Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default GM Super Bowl ad featuring the Ren Cen--great commercial

DetBill... thanks for sharing. I like it... and that it shows the top of the RenCen... but it is missing that... je ne sais quoi...

I have to say though... it will be impossible for any Superbowl commercial to ever top the 2011 Chrysler commercial showcasing Eminem and Detroit... it pushes all the right buttons for DetroitYESers...

^ Yes, this was a grand commercial!

Excellent visuals, style and branding. Almost makes me want to purchase a Chrysler 200... well eh' no.

I came to like Austin Powers ala the James Bond spoofs etc. but I don't see enough 'car' imagery here to make me want to go GM for a purchase....

There's only a fast glance and a nondescript vehicle or two at the very end. Too much Powers this and that -- not enough car [product placement] integration.

Have to disagree. I find the Powers thing outdated and creepy. I want a positive image about ev's and what they can do better - gas savings, acceleration, etc. I like the use of the Ren Cen, which still looks futuristic at 40 years old but I would like to have seen a Cadillac Lyric in front of or on top of it, maybe incorporating a skit with lots of lasers inside and outside the building. I don't like GM's "there's one for everybody" electric ads either.
    Last edited by 401don; February-12-22 at 08:33 AM.

They are not trying to sell cars with this ad. They are trying to get people talking about General Motors EV initiative. Getting General Motors and electic vehicles in the same sentance is the whole direction of their marketing department at the moment.

1 million conversations like this is their plan:

"My favorite commercial was the Dr Evil-GM commercial."

"Me too but what was it for?"

"Something about electric vehicles."

Granted, and the older ad is dated to a period [time stamped]. The new one just doesn't SELL the company brand sufficiently to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Have to disagree. I find the Powers thing outdated and creepy. I want a positive image about ev's and what they can do better - gas savings, acceleration, etc. I like the use of the Ren Cen, which still looks futuristic at 40 years old but I would like to have seen a Cadillac Lyric in front of or on top of it, maybe incorporating a skit with lots of lasers inside and outside the building. I don't like GM's "there's one for everybody" electric ads either.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-12-22 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    DetBill... thanks for sharing. I like it... and that it shows the top of the RenCen... but it is missing that... je ne sais quoi...
    They could have tried to make that 2011 ad a little more cheery. They made the city look gloomy and depressing.

I get at the time the ad felt empowering, but looking back I don't like how it buys into the media narrative.

Have to disagree. I find the Powers thing outdated and creepy.
    I wouldn't say creepy lol, but it's definitely cringe. IDK why they went with this, wonder what their focus groups said.

Yeah, I don't think it was all that good. Everyone has such small attention spans these days...I got bored with it within 15-20 seconds. Blah.

People watch ads?

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Granted, and the older ad is dated to a period [time stamped]. The new one just doesn't SELL the company brand sufficiently to me though.
    I think it's a waste of effort to sell the GM name. You would be surprised how few average car buyers across the country these days know that GM makes Chev, Buick, etc. With all the car brands out there most people just don't pay much attention. You won't find Stellantis being marketed in tv ads. It's an advantage for Ford, Toyota, etc. that their company name is also their main brand name.

True! Toyota for example is more known by their manufacturer name and their car models. Especially when I think of their top four-door sedans sold in this market [Camry and Corolla]. I'll hear someone say I have a Toyota, then clarify which model... or say my 'Toyota Camry' or similar Dodge, ala the Charger.

Indeed how many people say 'my GM'? Well maybe 'my GMC Truck'?!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-13-22 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ... Indeed how many people say 'my GM'? Well maybe my GMC Truck?
    That's an interesting question. I recall references to a "Jimmy" vehicle so I looked it up.

What is a GMC “Jimmy,” and why is it called a “Jimmy?”

The Jimmy name was chosen to reflect the sound of the letters “GM” when spoken aloud. This is similar to how the name Jeep was rumored to originate from the pronunciation of the letters “GP,” standing for “General Purpose.” This theory of the origin of the Jeep name is under debate.

^ Yes, I thought of mentioning 'Jimmy'. My uncle had one. Loved it!

Thumbs down for me too. I agree with you, "creepy and outdated". It seems clear to me the target audience are those old enough to remember Austin Powers and what a Jimmy is = those older folks now with the money to buy new cars.

I liked the commercial with the Electric Silverado used behind the opening scene of the "Sopranos". Don't know who the actress was driving it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I liked the commercial with the Electric Silverado used behind the opening scene of the "Sopranos". Don't know who the actress was driving it though.
    That's a great ad. I just watched it on youtube. Can't believe you don't recognize Meadow [[Jamie Lynn Sigler). She's hugging "her brother" AJ, the next Sopranos generation, hence the tagline.
    Last edited by 401don; February-14-22 at 11:47 AM.

That's a great ad. I just watched it on youtube. Can't believe you don't recognize Meadow [[Jamie Lynn Sigler). She's hugging "her brother" AJ, the next Sopranos generation, hence the tagline.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't recognize her, but now that you mentioned it, it was her. She's grown up.

Where's Austin Powers?

Loved it! Being a late-to-the-party Soprano's fan [binge watched the whole season in 2021 - Hah!]

The 'making of' the video is cool too!

Gee, eh - I GUESS they didn't get killed in that last Soprano scene!

That Silverado commercial was voted the best by a lot of media.

With the pharaohs some would hope....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Where's Austin Powers?