Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Can-Am Cross Border Drone Corridor Under Discussion

The supply chain vulnerabilities highlighted by the recent Ambassador Bridge blockage have stirred up talk about creating a corridor for drone delivery across the Detroit River. This had been under discussion, in particular with the Michigan Central innovation district, and may have found its legs after recent events.

Obviously this would not replace movement of heavy parts but could speed point to point delivery of lightweight critical items, like chips. Services like this exist, I know a friend who had a job at such company, where small aircraft are used to fly emergency items, but that is airport to airport, then must be motored to and from the airports.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...060629_1348361

The cartels have been using drone swarms to move kilos across the border for years,so you know it will work for anything weighing at least 2.2 pounds.

I will see if I can find it but I read an article that discussed the flaws in Just In Time,but the general consensus is when the supply chain is interrupted it is always temporary and even though you see reports that they are losing 100s of millions per day,in the bigger picture and despite its flaws Just in Time was saving them enough to justify keeping it.

Remember when the Tsunami hit in Japan,supply chain gets interrupted,the discussion kicks up,the supply chain starts moving again,end of discussion.

They operate per 1/4,supply chain gets interrupted,they have a bad 1/4,then the other three make enough to offset it.

There is a difference between a shortage created by the movement of parts verses a shortage created by the production of parts.

There are pictures of parking lots filled with brand new Broncos awaiting chips,are they losing 100s of millions per day?

All those years ago,that was part of my plan for Packard,an independent jointly funded storage facility for critical parts,which would have created at least a 30 day buffer against slow downs.

One manufacture was on board,the other 2 no.

The disruptions are always temporary and not that common enough to really offset costs that they are saving in the rest of the year.

It sounds crazy when they say they are losing 100s of millions per day,but they are not really and in the bigger picture of the rest of the year,it like you or I losing $10,but we do not get that $10 where they do.

I remember back in the 70s,there was a fire at a antifreeze production facility,the country went into a tizzy because it was winter,the price of a gallon of antifreeze quadrupled overnight,as kids we were selling gallons of antifreeze on the street corner like drug dealers,it only lasted like 30 days then when production started back up,it was like nothing ever happened.
    Last edited by Richard; February-22-22 at 11:02 AM.

NO! I want my gondola lift first!

^ you will not need it,they are already producing EV people movers.

In this case,they completely forgot about rail,every manufacture has rail lines running to it.