Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Outside Developer is transforming metro Detroit's biggest eyesores

The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit are tumbling. Here's an interesting article about Kansas City area developer NorthPoint by the Free Press' architectural reporter JC Reindl who is transforming five million feet of largely brownfield sites in Detroit. These include the Eastside Cadillac Stamping Plant and the now preservationist-controversial Plymouth Road American Motors site.

Surging demand in southeast Michigan for more light industrial, distribution and bulk warehouse space combined with the availability of brownfield redevelopment incentives and related government subsidies for large and obsolete sites is driving the moves.

In some nostalgic ways it's sad to see these landmarks fall but I am not in the least sentimental about the jobs and environment remediation that will result which will be for the betterment of Detroit.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...6fa17c_13483b1

Name:  cadillac-stanmping-demo.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  49.9 KB

The front Administrative Building with the tower can still be re-developed into office space, a community center, a coffee shop, etc, while the back portion can still have new the industrial space that's so coveted. All it takes is a little ingenuity, VISION, federal and state historic tax credits, and some higher development costs.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The front Administrative Building with the tower can still be re-developed into office space, a community center, a coffee shop, etc, while the back portion can still have new the industrial space that's so coveted. All it takes is a little ingenuity, VISION, federal and state historic tax credits, and some higher development costs.
    I agree completely... the former AMC Administrative Building is arguably one of the top 3 most beautiful architectural buildings on the west side [[along with Marygrove College and MCS).

Too bad the city didn't take Matty Moroun's MCS cheap windows and reinstall them in the AMC building to mothball it for future development. I would rather see the Lee Plaza come down rather than this architectural leviathan.

You know it's pretty pathetic when the city is a worse landlord than Moroun was. They needlessly tore down the Lafayette Building and Motown Building... only because they were empty. Ditto here... mothballing doesn't seem to be in the city's playbook...

^ you are the city

It’s not a private company.
    Last edited by Richard; March-01-22 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ you are the city

It’s not a private company.
    No, I'm the suburb... I have no say whatsoever...