Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit is the New Black will be closing its doors!

Horrible and very pitiful!!! Detroit is the New Black will be closing their Gilbert town Detroit location.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ne/6945294001/

Blame COVID-19 for their demise.

Keep black businesses alive in Detroit.

Too bad. Brick and mortar retail is brutal in the internet age even without a pandemic. Tommey Walker's Detroit vs. Everybody met a similar same fate in 2020 when it close four locations. A slogan will get you just so far.

Detroit is the new Black didn't have true men's sizes. They thought that a woman's large and extra large could apply for men whom measured for those sizes. That was poor business practice

I want to root for and support Detroit indie fashion but it feels like a lot of Detroit pride brands like DTNB have this heavy focus on block color tshirts and sweatshirts with a just handful of logos in rotation. maybe i'm out of step with the aesthetic here, but a shop full of black and white tees/sweats feels kinda conservative stylistically.

I do think other local indie retailers are doing it well, David Vintage and Well Done Goods come to mind for garments with unique/innovative cuts and patterns.

They never came out with anything new, same logo on the same shirts for a decade. When shopping I would go in with the wife and we'd see the same selection year after year, so we stopped going in...

Hopefully something better moves in.

Detroit is the New Black wants to be in the high-end business. But the owners do not have the kick in male and female wear and gimmicks. And it didn't attract ethnic customer based.

I was wondering if they put the location at the Avenue of Fashion area. They could attract the hood crowd thus kept the business going.

T-shirts don't do it for me and when shops don't change their inventory often interest wanes. Then COVID hit and that was probably the death nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroit is the New Black wants to be in the high-end business. But the owners do not have the kick in male and female wear and gimmicks. And it didn't attract ethnic customer based.

I was wondering if they put the location at the Avenue of Fashion area. They could attract the hood crowd thus kept the business going.
    I had driven down the Avenue of Fashion last weekend. Disappointed on how the strip is lined with the same flea market type retail that were there before the major street renovation. The brand new building that sit on the Southwest corner of Livernois and 7 still doesn't have retail in it after 2 years of it's completion. Maybe it's due to a back and forth struggle to keep any substandard stores, such as those that line Livernois, and insert a middle to high end retail in that spot

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had driven down the Avenue of Fashion last weekend. Disappointed on how the strip is lined with the same flea market type retail that were there before the major street renovation. The brand new building that sit on the Southwest corner of Livernois and 7 still doesn't have retail in it after 2 years of it's completion. Maybe it's due to a back and forth struggle to keep any substandard stores, such as those that line Livernois, and insert a middle to high end retail in that spot
    I disagree, many of the flea market like store are gone, only a-couple near 7 mile, and a few south of 7 mile, severel casual and high end restaurants and boutique have opened, and several beautiful sidewalk seating.

There are plans for the building:

Newly formed B&H Consulting restaurant and hospitality group is working on two new projects on the Avenue of Fashion: Pequeño Mexican Cantina and 24 on Livernois.

The latter is a revival of chef Frank Blackman's former restaurant 24Grille, which was inside the Westin Book Cadillac. The multi-faceted space at Seven Mile and Livernois will have a restaurant similar to 24Grille, plus a cigar bar upstairs and an R&B lounge with live music on the lower level. It's expected to open in the spring.
    October 2021 Freep Article announcing 5 new restaurants on the Ave

Livernois 7 mile need a Starbucks on that strip. Enough with the restaurants put some retail on that strip especially a sporting good store and a bike shop. Such as a Bike Blades, and Boards or American Cycle. Bring in the retail that will draw out the money that's is in the surrounding upper-class communities. Go figure

True. The quality and variety or retail has much improved. If it is not what a person likes that does not render them flea markets to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by shawring View Post
    I disagree, many of the flea market like stores are gone, only a-couple near 7 mile, and a few south of 7 mile, several casual and high end restaurants and boutiques have opened, and several beautiful sidewalk seating.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-02-22 at 09:49 AM.

Yep. A larger, national retailer needs to come to anchor things more a bit.

Livernois 7 mile need a Starbucks on that strip. Enough with the restaurants put some retail on that strip especially a sporting good store and a bike shop. Such as a Bike Blades, and Boards or American Cycle. Bring in the retail that will draw out the money that's is in the surrounding upper-class communities. Go figure