Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Lands 2024 NFL Draft

Pretty big deal, think it typically draws 100k+ and watched on TV by a ton of folks.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...wn/7194117001/

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Pretty big deal, think it typically draws 100k+ and watched on TV by a ton of folks.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...wn/7194117001/

Will Detroit have a team that new recruits want to go to by then?

You never think of a draft as a big event that fills downtown hotels but the NFL one does.

You have to give the NFL a credit - they turned the draft into a spectacle. This is not a small deal at all.

This is gonna be great, Hudsons and Michigan Central will be finished by then so people will be very impressed with the city.

Yay!

It's like having the Super Bowl again.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Yay!

It's like having the Super Bowl again.
    Detroit may never be in the Super Bowl but it's always near the top of the draft!

Great news. Now when we get to host another SB, that's the icing on the cake.

I'm all for a little spectacle and over-hyped events, especially if it will bring some $$$ to the city. I think having it setup in Hart Plaza would be a better view for the cameras, but who knows when that will be redeveloped?

Channel 4 did a story on it today, and they seemed to imply that the stage would be at the foot of Woodward, and fans would watch from Woodward all the way to Campus Martius. Not sure I understand how that's going to work, but I'm sure a rendering will come out soon.

Good deal. Land as many of these events as possible bringing the money home. The B10 irritates the hell out of me insisting that all their championships are in Indianapolis like the rest of the University’s don’t pour gobs of money in the conference including our tax dollars. Share the wealth. Spread the money around and quit being so corrupt by staying in Indy every year. Ford field would be perfect for a B10 Championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Good deal. Land as many of these events as possible bringing the money home. The B10 irritates the hell out of me insisting that all their championships are in Indianapolis like the rest of the University’s don’t pour gobs of money in the conference including our tax dollars. Share the wealth. Spread the money around and quit being so corrupt by staying in Indy every year. Ford field would be perfect for a B10 Championship game.
    Finding a hotel in Indy this year was very hard. I know Michigan fans travel well and that wouldn't be as much of an issue if them or MSU made it to a game hosted in Detroit since a lot of fans are local, but I think the city would need a lot more rooms to host the B10 championship. Indianapolis has invested a lot to be an event/conference destination, and if people struggled to find a room there this year, I can't imagine how Detroit would fare.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Finding a hotel in Indy this year was very hard. I know Michigan fans travel well and that wouldn't be as much of an issue if them or MSU made it to a game hosted in Detroit since a lot of fans are local, but I think the city would need a lot more rooms to host the B10 championship. Indianapolis has invested a lot to be an event/conference destination, and if people struggled to find a room there this year, I can't imagine how Detroit would fare.
    There are more hotel rooms in the Detroit metro than Indy metro by about 15,000 according to a quick google search. Is the Indy convention set up nicer than Detroit’s? Obviously, yes. That fact doesn’t convince me that Indy should have that game every single year, especially considering that Universities constantly talk about inclusion, fairness and equality then continue to steer all the money from the champ game into the same pockets annually. Next up is the multitude of accusations on why a playoff format in NCAA football can’t displace the bowl system because of the corrupt financial trail awarding salaries and perks from tickets, hotel suites, dining and limos to every power broker and their brother in NCAA football and a clearer picture starts to come into focus. If Detroit could handle a Super Bowl, we surely could handle a B10 champ game every few years.

I remain convinced if the B10 was actually concerned about transparency and inclusion they would welcome moving the high dollar events around the geographic area of the conference. When they constantly decide to go to Indy it reeks of where the decision makers feel the most comfortable getting the perks they are accustomed to getting. It’s far easier to shake down those who have already been paying up consistently and any thought of sharing the economic benefits of the big events across multiple diverse communities be damned.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; March-30-22 at 08:01 PM.

According to this conference planning site, Indy has 19K hotel rooms and Detroit has 6K. Perhaps if you include the Metro area's sprawling suburbs, Detroit might close the gap, but the prospect of staying in Novi isn't exactly a great proposition for people coming in for events like conferences and sporting events.

I didn't even consider paying to stay out in the suburbs of Indy, because the prospect of getting an uber at 2 a.m. after the festivities sounded terrible. I had to pull some strings and pay an arm and a leg just to get downtown, which is really what people want for these things

Still, the Big Ten only renewed in Indy for 2022 and has mentioned rotating to different locations, so still we might see the game move to Detroit or Minneapolis. I hope so.

By 2024, Goff will be gone, Campbell also. . . ...having the 1st-pick@home could be exciting, then again, probably not. Shalom, my brothers.