Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Twin Towers Planned for abandoned downtown Windsor Chrysler dealership property

I know this is a pretty sketchy part of downtown across the street from The Beer Store and Food Basics, but I hope it goes through: Goyeau Green Towers - Passa Associates

The Goyeau Green Towers – 727 / 777 Goyeau Street, Windsor, Ontario, Canada

"The Goyeau Green Twin Towers are designed to create an urban vertical forest where people and nature will coexist within two 21 storey landmark residential towers in the city of Windsor. It is a project for metropolitan reforestation with vertical planting which will absorb carbon, reduce pollution, buffer noise, and provide cooling while enhancing the natural environment with biodiversity. The towers will house 544 apartments with a landscaped podium for 548 cars and be covered with thousands of shrubs and plants. Each Tower will have 54 large 3 level trees with smaller vegetation on private balconies which will improve air quality efficiently by absorbing carbon dioxide. The plantings will also play a key role in moderating indoor temperatures in the summer by shading the interiors while hosting multiple species of trees and shrubs to promote biodiversity providing an oasis for nesting birds. The vegetation also supports the occupants by producing oxygen and humidity while establishing connections with nature through sensory perception with the natural elements of water, air, light, and greenery. This helps in creating a more productive and healthier environment with positive effects for the psychological and physiological health of all residents."

This is exciting architectural news. Ever since I've seen these green skyscrapers, in Milan first I think, I've thought why aren't all building like this? Here's some pics from the architect's site.

Name:  Windsor2.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  Windsor3.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  131.7 KB

I believe the Italian architect Stefano Boeri began this direction with his vertical forest in Milan.
    Name:  boeri2.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  101.0 KB

Is this an actual proposal or just an architects concept for what could be done with the site?

I would take those in Detroit in a heartbeat.

It's only a couple of blocks from the hospital which has been expanding so should attract renters from there. Wondering what those plants look like hanging from the building when they're not blooming?
    Last edited by 401don; February-16-22 at 08:35 AM.

Those photos look like they're from one of those apocalyptic disaster movies.

Very neat, I like it! Thanks for sharing!

Oh, yeah. It was a series about cities where left over without people and nature over-grows everything. Can't recall the name -- but some of the scenes looked like this. A bit too much greenery in odd places for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Do residents have to maintain the plants? I can barely keep my aloe plant alive...

How would it be enforced that everyone actually TAKE care for the plants.

That would vary just a how often some vacuum or mop their floors! Look up there are some brown withering plants hanging down from Apartment 110? Maybe some green violation fine ...... will be applied.

Is it really possible to have “54 three level trees” without having the roots ultimately compromise the structure?

^ Yeah, rot and mold seem to come to mind especially considering the variation on how people would manage this.

Also this is MICHIGAN! That greenery would look horrid all dormant and dead seven+ months of year.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-16-22 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Is it really possible to have “54 three level trees” without having the roots ultimately compromise the structure?
    Yes. The roof is built like a bathtub complete with drainage. The green roof type is an Intensive Green Roof. Intensive in the sense that it requires tending to and maintenance - not unlike a formal garden.

Last edited by hybridy; February-16-22 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Yeah, rot and mold seem to come to mind especially considering the variation on how people would manage this.

Also this is MICHIGAN! That greenery would look horrid all dormant and dead seven+ months of year.
    A good landscape architect would select appropriate species that provide visual interest throughout the seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

I was curious about what it would look like in winter, so I found a video of the building in Milan that shows it in every season. Does it look better in summer? Yes. Is it horrid? I don't think so at all.
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  83.0 KB

link to full video: vertical forest | spring, summer, autumn, winter | Stefano Boeri Architetti

Windsor really needs to start building more high-rises. What is the holdup?

Wow! Yes good points relative to gardening and planting in general! I have seen gardens and landscaping where they set up flowers from the early spring and as those plants die off in late summer, other plants come up in nearby or overlapping areas. Never forgetting Marigolds which bloom all the way until it snows just about - hence their nick-name as the 'last rose of summer'....

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    A good landscape architect would select appropriate species that provide visual interest throughout the seasons.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-16-22 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Do residents have to maintain the plants? I can barely keep my aloe plant alive...
    As far as watering and drainage that will be done automatically in this proposal.

So they'll be a waterline into each trees planter.

They're also using filtered waste water to supply that water. Not clear to me is the source, but likely runoff from the roof/drains etc, I would think.

Also for those asking if its 'real' it has been 'pre-submitted' to the City of Windsor Planning dept.

The typically means an opportunity for planners to offer informal comments/concerns that may need to be addressed in a formal application.

Information can be found in the Facebook post by Passa:

https://www.facebook.com/PassaArchitects

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Windsor really needs to start building more high-rises. What is the holdup?
    Why? Low-rise housing is cheap and it's not like it's a thriving downtown. I'm surprised these are getting built since the math really doesn't work for rental housing. It's usually condos built and bought up by investors who rent them out and make money on the appreciation. Windsor, like a few other small/medium Ontario cities is trying to increase downtown activity with their universities.
    Last edited by 401don; February-16-22 at 02:48 PM.

Life After People

Name:  FeedMe.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  12.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    Is this an actual proposal or just an architects concept for what could be done with the site?
    To answer the first question asked, it seems to be an actual proposal, but in the very early stages.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...d-for-downtown

Frankly, I'd be shocked if this happens. And if it does, it certainly won't look anything like this.

Windsor is the New Detroit. Can't wait to see what it develops.

Name:  FeedMe.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  12.7 KB
    Lots of critters,it becomes more then just watering,pesticides nutrients etc.

What happens when you have 100 Canadian geese chilling out in your veranda.

Good way to be posh without actually being posh - sorry I cannot make the opera,my gardener is coming at 12,but rooftop gardens have been around since the Roman times.

My cousin had a 6 story apartment complex,one of his tenants decided to get into gardening,by placing plastic down on the floor and putting dirt on top,in the living room,the 5 floors below them did not see the benefits from it as the water made its way down.
    Last edited by Richard; February-17-22 at 04:23 PM.

^ok boomer

have some eye candy:

Last edited by hybridy; February-18-22 at 10:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast