Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default LeLee’s Famous Recipe Chicken to open 12 new locations in Metro Detroit

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cli...outputType=amp

"DETROIT – Lee’s Famous Recipe Chicken is planning to expand its food footprint in Metro Detroit in the coming years.

The chicken restaurant, founded in Ohio back in 1966, announced last week that it recently entered into the “largest market development agreement in the history of the brand,” which includes an expansion of 12 new restaurants in the Detroit area over the next seven years, according to a release posted to QSR Magazine.

“Lee’s is growing and we’re excited to expand our presence in the state of Michigan for Lee’s fans to experience our fresh never frozen products. The Lee’s location in Plymouth has a legendary following, so we’re looking forward to adding many new locations in Southeast Michigan over the coming years,” says Lee’s CEO Ryan Weaver. “This expansion really demonstrates the strength and momentum of the Lee’s brand right now and the differentiation our product offering brings to the chicken QSR category. Our customers love our product, and we’re excited for Noman and Leo to bring the best fried chicken out there to more residents in these areas.”

Lee’s opened its first Michigan location in Kalamazoo back in 1967, and currently has six locations in the state. Plymouth’s location is the only one in Metro Detroit. Lee’s has locations in several other states."

Lee's is very good. I've had them when I was still in Detroit.

For those who don't know, it has a loose connection with KFC. It was founded by Colonel Sanders' nephew after the Colonel sold KFC. Lee Cummings tinkered with the KFC secret recipe to make it his own, and then proceeded to open his own restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

For those who don't know, it has a loose connection with KFC. It was founded by Colonel Sanders' nephew after the Colonel sold KFC. Lee Cummings tinkered with the KFC secret recipe to make it his own, and then proceeded to open his own restaurant.
    Thanks. I didn't know.

But which do you prefer and why?

But do they throw the live chickens against the wall to tenderize them before soaking them in oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thanks. I didn't know.

But which do you prefer and why?
    Lee's.

KFC's been trash for a long time.

Lee's.

KFC's been trash for a long time.
    Oh! Okay. I'll have to try Lee's then.

I've always liked the KFC original but it can get monotonous. Also the KFC near me has an odd odor. Makes you wonder if the food is safe. They're not all like that of course.

curious. I wonder if they will open any outlets in Detroit proper and how local folks will engage with this franchise. best of luck.

Do they have good sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    curious. I wonder if they will open any outlets in Detroit proper and how local folks will engage with this franchise. best of luck.

Do they have good sides?
    Lee’s Famous Sides | Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken [[leesfamousrecipe.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

Do they have good sides?
    Funny you ask.

The way I came across this news is that I was perusing Dodge Construction to track new projects out for bid here where I live, and I just to happen to run across a RFP for a Lee's in SW Detroit.

So, the short answer to the first part of your question is yes.

I just had KFC [Highland Pk on Woodard].......

Pure trash [including the sullen, anger-laced drive-thru service]. Never again. It's not what it used to be on any level.

I prefer a go for Chick-Fil-A if pressed for fast food fried chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I've always liked the KFC original but it can get monotonous. Also the KFC near me has an odd odor. Makes you wonder if the food is safe. They're not all like that of course.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-20-22 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ...Pure trash [including the sullen, anger-laced drive-thru service]. Never again. It's not what it used to be on any level....
    I've noticed that a tip often goes a long way toward improving attitudes like that.

Of course you shouldn't have to tip and I think most drive-through employees are discouraged from accepting tips. I think they're so accustomed to not being tipped that they're all the more impressed when they see one.

One KFC employee was so grateful that he started giving me unrequested discounts and too much chicken!

^ Umm, she presented with an 'attitude' first sentence thru the microphone before I could get around to the window. Where the treatment only got worse. No tip forthcoming when you come that way with me.

Especially as I'm doubly nice at places preparing my food.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-20-22 at 03:40 PM.

Its been a few years since I had Lee's in Plymouth but it was always good. My understanding is they are somehow related to the KFC family. It was very similar just better quality...The way KFC should be!