Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Car rentals

Default Car rentals

I imagine prices are pretty much the same in Metro Detroit as they are here in Las Vegas, but due to an oil leak, had to take my 2018 Ford Escape to the dealer for a fix. Checked with rental cars at Enterprise and found a four day rental would cost me close to $700. Hey, I'll just sit my butt at home for the weekend and thanks to a neighbor go get my car on Tuesday at the Ford Dealer, Slow and Slower Ford.

Where I am at enterprise has a eco box at $69 per day,when I take my truck to the Ferd dealer if it is going to be for more then one day,they give me a loaner,last time it was a Chevrolet truck,I just figured their Fords were also broke down.

If you have full coverage,your insurance does not cover a car rental for repairs?

^ I needed a rental for a short trip in October. I always ask for a mid-size [not into super-tiny low to the ground cars] and found Budget/ Avis rates great [three days under $240]. I'm often am offered a no-extra charge upgrade. The last time as well - to some fancy Kia sporty sedan.

Who knows how prices are now! Like flying weekend rates are higher.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-18-22 at 07:25 PM.

Some auto insurers have plans with different rental companies. We have used Hertz which was discounted thru AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

If you have full coverage,your insurance does not cover a car rental for repairs?
    Dunno, but the weekend is here. I'll check on Monday for future situations.
    Fortunately, my 63 year old son lives with us and has a great Ford 150 so he can haul us around for a while in exchange for his his dirty diapers 63 years back.

^ Ah yes, one of the beauties and benefits of having children - especially when they are in town!
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-18-22 at 07:26 PM.

Rental vehicle charges are 2 to 3 times what they were before the chip shortage. The rental vehicle companies say they have a shortage of cars, yet when you go to pick up your car their lots are full of cars. I would say they're making a lot more revenue now because of this "chip shortage"

Last year, late summer when used cars were bringing a premium,the rental car companies were pushing through 1000s of cars through the wholesale auction,in Florida anyways,so was the shortage by design?

Normally they run in January,but when they were getting more then what they paid for them the year before,opportunity may have arisen.

The manufacturers are saying they are going to go ahead and start delivering vehicle sans the “ critical” chips and you can come back and have them installed later,but you have to do without “critical” items,like heated seats and steering wheels.

These days one is better off driving about in a 1965 Chevrolet,nothing critical about them,if they break,go on YouTube and fix it yourself,do not have to depend on anybody.

Years ago in touristy Orlando there used to be a car rental place called Rent-A-Wreck,older cars with high mileage,but for $10 per day it was cheaper to rent one then own one.
    Last edited by Richard; March-19-22 at 10:29 AM.