Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default W. Philadelphia St. Houses

I often surf through Detroit real estate listings; it’s an interesting way to get a sense of what’s going on in the city.

Today, seven listings for renovated houses on W. Philadelphia St. became active. They are all clustered together; in fact three are on adjoining lots and two others are next to each other just a few lots away [[on the 1400-1500 block); another is also on that block and one is on the next, 1600 block.

They listings say that they are part of the “Virginia Park Project.” That venture isn’t familiar to me. Is this part of the long delayed Herman Keifer redevelopment?

The houses were presumably built at the same time by the same builder as they are virtually identical, modest American Four Square homes with only differing façades.

One of the listings:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M35406-31249

I notice that the lisitng says "short sale" which I assume is an error as none of the others say that.

I like the creative use of colors on the exteriors. I will try to post.

From one of the listings I can see that there are renovated homes across the street as well.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; March-06-22 at 08:24 PM.

Recent photo essay in the Free Press:
    https://www.freep.com/picture-gallery/news/local/michigan/detroit/2021/05/15/developer-works-rehab-homes-virginia-park-neighborhood/5090518001/

The new Philadelphia Street listings linked here:
    https://moveinmichigan.com/ListView....e=&LocOption=1

3/8/2020 edit: The Philadelphia Street listings no longer appear on MoveinMichigan.
    Last edited by 48202; March-08-22 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added note.

So this is part of Castellano’s work. I know that giving him control over so much of the area has been controversial. I haven’t heard much about the project lately; I’d be interested to hear perspectives on how it is or isn’t living up to expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    So this is part of Castellano’s work. I know that giving him control over so much of the area has been controversial. I haven’t heard much about the project lately; I’d be interested to hear perspectives on how it is or isn’t living up to expectations.
    The exteriors look nice for the modest homes that they are, but he's asking 200k and there's no kitchen installed? The homes also don't include a garage, driveway or any kind of fenced-in backyards.

Last edited by hybridy; March-07-22 at 04:10 PM.

No kitchen???? Why? You'd make a lot more money on the home just putting in some basic cabinets and appliances.

Did they demolish the back alley garages? Why no garage?

Otherwise, those homes are so pretty. I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Did they demolish the back alley garages? Why no garage?
    Generally on circa 100 year old homes, the old garages just tend to be so decrepit, that they fall apart. I remember in my parents old neighborhood where the houses were built right after WWII, all the garages were already approaching the end of their life.

So apparently this developer doesn't want to install kitchens and garages, thus saving over 50K on development costs.

A couple of the houses have kitchens and the houses are priced higher.

I’m often amazed at the number of even nicer houses that have lost their garages. It seems that re-roofing was done on houses but then so often not on garages and they deteriorated. I know that my grandmother’s 1924 garage is still intact. It was simply re-roofed and repainted every time the house was.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Generally on circa 100 year old homes, the old garages just tend to be so decrepit, that they fall apart. I remember in my parents old neighborhood where the houses were built right after WWII, all the garages were already approaching the end of their life.

So apparently this developer doesn't want to install kitchens and garages, thus saving over 50K on development costs.
    I wonder what else he saved money on. That exterior siding looks nice - hope it wasn't fastened to rotting wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The listing states "Kitchen ready for your financed options", which I read to mean "pick out what you want and we'll add it on to the purchase price.

Newly built homes are often left with bare bones finishings, or without things like kitchens or baths [[at least back when they built homes faster than buyers snapped them up). People are so picky about what they want when it comes to kitchens and baths it's oftentimes LESS appealing to the buyer for them to be finished in a way they don't love.

Same for garages. Especially in an urban area, a buyer may prefer to just park on the street, or may not have a car at all. No reason to invest in a garage that may not be worth it to some potential buyers.

That being said, $200K seems pricy for the area. I hope they get what they want for them though, motivating the company responsible to continue on with the work in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    The exteriors look nice for the modest homes that they are, but he's asking 200k and there's no kitchen installed? The homes also don't include a garage, driveway or any kind of fenced-in backyards.

The market has gone bananas. 15-20 years ago you could get that house for a song. Some of these houses are way overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The market has gone bananas. 15-20 years ago you could get that house for a song. Some of these houses are way overpriced.
    If inflation turns into a recession, and interest rates climb, watch housing prices drop. There might be a lot of people underwater.

I walked W. Philadelphia today for the first time since before the snow and ice this year. White box kitchens and prices aside, this block has really improved visually from the street in the last few years. It has changed from a trying to hang on and stay occupied look to a street that doesn’t have that particular problem anymore. Some pride and fixing up can go a long way.

There's barely room to walk between some of those. No chance at all I'd ever live like that again. I'm really not interested in hearing the neighbor fart or belch.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    There's barely room to walk between some of those. No chance at all I'd ever live like that again. I'm really not interested in hearing the neighbor fart or belch.
    Live like what? You obviously wouldn't hear your neighbors at all since there is not even a shared wall here. Really bad take my guy. Not everybody wants to live on a rural ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Live like what? You obviously wouldn't hear your neighbors at all since there is not even a shared wall here. Really bad take my guy. Not everybody wants to live on a rural ranch.
    Agree. To each his own, different strokes for different folks.

So, they don't have windows that can be opened?

And sound doesn't travel in cities?

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

I've never seen a kitchen like this. Is that cut-out area in the kitchen the spot for the refrigerator or the access way to the basement? If it's the access way to the basement, then the refrigerator would have to go next to the back door. Also, where are the kitchen cabinets?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I've never seen a kitchen like this. Is that cut-out area in the kitchen the spot for the refrigerator or the access way to the basement? If it's the access way to the basement, then the refrigerator would have to go next to the back door. Also, where are the kitchen cabinets?
    The temporary sink is there to get C of O. Buyers will pick out what kitchen finishes they want and the builder will finish it per their choices.

One additional listing has gone live. But at this price point and with the unusual kitchen approach, the deals are not yet being made.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M46276-24558

For any of you Looky-Loos out there, six of these houses are showing that there will be open houses this Sunday [[4/24).

The other two, 1502 and 1436 W. Philadelphia, are listed as pending - so while these houses have not been selling quickly, there has been some interest.