Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fisher Body Plant 21 renovation plan announced

Sounds exciting, if they manage to pull it off. A big asterisk with the "could get underway by late next year" phrasing. The rendering shows the natural brick revealed again. Fisher 21 was most notable as the birthplace of all the Cadillac Fleetwood limousine bodies from the mid-'50s until 1984.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ng/9409769002/
    Last edited by Burnsie; March-07-22 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Sounds exciting, if they manage to pull it off. A big asterisk with the "could get underway by late next year" phrasing. The rendering shows the natural brick revealed again. Fisher 21 was most notable as the birthplace of all the Cadillac Fleetwood limousine bodies from the mid-'50s until 1984.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ng/9409769002/
    This is great news, hopefully plans go through. Skeptical after what happened with the Packard Plant.

Great news here. Just sad that they can renovate this bland piece of industrial architecture and yet can't figure out how to do anything with the former AMC Building, an architectural gem...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Great news here. Just sad that they can renovate this bland piece of industrial architecture and yet can't figure out how to do anything with the former AMC Building, an architectural gem...
    I'd imagine that the close-to-Midtown location had a lot to do with the selection. Easier to get investors' money if you're closer to a "happening" location.

Fisher 21 is a good example of the classic multistory reinforced concrete and brick factory whose design first appeared in Detroit [[at Packard). Few have survived in the city in any kind of well-maintained condition, and the renovation of this one for housing would be a notable departure from the afterthought, deteriorating uses of others [[Briggs, Ford Highland Park). Even though it quickly became common, the design was revolutionary originally, contrasting to the old small-windowed, wood-framed brick "mill" structures.

Those 1910s to 1920s multistory plants provided a distinctive "skyline" to Detroit's neighborhoods, and the reuse & preservation of one helps maintain that heritage.
    Last edited by Burnsie; March-07-22 at 07:49 PM.

very cool --if? when?-- it gets actively underway.
    this will be a serious test of credibility for all the principals involved. of Duggan, and the lead developers in particular. I remember when Herb Strather tried buying a bunch of blighted properties at once, and...
    Deadline Detroit | Herb Strather Backs Out Of Plan To Buy 6,365 Detroit Properties

This better work. Look what happen in the Packard and the American Motor Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    This better work. Look what happen in the Packard and the American Motor Plant.
    Compared to the Packard and AMC Fisher 21 has tremendous location and is in an already rising/thriving area that makes me optimistic for its success. From my explorations of it in the past, it will need a lot help in the area of environmental remediation that could be surprise cost. A big advantage it will have is plenty of space for parking. Here is the rendering from Mcintosh Poris.

Name:  Fisher21-redo.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  56.8 KB

I'd think this one should be in better positioning then those other projects mentioned simply due to the proximity to Midtown & Woodward. I'm assuming it also helps that the incinerator is closed lol But the views from that place should be fantastic of the city if it happens.

Though I'm curious about that $134M price tag. It seems low considering who knows what kind of environmental hell scape they will find in the place/in the ground of a former factory dating back 100 years.

Somewhat the same angle as the rendering above from October 2020. Lots of work ahead.

Name:  2022-03-08-Fisher21.jpg
Views: 2272
Size:  106.4 KB

Having Fisher 21 back in the people business would be awesome no doubt.
    I wish all involved Godspeed and success on the project.

I would have more confidence If it was Dan Gilbert in charge of it. What is Jackson's track record as well as Sheffield's?

Looks like Jackson is a very wealthy dealership guy. Hosey has a development track record but nothing at this scale. Lewand is a suburban builder that owns some apartments in New Center.

So IDK looks like this could go either way.

George Jackson was behind the demolition of the LaFayette Building

In 2008 over 200 cubic yards of PCB-contaminated wood block flooring and debris were removed. Much of the asbestos had fallen into that mess. Also removed were 7 drums of PCB ballast, 600 gallons of other hazardous liquid and 12,600 gallons of "non-hazardous" [[but decidedly non-potable!) water from the truck ramp area. Links to comprehensive reports here:
    https://response.epa.gov/site/site_p...x?site_id=4442
    Last edited by Burnsie; March-08-22 at 07:36 PM.

Sheffield's announcement of a Black Contractor was awarded the project was very inmature. I don't care what color the people or contractors are as long as the job is done with quality results.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Sheffield's announcement of a Black Contractor was awarded the project was very inmature. I don't care what color the people or contractors are as long as the job is done with quality results.
    I did not see the way in which she announced it so not sure if you’re commenting on that aspect, but considering the city’s history and demographics it is newsworthy that this is led by Black developers. It’s a positive when Black developers are also represented among major developers in the city. Not sure how that could be viewed negatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuere View Post
    I did not see the way in which she announced it so not sure if you’re commenting on that aspect, but considering the city’s history and demographics it is newsworthy that this is led by Black developers. It’s a positive when Black developers are also represented among major developers in the city. Not sure how that could be viewed negatively.
    Because their race means nothing. But because the majority demographic has one arbitrary aspect doesn’t mean you should promote business solely based on that aspect. It’s racebaity and only hurts race relations.

Very ambitious project, to say the least. I wonder if any of the party's involved have ever tackled anything of this size.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Because their race means nothing. But because the majority demographic has one arbitrary aspect doesn’t mean you should promote business solely based on that aspect. It’s racebaity and only hurts race relations.
    Race does mean something in our country and our city. It is part of our collective story. Your statement is not reflective of our history…or of reality. Again, acknowledging that it’s positive when we all participate in Detroit’s resurgence does not have to be this negative, uncomfortable thing. Since we know that it is very rare to see Black developers at this scale why not promote that to show there is opportunity for all. It helps push against the two Detroits narrative.

Today's episode of Detroit Today featured a pretty in-depth discussion about Fisher 21 – both regarding the leading developers' diligence in laying the groundwork for the project before presenting the plan to the city, and on WHY having a major and symbolic project led by black developers is important to a lot of people watching – if anyone here seriously still needs to be shown why such a thing is important.

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/4316838...phen-henderson

Was looking at Duggan's State of the City 2022 and he says that “Monday, Greg Jackson and Richard Hosey announced a $135 million investment at the Fisher Body Plant - the largest Black real estate investment in Detroit’s history.”

If I'm not mistaken didn't Chris Webber announce a $175 million cannabis facility deveopment back on Sept. 2021?

... but getting back to the original topic, I think a redevelopment of the Fisher Plant is a great idea.

That whole New Center/Milwaukee Junction area is reasonably central and convenient to Woodward Avenue, Grand Boulevard, WSU/DIA and Midtown.

Admittedly it's a bit of a walk to get Downtown, but you've got the Q-Line and it's free now, or so I hear.

I don't know if there is any particular 'showcase' street or roadway that is Detroit's equivalent to the famous Champs Elysees in Paris, but Woodward might be close to the mark, so anywhere bordering on Woodward is in a good location.

Maybe the Packard Plant is doomed due to its sheer distance from the 'resurgence area' of Downtown. There's zero blight Downtown nowadays. The Fisher Plant has better chances and a far better location than the Packard.

Free talk, Saturday, May 7, 2pm!

Architects from McIntosh Poris unveil their plans for renovation of the Fisher Body Plant 21 into the massive new project, Fisher 21 Lofts

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/art-arc...s-321480555997

The preparatory gutting of Fisher 21 has begun in earnest with the bulk appearing completed and all windows gone. I really hope the project prospers. It will be another spectacular example of turning a fabulous and historically famous ruin into blessing for the city--like the Michigan Central.

View from the south

Down the street, the conversion of the Studebaker site is progressing rapidly and getting its new windows. This should be great news for the Piquette Plant Museum's future. For those who may not know, the orange terra cotta brick Piquette Plant, to the right, is where the Model T was designed, birthed, and the first several thousand produced. It was arguably the most significant site for impelling of Detroit's auto capital future.

It provides a glimpse as to how Fisher 21 is projected to appear once the white paint is sandblasted off.

It will also feature ample off-street parking for the residences and the museum.

Lowell, that Piquette plant is so small. It must be at least one half the size of the current plant producing the 2024 Model Ts for the entire planet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast