Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2022 Detroit Tigers

I always feel like I'm over the hump with winter when I hear that the pitchers and catchers have reported to Lakeland for Spring Training as they now have, well sorta. Only the minor leaguers have reported as the owners have locked out the big leaguers in a contract dispute.

Nonetheless this promises to be the first year in quite a while that the Tigers may have a chance to make the playoff following big free agent signings and the maturation of its young studs. What do you think? Turn off the hot stove and play ball, well maybe.

Name:  spring-training.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  51.2 KB

Waiting for the lockout to end.

Tigers have had a losing record since 2016, last year they were 16 GB, playing over 500 will be a feat. . . ...

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Tigers have had a losing record since 2016, last year they were 16 GB, playing over 500 will be a feat. . . ...
    I think they should be around .500 or a little better only because they're in the Central. The young starters with a full year of experience need to take a step forward and we'll see how Tork & Greene play in their rookie seasons. Looking forward to opening day - June 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Looking forward to opening day - June 1st?
    At least it will be warm out?

Everybody knows athlete's salaries are insane. Top players in MLB getting 1/4 BILLON dollar contracts and higher? I know the owner's get television revenue and charge 9 dollars for a beer and all that good stuff, and I hate to side with them, but you have to wonder when this is going to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Everybody knows athlete's salaries are insane. Top players in MLB getting 1/4 BILLON dollar contracts and higher? I know the owner's get television revenue and charge 9 dollars for a beer and all that good stuff, and I hate to side with them, but you have to wonder when this is going to stop.
    Don't side with the owners. Nobody is forcing a few owners to give out a few crazy high contracts and nobody is forcing them to charge 9 bucks for beer. During these negotiations the owners are being incredibly cheap. Revenues have increased 30% since 2019 and average player salaries have dropped during that time. The average major leaguer plays 4 years. Meanwhile MLB has the lowest minimum salaries of any of the sports, including hockey. Several teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland and yes Detroit, get revenue sharing dollars and refuse to spend it on payroll. Instead they bank it and charge you more for your beer. The players are asking for very little in this negotiation - minimum wage increase, an extra year for arbitration for certain [[not all) players and decreased revenue sharing. The owners aren't giving in, hoping as the players get closer to losing paychecks they'll cave again. Meanwhile after 2 years of a pandemic, people who booked trips to Florida this year for spring training are screwed. The owners hold each spring training city hostage for millions for new facilities and then cancel spring training so the cities can't pay off the debt with the revenue they would earn from hotel & restaurant taxes.

Don't matter to me. They ain't gettin' any of my money. Other than should I happen to buy a beer or something that sponsors them.

Nice interview with Willie Horton. Hard to believe that he was separated from white players even at the Tigers spring training facility.
    https://www.mlb.com/tigers/video/a-c...-willie-horton

The first few games of the season have been cancelled as a result of the lockout. This means no trips to Seattle or Oakland.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sport...by-mlb-owners/

Dumb players; dumb owners. I hope the whole season goes under and most of them apply for welfare.

Happy Opening Day folks! Go get 'em, Tigers!

This has got to be one of the craziest win-preceeding moments I've seen in baseball, but we got a walk-off in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    This has got to be one of the craziest win-preceeding moments I've seen in baseball, but we got a walk-off in the end.
    Two things:

1. Bless You Boys!

2. F*** You BSD!

Great win tonight. Baez is fun to watch. The Tigers broadcast team, no so much.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Great win tonight. Baez is fun to watch. The Tigers broadcast team, no so much.
    Absolutely ! Especially Gibby. I know about his Parkinson's and I like the guy and he's knowledgeable, but his delivery sounds like fingernails on a black board.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-12-22 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Absolutely ! Especially Gibby. I know about his Parkinson's and I like the guy and he's knowledgeable, but his delivery sounds like fingernails on a black board.

Gibson is droll, and he is not well at all. I'm surprised he can still work.

Why can't the owner do something about the huge dimensions of Comerica Park. It's a park built for small ball, baseball today is the opposite of small ball. It isn't what fans come to the park to see.

I don't want to sound hysterical, but this season is not starting out good and it has become concerning. At this rate they're going to be out of it by June. I was really hoping for meaningful baseball this season, all season long. Not saying things can't turn around but it'd been disappointing up to now.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I don't want to sound hysterical, but this season is not starting out good and it has become concerning. At this rate they're going to be out of it by June. I was really hoping for meaningful baseball this season, all season long. Not saying things can't turn around but it'd been disappointing up to now.
    It figures. Even with all the injuries, they finally have a bullpen and nobody can hit. Schoop is swinging at balls over his head, Tork is taking too many strikes early in counts, Baez is back to his old Cubbie ways, Miggy is purely a singles hitter now which I can live with but he shouldn't be in the middle of the order, Baddoo is totally lost and Haase appears to be a one year wonder. Meadows has hit but still doesn't have a home run. Other than that we're fine and should do well going into Houston for 4 games. It would appear a little hysteria is in order.

Is this a team-wide slump, or are a lot of these hitters regressing to the mean after last year? My optimism is dwindling.

Did'ja ever stop to think that maybe that baseball team has an owner who doesn't GAF?

ESPN did an article earlier this week that offensive productivity in the month of April was one of the lowest months in decades. Teams with great pitching are the ones reaping the benefits so far. The Tigers have a lot of young pitchers on staff, a lot of injuries, and the veteran Rodriguez that they brought into anchor things this year has been scuffling.

They seem to also be making a ton of errors on defense this year [[I don't have any numbers, but just my perception) which only makes things worse.

They've got the pieces in place to be as good or better than last year. They just aren't putting together complete games. Some aspect always seems to fall apart.

It's still a young season. Hopefully as the weather warms and the balls start travelling further, it'll give them the spark they need to turn things around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Did'ja ever stop to think that maybe that baseball team has an owner who doesn't GAF?
    Thanks for another insightful comment Ray.

Another wasted season; They're last in MLB with 11 home runs and a .087 isolated power percentage, and they're 27th with a .609 on-base-plus-slugging percentage. Averaging three runs per game, the Tigers are the worst scoring offense in baseball.

BTW: How does Avila keep his job at 9-22, nevermind. . . ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast