Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Historic Main Art Theater may be demolished soon!

I remember the times when each town has its own beautiful movie palaces. Where families enjoy the movies, plays and concerts venues. Now those palaces are slowly disappearing into memory.

Royal Oak's Historic Main Art Theatre may hit the wrecking ball and bulldozers. While Emagine Theatre next door enjoy its glory days. Only to be transform into super condos and high-end retail where Millennials will enjoy.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...movie-theatre/

Kudos to the group trying to save it,the argument is always they have outlived their usefulness but have they really?

The theater was saved by me,you can go see old time B/W movies,independent plays and even the occasional comedy act or live music.

1 block away is a 10 screen movie theater that was built in the 90s and was shuttered long before COVID.

Old verses new theaters serve two different needs within the community,it is understandable how cities are revisiting the mistakes of the past as they eliminated the residential aspect in the historical downtowns,but like was posted in the article,they still have to remember what actually draws residents to live downtown.

What a shame...

A friend posted this on Facebook yesterday:

Metro-Detroit Michigan Film Fans
    Please consider attending the "Save The Main Theater Rally" scheduled for Saturday, April 9th at 2:00pm in front of the theater and voice support for the preservation of this special space and the continuation of its vital cinematic programing.

Furthermore, concerned members of the public are encouraged to attend the April 12th, Royal Oak Planning Commission Meeting at 7:00pm to be held in the Commission Chambers [[203 S. Troy St., Room 121).

Today's [March 24] official press release from Jason Krzysiak - Friends of The Main Art Theater....

....have been informed by North Main Square LLC, the owners of The Main Art Theater in Royal Oak Michigan [[118 N. Main St.), that the company is moving ahead with plans to tear down the beloved theater and will not accommodate an effort from the recently established 501[[c)3 non-profit to resume screening art, indie and foreign films at the historic building. Discussions between the two parties have raised the possibility of including a smaller micro-cinema in the new development but no guarantees have been made at this time.

Formed in June 2021 from thousands of concerned film lovers, Friends of The Main Art have rallied broad support from across the state to save this culturally significant piece of Metro Detroit. Opened in 1941 and host to first ladies and movie stars, Royal Oak’s Main Art Theater has been a shining light of independent cinema for over 80 years. Friends of The Main Art was formed to keep that light shining well into the 21st Century and pledge to continue their preservation efforts despite the landlord’s intent to demolish the cherished venue.

The group calls on members of the community to attend the upcoming Save The Main Rally scheduled for Saturday, April 9th at 2:00pm in front of the theater and voice their support for the preservation of this special space and the continuation of its vital cinematic programing.

Furthermore, concerned members of the public are encouraged to attend the April 12th, Royal Oak Planning Commission Meeting at 7:00pm to be held in the Commission Chambers [[203 S. Troy St., Room 121). North Main Square LLC’s proposed demolition and reconfiguration will go before the board and this is a crucial opportunity for the public to weigh in on the proposal.

“We as a community have an opportunity to preserve this important cultural landmark and we can’t let it pass without doing everything we can to ensure that these films light up the screen at the Main Art once again.” said Friends of the Main Art President Jason Krzysiak.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1489554191390270
    https://www.instagram.com/friendsofmainart/

Thank you for your interest in this important matter.

https://friendsofmainart.com/

As Royal Oak residents, we enjoyed seeing movies at the Main for some 4 decades! We already lost the Washington and the Royal Oak theatres for movies. It would be sad to lose the Main too!!

And we certainly don't need yet another 5-story mixed retail and residential building at Main and 11 Mile. Main Street is already a canyon! Let's let some light continue to shine down at street level!!

A creative but potentially expensive solution to save the Main Art while allowing for a development is to box in the theater and surrounding parking spaces and build a tower above it.

Corporate greed at its finest.

Save the building. We don't need more cookie-cutter buildings.

That downtown theater up in Traverse City seems to be doing okay. I think it's run by a group of volunteers; they have the film thing or movie fest in the Summer, it's pretty busy at that time. There's been a couple times we were there, and it was pretty empty. It's pretty cool sitting up in the balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Huh?
    Richard said:

The theater was saved by me
    He was probably saying: the old-time theater near to where he lives, was saved. 'by me' meaning 'close proximity'. He could have phrased it more clearly.

I dug up the planning documents:

https://www.romi.gov/DocumentCenter/...-PUD-Amendmnet

I'm normally opposed to NIMBYism, and am generally supportive of the direction Royal Oak is headed, but this development is very poorly conceived and will result in the destruction of a historic cinema for no other reason other than an incompetent planning department which utterly lacks foresight and creativity. Are they just too timid to send developers back to the drawing board? The cultural benefit to the public in having an independent movie theater is significant, and should be able to co-exist with new development. But Royal Oak seems to think it's one or the other.

With a more competent planning department, and perhaps a better architect, a new development could be built on this site, while preserving the existing theater for generations to come.
    Last edited by casscorridor; April-11-22 at 08:26 AM.

About 200 people came out Saturday afternoon in support of saving the Main Theatre in Royal Oak...
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...on/9500285002/

The issue goes before the RO Planning Commission tomorrow evening, Tuesday, April 12. Check out the Friends of the Main Art Theatre page on Facebook to learn how you can help!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1489554191390270

I'm all for historic preservation, however, I'm not seeing a convincing argument for saving this particular theater.

1. It's been remuddled and "updated" to the point that, except for a few parts of the lobby and the sign, it looks like any other 80's updated movie theater. Any character the theater had architecturally was erased 40 years ago.

2. I'm not sure what you would do with the building if it were saved. Movie theaters are dying. The general consensus is that the market for new movies in theaters is going to be reduced, and there are already successful theaters that cater to the art-house and rerun markets [[DFT, Maple, Redford.) I guess you could do some sort of concert hall, but there is already one in Royal Oak that only hosts a handful of concerts a year.

I'd imagine that the property taxes alone for the theater are substantial. I'm not sure how you would make a go of it if you wanted to do another movie theater there.

501c non profit,no taxes,while some will not go to a movie theater,they do go to see independent plays put in by local theater groups.

The one by me was restored,community fundraiser restored the lobby back to original and between local theater groups performing,little intimate concerts,and constantly showing cult classics that sell out.

Slowly restore it over a period of time as funds become available.

Lots of Theaters like this have been put back into service so it’s not like they are reinventing the wheel.

A little better argument for keeping it as a community center of sorts?

I agree with you, JBMcB. If there was demand for a theater that only shows independent films, would we even be in this situation? Wouldn't Emagine step in somehow, with they way they are expanding? 200 people might seem impressive in a rally, but where was this support when the theater was open?

And Royal Oak DOES need more apartment buildings; have we seen housing costs in the area lately? This is a prime location downtown; if there ever was a place for a mixed use development, 11 and Main is it. This isn't even a typical "they're ruining the neighborhood!" NIMBY case, this is the middle of a downtown! Now, I think the design looks pretty ugly, but I'm not sure the theater is an architectural masterpiece either, unless you like windowless beige walls.

Really, downtown Royal Oak needs more apartment buildings?? Maybe more residential development around the downtown but not right at 11 and Main! I haven't tried to find the numbers but they've been developing Main Street north of 11 Mile. It's like a canyon of skyscrapers! I'd rather see more residential development on the perimeter of downtown rather than on Main Street. Still within walking distance.

With all the apartment buildings and parking garages, I'm not seeing a true civic vision of what the downtown and city can be. I miss the old artsy establishments. Need a whole lot more diverse shopping and entertainment options to attract people of all ages to spend an afternoon or an evening here.

BTW...the Royal Oak Music Theatre hosts more than a handful of concerts each year! 8 scheduled through April 30. 11 on tap for May.

It's being replaced by a proposed mixed use building - ground floor restaurant/retail space as well as office space.

And yes, I stand by my statement that we need more residential. NIMBYism won't add housing or help reduce demand.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    It's being replaced by a proposed mixed use building - ground floor restaurant/retail space as well as office space.

And yes, I stand by my statement that we need more residential. NIMBYism won't add housing or help reduce demand.
    But it shouldn't be placed on the erasure of our cultural institutions to provide residential space and it shouldn't be on the back of one corner in Royal Oak. There are plenty of other corners in the city and metro area that can be used to provide residential/mixed use space. As well, as someone pointed out, there is a middle way. We can have development and we can keep the theatre. We are so unimaginative in this region, it's pathetic.

Also, DFT and Redford simply do not provide the same consistent number of showings as Main Art did. DFT is great for sure, but those movies are in and out in a weekend. Redford seems to only open for special screenings. And Maple is pretty evenly split, maybe 75/25 between mainstream and artsy flicks. It is no longer solely an art theatre. Main Art was the last bastion of both consistent movies and special screenings that was unparalleled in the metro region. It would not be closed had COVID not happened. We are only here because of COVID. But frankly, that's no excuse to get rid of culture. It may not appear to be "historical", but it does offer this region culture, something we cannot afford to lose, especially to bland, uninspiring suburban housing projects.

Corporations are ruining everything we cherish.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Corporations are ruining everything we cherish.
    You haven't had your recommended daily allowance of Brawndo, have you?

The Main Art Theater will become the Main Art Building. Royal Oak City Council has approved the owner's demolition of the historic movie palace to be turn into five story apts., lofts and high-end retail. At least the owner will keep the sign and facade.

Adieu, Main Art Theater, thanks for 41 years of memories.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    But it shouldn't be placed on the erasure of our cultural institutions to provide residential space and it shouldn't be on the back of one corner in Royal Oak. There are plenty of other corners in the city and metro area that can be used to provide residential/mixed use space.
    An institution isn't a building. If there is such a demand for movies the Main Art played, the Redford or DFT could easily pick up the slack, and would shore up their funding base.

On the other hand, there is *huge* demand for housing. Housing everywhere. Especially in downtown Royal Oak. Royal Oak is building high density housing wherever it can find a place for it.

As well, as someone pointed out, there is a middle way. We can have development and we can keep the theatre. We are so unimaginative in this region, it's pathetic.
    That's easy to say when it isn't your money being spent. Imagine going to the bank and asking for a $80 million building loan to preserve a movie theater [[that's in the parking lot of another movie theater.) They are going to ask you how much that theater is going to make to pay back that loan. In the current climate, you answer isn't going to be a positive one.

Also, DFT and Redford simply do not provide the same consistent number of showings as Main Art did.
    As I said, if there is such a huge demand for these movies, someone else will pick up the slack. Especially in today's dying movie theater climate.

But frankly, that's no excuse to get rid of culture. It may not appear to be "historical", but it does offer this region culture, something we cannot afford to lose, especially to bland, uninspiring suburban housing projects.
    If there is such a demand for culture, it will be picked up somewhere else. It just takes work. If nobody is willing to do the work, I'd hazard a guess that it isn't that important.
    Last edited by JBMcB; April-13-22 at 12:22 PM. Reason: clarified sentence

There's still Cinema Detroit - horrible seating - but good choice of movies and they play longer than a weekend. I will miss the Main Art Theater just as I miss all the old neighborhood theaters.

The viability of the movie theater is irrelevant to this debate. The owner of the building wants it demolished, plain and simple. The owner has planned the demolition for nearly two decades, as per the planning documents.

The real problem is that the RO city planning department lacks the backbone and foresight to demand an alternative proposal which allows for the site to be redeveloped with new residential and retail while preserving the existing theater. It's obvious this is possible, as the new development instead preserves *all* of the existing surface parking which could easily be built upon.

Unfortunately, RO doesn't seem to see a problem with a Main Street only consisting of places to shop and eat [[and obnoxiously large parking garages) but devoid of culture.

So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Unfortunately, RO doesn't seem to see a problem with a Main Street only consisting of places to shop and eat [[and obnoxiously large parking garages) but devoid of culture.
    Most of the big developments on Main over the past 10 years have been apartments, which are badly needed based on skyrocketing housing demand in the area, going back well before the pandemic. Not sure I see the problem with the focus of a downtown area being retail and dining, along with the apartments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast