Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Oakland Hills CC Fire

The clubhouse at Oakland Hills CC is currently experiencing a massive fire. This is often listed as one of the top 10 courses in the country. It's hosted many US Opens and a Ryder Cup. in 2021 they completed a $12 million renovation aimed at bringing another major to Detroit.

This is going to take years to recover from. Sad for golf and architecture enthusiasts in the region.

The shots of the whole roof on fire in the center part of the building are tragic. I've been in that building and it is a lovely repository of the place's considerable golf history. It's a C. Howard Crane design and one of the great clubhouses in America.

Just in time for that remodel. Always!

The clubhouse [[was) the second largest wooden structure in the state behind the Grand Hotel. There was invaluable golf memorabilia displayed in the place.

For perspective, this is the golf equivalent of something like the Notre Dame fire in Paris a few years ago. People from around the world know of Oakland Hills. I've gotten texts today from golf friends in Europe who are upset by this.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Just in time for that remodel. Always!
    Two years of renovating down the drain. What a wild sight.

Last I read they were still hoping for the 2028 US Open. They have time to rebuild but the committee would want to see plans before giving approval and there may not be time. Insurance will cover rebuilding but they will lose a ton of revenue in the next couple of years.
    Last edited by 401don; February-17-22 at 01:31 PM.

There is nothing 'invaluable' about whacking a little ball with a metal stick then chasing after it.

A VERY bad day for those planning big events such as weddings there....
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-22 at 06:52 PM.

Quite a few departments got called in. My city, Rochester Hills, was onsite. It looks like at first they were on the roof trying to fight it but retreated when they started losing the battle.

From what I heard, they smelled smoke throughout the building but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. When the fire department got there and started doing thermal imaging and poking holes, they found it was up in the attic. By that point, you have to imagine the attic was pretty well fully engaged. They should have started hauling trophies and such out right then and there. The fire departments did what they are trained to do, and did a tremendous job doing it, but that fight was likely over before it even started.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    From what I heard, they smelled smoke throughout the building but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. When the fire department got there and started doing thermal imaging and poking holes, they found it was up in the attic. By that point, you have to imagine the attic was pretty well fully engaged.
    Not necessarily. In a mostly enclosed space like an attic, it can smoulder slowly for quite a while. Once they start 'poking holes' and it gets air, it's off to the races. Add in any amount of wind and you have a blowtorch.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    They should have started hauling trophies and such out right then and there.
    TV news and local papers report that the OHCC staff, with the help of firefighters, were able to save some of the priceless memorabilia! Bravo!!

Elsewhere I read that they had fans running in the attic to dry out some water leakage. Speculation that a fan overheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    There is nothing 'invaluable' about whacking a little ball with a metal stick then chasing after it.
    In my business career, alpha kahunas played golf, and hoi polloi played putt-putt. I used an heirloom putt-putt club handed-down through the male line since 1952.

The recent $12 M renovation was of the course, not the clubhouse.

Hope the club carries a lot of insurance, they're going to need it. Membership might have some assessments coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    TV news and local papers report that the OHCC staff, with the help of firefighters, were able to save some of the priceless memorabilia! Bravo!!

Elsewhere I read that they had fans running in the attic to dry out some water leakage. Speculation that a fan overheated.
    Why does every historic building that has a disastrous fire [[such as Notre Dame) start with the sentence "we were making repairs"....

That club's insurance carriers are going to look to subrogate to get their money back, or some of it. Bloomfield Township won't be immune if their Fire Department missed something when they were called out for that smoke smell inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I read those scheduled events will still happen. . . ...not sure where?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Here are a few alternatives:

Oakland County Mini Golf Courses | Oakland County Moms