Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Snow squalls cause multiple crashes, pileups on Metro Detroit freeways

Stay safe out there folks. Better yet, stay home.

Freeway closure list: Snow squalls cause multiple crashes, pileups on Metro Detroit freeways [[fox2detroit.com)

All lanes of eastbound I-696 at M-5 and all westbound lanes of I-696 at Orchard Lake are closed in Oakland County due to the crash that was reported just after 12:45 p.m. Police won't confirm how many vehicles were involved, but as many as 35 vehicles may have crashed.

Three multiple-vehicle crashes close Metro Detroit freeways

Saw that just a minute ago on my puter. Meanwhile, I'll watch the Super bowl game on my patio. Mid seventies here in Henderson, NV.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Saw that just a minute ago on my puter. Meanwhile, I'll watch the Super bowl game on my patio. Mid seventies here in Henderson, NV.
    Ah yes. The guy who boycotted football and abandoned Michigan is watching the big game.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Ah yes. The guy who boycotted football and abandoned Michigan is watching the big game.
    Wife has it on, so I have to watch it.

You're not bragging are you Ray?

Blame La Nina and global climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You're not bragging are you Ray?
    No, just observing. I spent 48 miserable winters in Michigan, so I'm just happy my old age allows me to avoid any more. Jesus, I hate cold. The last 38 here in Vegas have been a delight. We even got snow once.

Here's a silly idea: Close the freeways before the spin-out crashes begin, not after.

Naw, that will never happen.

No, just observing. I spent 48 miserable winters in Michigan, so I'm just happy my old age allows me to avoid any more. Jesus, I hate cold. The last 38 here in Vegas have been a delight. We even got snow once.
    Somebody in the Bahamas asked me,what is it like to have cold weather 60s,so I have to ask you,what is it like to have snow?

When you watch the videos of these freeway pile ups,everybody is driving fast in conditions that scream out - slow down.

Minnesota has tons of freeway cameras,the last snowstorm they recorded 325 freeway accidents in less then 24 hours.

No different down here in the summer during the rainy season,the first 5 minutes of rain pulls the oils out of the asphalt and it is just as bad as black ice.
    Last edited by Richard; February-14-22 at 05:51 PM.

Clueless Distracted drivers cause numerous crashes and force freeway closures. There I fixed the article
    Weather doesn’t cause crashes people do
    This reminds me of another analogy…

OK... I have a question for metro Detroiters... has this La Nina seemed at all different from the El Nino's of the last 2 years?

Yeah it has been cold... but we've not had huge snowfalls... so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK... I have a question for metro Detroiters... has this La Nina seemed at all different from the El Nino's of the last 2 years?

Yeah it has been cold... but we've not had huge snowfalls... so far.

Not to me either. If we can make it to May without substantial snow, we have a shot.

I was stuck in that mess on 696 on the way home from church.

After sitting there for 10 min I asked the guy in the car next to me what seemed to be going on [he had been vigorously working his smartphone).

He said multiple pileups 1-3 miles ahead. [I was just about at Haggerty).

I could tell by the fact that not a single car was moving even a foot that this was going to be an all-day deal.

A pickup truck with lights and sirens passed by us, and then we saw 5 ambulances going West-bound [to turn around at Novi?] before we made our escape.

A cop up ahead steering people through the dirt emergency turn-around, so I did my own and bombed through the grass median to head West, then made a U'ey at Novi Rd, then took the 275 / M-5 connector exit.

Even with that, it still added 40 min to the trip. That's why you always keep at least 1/2 tank of gas, and a heavy Winter jacket and boots in the car in Winter. [Something you wouldn't be able to do with a share-car or an Uber].

^When they built I-696 west of Telegraph, they sure scrimped on the exits. They are 4 miles apart... on the east side you have an exit every mile or two.

Snowfall reports from the NWS show that areas along the 8 mile and I-696 corridors in Redford, NW Detroit, Southfield and Farmington Hills picked up 3-6" of snow.

https://www.weather.gov/dtx/Winter-W...bruary-13-2022

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Even with that, it still added 40 min to the trip. That's why you always keep at least 1/2 tank of gas, and a heavy Winter jacket and boots in the car in Winter. [Something you wouldn't be able to do with a share-car or an Uber].
    I'm not against ev's but you sure as heck better know the forecast and how much charge you have when you set out in bad weather. It's bad enough in a metro area but if you're heading out I-75 north or south you better be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Snowfall reports from the NWS show that areas along the 8 mile and I-696 corridors in Redford, NW Detroit, Southfield and Farmington Hills picked up 3-6" of snow.

https://www.weather.gov/dtx/Winter-W...bruary-13-2022
    Wow...here at the eastern terminus of I-696 [[at I-94) we only got a dusting. I used a broom to clear the driveway.

"Snow? Snow? We doan' got no snow. We doan' need no steenkin' snow!"

[[Apologies to Humphrey Bogart and the crew of "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", prolly the best flick ever made IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ray1936; February-16-22 at 11:52 AM.

Look at the videos on YouTube of Japans last freak snow storm,the snow is piled up over 10’ on each side of the sidewalks and streets,you can be walking down the sidewalk and be buried under an avalanche.

They got 13’ of snow in a 48 hour period in some parts,that is insane.
    Last edited by Richard; February-15-22 at 09:27 PM.

Spinouts on freeways spotted as FOX 2 Weather Beast braves winter storm

Here's a good look at the equipment on top of the "Weather Beast." There's a 360° camera — not just your usual dashcam.

^ Yikes! I am staying in [working remote] until this clears up this afternoon, or tomorrow at some point.

Here's 20 minutes of old spinout footage.

The one at 9:15 comes close to an experience I had decades ago. I was driving as slowly as possible with no other traffic around. By the time the spinout began, I was not moving forward at all. The car {a Volkswagon bug} just slowly rotated in place in the middle of the road. It was just absurd. No harm was done.

That's when I learned that sometimes the road conditions can be so bad that doing any driving at all is just a bad idea.

ULTIMATE Compilation of Car & Truck Slides
    Spinouts in Bad Weather! High Quality Cameras
    A 20-minute supercut of more than 60 car, truck and tractor-trailer slides, jackknifes, spinouts and loss-of-control driving incidents caught on professional video resulting from my 12-year career of covering winter storms as a freelance news cameraman. ***No one was hurt in any of these incidents*** Footage shows icy roads caused by snow, freezing rain and sleet....
    Be safe.