Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Patterson Terrace Rises from Its Ruins

It is great to see the comeback of the lovely Patterson Terrace. I have passed its ruins for decades amid what was once an open drug market zone in Brush Park when I took the photo below in 2006.
    Name:  patterson-terrace-55887.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  118.7 KB

From JC Reindl in today's Free Press...

"A once-abandoned residential complex in Detroit's Brush Park neighborhood that was gutted by fire and then nearly demolished is now in the process of being rebuilt as luxury apartments and could welcome its first occupants in decades this spring.

"Businessman Ramiz Almass, 45, who also coowns the Fresh Fish House restaurant chain in metro Detroit, says he has spent more than $3 million so far trying to redevelop the empty Patterson Terrace, which stands at the corner of John R and Erskine streets in the fast-revitalizing neighborhood north of downtown.

"The building dates to 1905 and has been vacant for two or three decades. After suffering several fires, the structure, Almass said, was essentially a roofless brick shell when he began acquiring parcels of the property in 2012.
    Name:  patterson-terrace.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  92.9 KB

The new owners just finished the one corner port of the Patterson Terrace Row Homes. But they still got a lot to go.

Wow! Those will be some really nice units when complete. Full of character and style absent in those new-built cookie-cutter, thin-box-glued together housing items already coming up in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The new owners just finished the one corner port of the Patterson Terrace Row Homes. But they still got a lot to go.
    I think the other end is under different ownership

What a gorgeous façade. It’s difficult to imagine it was actually saved given the state it was in. I hope the other portion on John R can likewise be saved.

A google street view trip around that intersection proves to be very interesting. What a difference ten years makes! It briefly flips from images taken six months ago to what it looked like ten years ago. In the earlier version, a) the Patterson is a decayed hulk; b) across Erskine from the Patterson the John R portion of the “hip city Detroit” infill was built but stalled and vacant and the Erskine Street portion wasn’t there - some abandoned foundations are there but not the nine or so row houses that eventually were built; c) the massive “Scott” on Erskine towards Woodward isn’t there - just vacant land; and d) the SoMa parking structure on Erskine is a parking lot.

It’s so easy to see the large amount of vacant land that still exists compared to other cities, stalled projects, still abandoned buildings, etc. Its nice to “step back in time” and see how parts of the city, such as around that intersection, are radically better than a decade ago.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; February-14-22 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks for posting. This renovation is happening in quite a few locations
    in Detroit? Did we think this was possible a decade ago?

Detroit is a prime example of never say never and here is another historical example of a diverse stock of architecture.

Bet there was a bunch who would have liked to seen it demolished in a moment of time.

I have been compiling a list of these buildings and plan on checking them out in June,when it is a bit warmer,I think I will be skipping the historic vacant parking lots.

Not sure if those are elevator shafts or rooftop excess to a patio but it pretty cool that they stuck to the original intent on the window replacements.
    Last edited by Richard; February-14-22 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I think the other end is under different ownership
    The owners should have brought the rest of the Patterson Terrance Row Homes and fix it up. As for right now, some new owners are living in half the fixed-up row home complex. The rest in the corner is for squatters.

The description reads - when he started buying the parcels back in 2012.

really does not say how many - most likely and looking at what has been done if somebody else owns adjacent,they may have incentive to fix the rest even more so when the term - luxury apartments,is used $

Yeah I can see that [from the photo]. I'd be concerned that would go up in flames. For certain rodents will come in from the abandoned adjacent property.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The owners should have brought the rest of the Patterson Terrance Row Homes and fix it up. As for right now, some new owners are living in half the fixed-up row home complex. The rest in the corner is for squatters.

The Free Press article states the remaining vacant units are in the process of being sold to the same developers, and they will begin work once the current units are complete. So fortunately it will look like one cohesive development. Impressive work.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/6727353001

I love the addition of the historic looking cornices. Gives it a real charm. About those additions on top. I don't care so much that they are there and are modern... but they could have done a better job of color coordination with the historic structure below.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I love the addition of the historic looking cornices. Gives it a real charm. About those additions on top. I don't care so much that they are there and are modern... but they could have done a better job of color coordination with the historic structure below.
    I couldn’t agree more about the cornice. It’s absolutely gorgeous - especially considering that’s it’s completely recreated. It’s also nice that the windows mimic the proportions of the original windows.

Must be some mighty big shoes to need to those big ol' shoe boxes added up top.

The north portion was not available at that point. I heard that it is now listed for over $500k unrestored.