get their ways they cry racism.