Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Juwan Howard

Default Juwan Howard

What he did was absolutely wrong in every respect, I think the punishment was correct, maybe too lenient. I do not think he should have been removed permanently, but if anything like this happens again then he should be. That being said you have to appreciate the fire this guy has; I'd much rather have a guy like him at the helm than a Brad Ausmus type coach.

What does this have to do with Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What does this have to do with Detroit?
    Since Ann Arbor is a contiguous community of the Detroit-Windsor metro, what happens there, and at U of M, is allowable for discussion here.

If he was not a well recognized alumnus he would have lost his job. I thought a suspension through the end of the season would have been appropriate, but allowing him to come back for the postseason seems very lenient to me. He's got two strikes right now--the first one having been the situation with the Maryland coach last March.
    Last edited by DetroitSoldier; February-22-22 at 11:22 AM.

Juwann Howard could be suspended for the rest of the Season.

He's done a great job coaching and recruiting, but to everyone's surprise he's had some anger management issues in the last couple of games, culminating in Sunday's embarrassing shoving match that he triggered. The suspension is deserved and hopefully he'll use it to get his s*** together.

In the previous game he got a technical foul for blowing up at a ref, then a stupid minor tech for stepping out on the floor and retrieving a loose ball that, while it would have rolled out of bounds, was still in play. It cost the team three points in a very close game that, if lost, would have been entirely on him. If he wasn't a legend he'd likely have been gone for Sunday's event that bordered on assault. Now if it was hockey...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    He's done a great job coaching and recruiting, but to everyone's surprise he's had some anger management issues in the last couple of games, culminating in Sunday's embarrassing shoving match that he triggered. The suspension is deserved and hopefully he'll use it to get his s*** together.

In the previous game he got a technical foul for blowing up at a ref, then a stupid minor tech for stepping out on the floor and retrieving a loose ball that, while it would have rolled out of bounds, was still in play. It cost the team three points in a very close game that, if lost, would have been entirely on him. If he wasn't a legend he'd likely have been gone for Sunday's event that bordered on assault. Now if it was hockey...
    Speaking of hockey...plenty of concerns about the behavior over at Yost Arena these days too.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...vironment.html

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    If he was not a well recognized alumnus he would have lost his job. I thought a suspension through the end of the season would have been appropriate, but allowing him to come back for the postseason seems very lenient to me. He's got two strikes right now--the first one having been the situation with the Maryland coach last March.
    Unless they somehow win the Big 10 tournament or at least get to the final it's looking like the postseason may be the NIT. The one game suspension to the players may be just as important if they lose to Rutgers tomorrow. I have to agree though I'm surprised at the temperament. I never saw him lose it as a player, college or pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Not particularly surprising given he literally threatened to kill a different coach last year and got kicked out of the game.

Michigan, given all the issues they've had recently, needs to be careful. They are really playing with fire letting Howard back so quickly.

Some anger management therapy should be required, before he returns to anything. This is not the precedent that you want to be setting as acceptable in any way, shape or manner from anyone, not only in sports but in every day life.

It was very wrong what Juwan did on all levels, but what I don't understand is why didn't the Wisconsin assistant that Juwan struck didn't get a suspension? I watched the tape in slo-mo and he was barking obscenities to Juwan and helped escalate the situation. Also Gard deserved at least a one game suspension as well for his part. They both were culpable in escalating the incident. In the end, where's the fairness in discipline?

Listening to the audio of the incident is very telling. A lot of F-bombs flying from many different people.