Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stafford wins Super Bowl first season out of Detroit

Lions luck keeps on rolling. Couldn’t even have made the Rams throw in a conditional pick?
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-13-22 at 10:07 PM.

Stafford was the best QB the Lions had in my lifetime. I don't remember Bobby Layne, that was before my time. I didn't shed any tears when Stafford left, I didn't think the Lions were going to win with him, with the Lions he failed in a lot of crucial situations. I think his replacement, Jared Goff is not very good, nowhere near the QB Matthew Stafford is. I'm very happy for Stafford. He was a great guy off the field, great guy for the community, but make no mistake about it, it's another black eye for the Lions organization.

Three playoff wins and a Superbowl win has excised any demons, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Stafford was the best QB the Lions had in my lifetime. I don't remember Bobby Layne, that was before my time. I didn't shed any tears when Stafford left, I didn't think the Lions were going to win with him, with the Lions he failed in a lot of crucial situations..
    Best Lions QB I ever saw was Erik Kramer.

Rodney Peete would stink up the place and get injured, then they'd put Kramer in and he'd win a 4 of 5 games for them, getting them into the playoffs. One year he even helped them win their only playoff game since the dawn of the Superbowl era.

So naturally you'd figure Fontes would start Kramer the next season right? But no, they'd go back to Peete. Finally they traded him to the Bears, where he did pretty well. He still holds their single season passing yards record at 3,800 some yards.

I never liked or disliked Stafford. He would be OK, but then throw picks at just the wrong time.

He also seemed to lack touch on the ball. Rifling it at his tight ends when they were just a few yards downfield, making it hard to catch. I saw that 2-3 times tonight.

Stafford seems to have gotten over throwing behind all of his receivers. That's a nice improvement.
    Last edited by Rocket; February-14-22 at 12:26 AM.

Nice to “good guys finish first”. He paid his dues with ten years of sacks and injuries under a poorly managed franchise, but did it with dignity and without whining. So happy to see him get to the mountain top. We all knew he was great and now he has proved it.
    Name:  2B91ED87-0380-4939-9AE1-EB34658E01BE.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  78.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Nice to “good guys finish first”. He paid his dues with ten years of sacks and injuries under a poorly managed franchise, but did it with dignity and without whining. So happy to see him get to the mountain top. We all knew he was great and now he has proved it.
    Name:  2B91ED87-0380-4939-9AE1-EB34658E01BE.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  78.9 KB
    I agree with your take. He just showed that with the proper talent around him, he can lead a team to the promised land. The Lions never built a team around him from top to bottom. Even though Goff helped take them to the SB, McVey knew he needed better, so he went after Stafford. Ironically, Kyle Shanahan was after him too, but McVey beat him to the punch.

lol its funny how SO many football experts....even some in this group...kept screaming that "sTaFfOrD iS tHe PrObLeM, hE GoTtA Go!"

I'll be messing with them the rest of the year. But we all know they'll never admit that they were wrong.
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; February-17-22 at 01:45 PM.

The Tigers rotation of Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez & Porcello all have World Series rings.

I haven't heard anyone mention the half-time show.

It is a case if 'If you don't have anything good to say....'?

Last years was amazing. Who was it? Bruno Mars?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I haven't heard anyone mention the half-time show.

It is a case if 'If you don't have anything good to say....'?

Last years was amazing. Who was it? Bruno Mars?

I didn't have a problem with it. It beats Willie Nelson.

Half time is beer and snack time. Who watches the show anyway?

I loved the half time show third only to Prince and Bruno Mars. And there would be nothing wrong with Willie, maybe 10 yrs younger.
    Last year was The Weeknd
    Bruno was 2014

I don't know $hit but what I hear-Dont watch football. But did HE carry the rams to a superbowl like other superstar quarterbacks? I think he was good but not a superbowl star. Good for him though! His bigmouth wife is gonna really be arrogant now!

I dug the half time show-I was a product of that music generation so thought it was pretty cool.

We can owe it all to Bobby Layne.

It was cool to see Stafford finally get the national respect this season that he wasn't getting in Detroit. People acting like he hasn't been throwing no-look sidearm passes his entire career makes me laugh. I won't be celebrating in the streets or purchasing a Detroit Rams shirt, but it was a nice sports story.

I also thought the halftime show was good. It didn't try too hard to have a viral moment, it was just a solid performance from some universally liked artists.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post

I also thought the halftime show was good.
    I thought it was good only because I was able to head to the kitchen and make all kinds of stuff before the 2nd half started. But that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I thought it was good only because I was able to head to the kitchen and make all kinds of stuff before the 2nd half started. But that's me.
    You're a funny guy Ray. Just say you didn't watch it.

For the last 5 weeks, I kept wait for Matthew Stafford to turn into Matthew Stafford. It didn’t happen. That return from the Rams on that trade isn’t as good as it seemed at the onset. Last pick of the 1st round this year, probably a very late 1st round pick next year, that 3rd round pick and Jared Goff. I thought that trade was highway robbery for the Lions - turned out perfectly for the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ...It beats Willie Nelson.
    Also, beats the Rolling Stones' half-time show of 2006, which was unforgettable... sadly, unfortunately unforgettable. I thought the pitch-correction gear may have been broken.

In general, life is too short and time too precious to waste it watching half-time shows

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    In general, life is too short and time too precious to waste it watching half-time shows
    Life is too short to watch a 15 minute half-time show on a Sunday night in the winter but not too short to comment on it? What were you doing that was so precious?

Turns out we know what we already knew. This organization has been a complete and utter dumpster fire for 75 years. Some of the greatest players of all time literally walked out the door rather than subject themselves to another minute of dealing with this franchise. You could give them the top pick in the next 3 drafts and they would still find a way to completely screw themselves. This is ineptitude to the nth degree, all the way from Martha on down.

Separately, I'm glad Stafford got his Super Bowl ring. To a guy who endured 12 years of this garbage I'm happy he proved he could win games and lead comebacks on a meaningful stage.

Happy he finally found an organization that had players that all worked together, I listen to him this morning on his wife's podcast, needless to say her head is bigger than the stadium the game was held in. She needs to take some voice lessons

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Turns out we know what we already knew. This organization has been a complete and utter dumpster fire for 75 years. Some of the greatest players of all time literally walked out the door rather than subject themselves to another minute of dealing with this franchise. You could give them the top pick in the next 3 drafts and they would still find a way to completely screw themselves. This is ineptitude to the nth degree, all the way from Martha on down.

Separately, I'm glad Stafford got his Super Bowl ring. To a guy who endured 12 years of this garbage I'm happy he proved he could win games and lead comebacks on a meaningful stage.
    How does an owner who doesn't know football hire the right gm? That's all it comes down to in salary cap leagues. They need to find and hire a long-time proven winner when they're out of a job and throw a boatload of money at them and convince them to come to a losing organization and start over. Not easy to do. Otherwise, if it's a 1st time gm, they need to lean on the advice of others who know who has what it takes. Also not easy. There's a certain amount of dumb luck that bad gm's have been hired repeatedly for decades.
    Last edited by 401don; February-17-22 at 09:07 AM.

1. Congrats to Matt Stafford, he deserves it after 12-years w/a clueless losing organization & 3 coaching regimes, would have been 13-years.

2. Current 1st-year HC learning how to be an OC "on the job" so he can possibly find a home in the next 1-2 years after black monday or sooner.

All this love for Stafford and not one mention for A'Shawn Robinson from the Detroit media or the fans? The guy had two great games in a row. With the Bengals double teaming Aaron Donald the whole game, he took over the line of scrimmage with 6 tackles and a sack, shutting down the Bengals run game. His supposed problem when he was a Lion was his inability to reach the QB, but that's never been his game. He was a Suh type tackle.
    The Rams wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without the acquisitions they made during the season. Beckham & Von Miller put them over the top when injuries occurred. The Lions will never win for two reasons. Those players won't come here, and the Lions wouldn't sign them if they did.

We should all bundle up and have a parade for Stafford and the Rams over here. All we have is crappy football in this town, so let's live our lives vicariously through the Rams.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast