Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Condolences to the Ukrainian community

Growing up in Hamtramck, I had many Ukrainian friends who were members of the Ukrainian Church on McDougal.

Putin says that Ukraine isn't a country. And Poles thought likewise when the Zaporozhian Sich became a destination for runaway Commonwealth serfs and for prisoners fleeing the slave market in Crimea.

Little known fact: Christopher Columbus learned seamanship on Genoese slave ships in the Crimean trade route before he became a slaver in the New World...

There are almost 1.5 million Ukrainian Canadians. I'm guessing a lot more refugees will be on the way when this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    There are almost 1.5 million Ukrainian Canadians. I'm guessing a lot more refugees will be on the way when this is over.
    Probably so.

Ukraine will be free once again from the Soviet mindset Russia headed by a dictator named Putin-Stalin!

Take a good look when Ukraine when its free the Soviet slavery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvAwjimRIKU

World War III is just started.

We're not prepared to, or present as a nation ready to take on Russia full on [WW3]. Even less if China steps forward to take Taiwan in the midst of all of this.

Our Keystone pipeline needs to be re-opened. Today. Now! Per not engaging in a war-for-oil we can't win! Oil [who has it] will be a serious factor. We are captive to our own oil crisis [quite self-induced]. Hardly hearty for wars on any level.

Are we ready for the pending fallout Detroit? Captive audience we will be.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-22 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    We're not prepared to, or present as a nation ready to take on Russia full on [WW3]. Even less if China steps forward to take Taiwan in the midst of all of this.
    I agree, but for different reasons. Russia has been snooping out the undersea cables for connecting Europe to North America [[and China has probably done likewise in the Pacific). I worry that they might try to cut the non-satellite communications lines if we were to get involved. Or have their computer hackers disable our power grid.

^ Yep. We can add that to the expanding list[s] of concerns - and the most obvious weaknesses on our end.

Sanctions, smancktions. Weakness is always exploited.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-22 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ...World War III is just started.
    Thanks for the stirring video. But I don't think it's the start of WW III. The U.S. was unable to beat the puny Taliban, it's certainly not going to beat Russia, and our citizens could care less about their own democracy, let alone the Ukrainian republic. Maralago Mussolini did his best to weaken NATO and Zelensky; if re-elected, for a small fee, he'll give Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, and Poland to Putin, and perhaps even East Germany, Romania, Moldavia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; February-24-22 at 06:38 PM.

^ We will be heavily impacted leading up to any world-war. Growing ever weaker on the way! One has to consider what 'trump' card China is holding here.

And no, I don't mean donald. This is far bigger than that distraction.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-22 at 06:47 PM.

Talk of a world war is kind of silly. If it happens it will be over in about 20 minutes, end in a tie, and you don't want to be around for overtime anyway.
    Speaking of sports, I just listened to former Wing Slava Fetisov give a long, impassioned interview on the Fan in Toronto. He stated that long-time Putin supporter Alex Ovechkin could do more to change Russian citizens' opinion of Putin than any single person but he won't speak out against him because of how much money he's made by their relationship.

^ Right-O. Strategic relationships always play a part in such - explicit or implicit.

We're not prepared to, or present as a nation ready to take on Russia...
    Agreed. The USSR collapsed after its Afghan war. Perhaps the U.S. will collapse after its war in the graveyard of empires? Perhaps not, but most likely the PRC will have Taiwan. IMHO they are smarter than us, and rich after the self-Salomation of laissez-faire free trade.

...and the most obvious weaknesses on our end.
    The U.S. is weak between the ears.

...One has to consider what 'trump' card China is holding here.
    ????

I'm in favor of war. We should start by invading Ontario. Whatcha think?

Keep yo' eyes and ears open!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    ????

You have to be very concerned that Putin can just invade a country and overtake it, basically because he feels like doing it. Lately, his rantings have sounded like he is a complete lunatic. I sure as hell don't want any of our guys getting hurt over there. No matter what your feelings are about Ukraine, It's VERY concerning.
    Last edited by softailrider; February-24-22 at 07:15 PM.

Umm, Yep. China also thinks along the line of centuries. Not the last twitter feed, instagram post, CNN or Fox-snews nattering. Even a cursory read of China's history proves this!

Further, there are enough boss-talking intellectuals here who've determined that our collapse is quite just and appropriate per all of our 'unique' and grievous sins. In their elitism and virtue they assume their safety raft will be yet available - when all this happens......

Agreed. The USSR collapsed after its Afghan war. Perhaps the U.S. will collapse after its war in the graveyard of empires? Perhaps not, but most likely the PRC will have Taiwan. IMHO they are smarter than us, and rich after the self-Salomation of laissez-faire free trade.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-22 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'm in favor of war. We should start by invading Ontario. Whatcha think?

Knock yourself out. It's only a few hours west of you, just before you get to LA.

Thanks for the stirring video. But I don't think it's the start of WW III. The U.S. was unable to beat the puny Taliban, it's certainly not going to beat Russia, and our citizens could care less about their own democracy, let alone the Ukrainian republic. Maralago Mussolini did his best to weaken NATO and Zelensky; if re-elected, for a small fee, he'll give Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, and Poland to Putin, and perhaps even East Germany, Romania, Moldavia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc.
    I support Biden's decision to get out of Afghanistan. There was no congressional mandate to be there after Bush chased out the Taliban and Obama caught up with Bin Laden. Under Obama, the democratically elected pro-Russian head of Ukraine was overthrown and replaced with crooked oligarchs. Our implementation of our evacuation was horrible however. It turned out that our intelligence had it all wrong and the Taliban rolled up Afghanistan before we could even evacuate Americans. Putin was smart enough to know that our military had declined and that Biden was senile. What better time to invade than when the US was weakened? Xi is watching and is also aware of his golden opportunity.

In a week, Ukrainians will run out of fuel and food.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Knock yourself out. It's only a few hours west of you, just before you get to LA.
    I went to LA once. Didn't stop in time and got awfully wet.

...China also thinks along the line of centuries. Not the last twitter feed......our collapse is quite just and appropriate per all of our 'unique' and grievous sins.
    Agreed. And our sins are not unique, but rather ordinary garden-variety sins. It's just that American exceptionalism is a delusion that leads people to believe that we can make endless mistakes with zero consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I support Biden's decision to get out of Afghanistan.
    Ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I support Biden's decision to get out of Afghanistan. There was no congressional mandate to be there after Bush chased out the Taliban and Obama caught up with Bin Laden. Under Obama, the democratically elected pro-Russian head of Ukraine was overthrown and replaced with crooked oligarchs. Our implementation of our evacuation was horrible however. It turned out that our intelligence had it all wrong and the Taliban rolled up Afghanistan before we could even evacuate Americans. Putin was smart enough to know that our military had declined and that Biden was senile. What better time to invade than when the US was weakened? Xi is watching and is also aware of his golden opportunity.

In a week, Ukrainians will run out of fuel and food.
    What a ridiculous thing to say. If the U.S. military was 100x greater there is still no option to use it. Putin knows the U.S. is not stupid enough to decide on mutual destruction. At least I hope not.

^ We will be heavily impacted leading up to any world-war. Growing ever weaker on the way! One has to consider what 'trump' card China is holding here.

And no, I don't mean donald. This is far bigger than that distraction.
    Not committing the US military to a ground war in defense of Ukraine or Taiwan does not make America weak in the slightest. Strategically it is the smart move. Power is most powerful when used wisely. Not spent at every opportunity it could possibly be used. The Russian regime is playing their hand here for all the world to see. Politically this war will drive a wedge between themselves and many nations because of the sheer brutality on a country they claim to be culturally close to. Militarily the Russians look unimpressive. Those 50+ year old vehicles chugging along in column together would not last a few days against any first world western air force. Hours, against United States Airpower.

God be with the Ukrainian people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast