Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Approximate yearly cost of utilities for a 1250 sq. ft.brick bungalo.

I missed out on a few offers over the past year. Looking again, but outpriced in several neighborhoods, I'm curious what might my utilities be for a year? Water, heat, electric with and without air and sewer.
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    In CA there are 20% utility discounts for low to moderate income seniors.
    Anything like that in Detroit?

I know DTE has a Senior Winter Protection Program that prevents gas shut off's during the winter but idk about 20% off or that the Water Dept. & Sewerage is doing if that helps.

Is the property that you are looking at not on city sewer ?

I think the property taxes would far outweigh the utilities costs when it comes to decision making.

Heating costs are going to have so many different variables where no 2 houses are going to be the same.

Years back I found a quaint little 6000 sqft fixer upper in EEV for $60,000 but the property taxes were $14,000 per year.
    Last edited by Richard; March-23-22 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

I think the property taxes would far outweigh the utilities costs when it comes to decision making.

Heating costs are going to have so many different variables where no 2 houses are going to be the same.

Years back I found a quaint little 6000 sqft fixer upper in EEV for $60,000 but the property taxes were $14,000 per year.
    It depends on where you live in the city, I spend way more in heating and cooling costs in one year than in two years worth of property taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Property taxes in Detroit are high but not that high. Properly assessed, even at the non-homestead rate, the taxes on a $60k property in Detroit should not exceed $3k.