Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default Protesters in Canada block Ambassador Bridge

An ongoing protest in Canada over COVID-19 vaccine mandates spilled over into Detroit Monday evening via the Ambassador Bridge.

The protesters blocked traffic on the largest international suspension bridge and prevented motorists from passing, with signs calling for an end to the mandates.

The bridge to Canada in Detroit has been closed, according to the Michigan Department of Transportation, and motorists should use the tunnel rather than the bridge, or head to the Blue Water Bridge that goes from Port Huron to Sarnia, Ontario.

Protesters in Canada block Ambassador Bridge [freep.com]
    Last edited by Pam; February-07-22 at 10:37 PM.

IMHO the provinces should revoke the operator licenses of all the drivers and impound their rigs. These are the currently ruling provincial authorities:
    Provincial Premiers | The Canada Guide

And Michigan should forbid those drivers from entering the state.

^ that attitude is what they are protesting,what do you think happens if Michigan forbids the drivers from entering the state and the truckers do an entire Michigan blockade on the US side?

Truckers were your best friends while putting their life at risk during the lockdown and making sure that you had food and fuel,now that you feel safe - screw em.

People from all across the world are supporting their cause including in the US you do not think the truckers on the US side would not think twice about stopping at the Michigan border,you think you have supply problems now,90% of your life is delivered by truck.

Or what happens when the rest of the country starts bycotting products from Michigan in support?

The governor and as it seems, a majority of her supporters may lean towards the dictatorship style of living,but she is anything but stupid.

The last shutdown was in the 90s,everybody survived.

The citizens of Windsor should be elated,they have been trying to shut down the bridge for a long time,the wish has been granted,what’s the problem?

Mad because the bridge is open,mad because the bridge is closed,some are just never satisfied.

Besides they are not protesting,just like during the summer of riots,they are peacefully expressing their concerns about systemic oppression and in the favorite words from our hero from NY,AOC.

The whole purpose of a protest is to make noise so it can be heard.

A truckers protest and drive to DC is being organized on this side of the border also,before one makes the choice of cutting off of their borders to truckers,they should study the Berlin airlift and see if enough MREs can be airdropped in so people can still eat,because it will be bad enough when everybody that works is sent home,because you will not be able to feed the production lines.

Not to even mention the military lives that you are putting at risk as they head into battle and cannot get the supplies that are manufactured in the state,of course there are other manufacturers in other states that would be happy to pick up that slack and collect the billions in contracts,that kind of talk alone puts those contracts at risk because nobody is going to take that chance.

But that is that mindset,shut the state down,lose billions in revenue,put millions in limbo with no work,create a supply chain logistics nightmare that would take 6 months to recover from,all while dealing with empty store shelves and closed gas stations.

All in order to force a couple of hundred truckers to get a shot that has been proven to be sketchy from the start,sounds like a solid plan,good luck with that.

You have the eyes of the world focused on your little piece of real estate right now,the best approach may not be the doubling down on dictatorship rule 101.
    Last edited by Richard; February-08-22 at 01:32 AM.

Good for them... At some Canadians are becoming Americans.

Several American outlets are stating "Canadian truckers are protesting..." rather than making it clear that it's a very tiny percentage of truckers, just as a very tiny percentage of citizens in general are protesting. Ninety percent of Canadian truckers are vaccinated and 99% are busy doing their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Several American outlets are stating "Canadian truckers are protesting..." rather than making it clear that it's a very tiny percentage of truckers, just as a very tiny percentage of citizens in general are protesting. Ninety percent of Canadian truckers are vaccinated and 99% are busy doing their jobs.
    I'm not clear why authorities in Ottawa are allowing the blockage of the center of the city to continue. Canadian niceness? I believe in the right to peaceful protest even if I don't agree with the protestors. However the residents and businesses who have to endure their blaring horns and traffic obstructions have their rights too. IMO they should create a permitted protest zone then start ticketing and towing if not obeyed.

My guess is that they are waiting for them to burn themselves out. Most trucks have big payments that can't allow them to sit idle too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I'm not clear why authorities in Ottawa are allowing the blockage of the center of the city to continue. Canadian niceness? I believe in the right to peaceful protest even if I don't agree with the protestors. However the residents and businesses who have to endure their blaring horns and traffic obstructions have their rights too. IMO they should create a permitted protest zone then start ticketing and towing if not obeyed.

My guess is that they are waiting for them to burn themselves out. Most trucks have big payments that can't allow them to sit idle too long.
    The police have admitted they totally miscalculated. They expected them to leave after the 3 day weekend. While the vast majority are peaceful [[except for the horns) they know there's a fringe element who would love a violent confrontation. They didn't expect the organized support with food and other supplies either. A young girl actually got a court injunction yesterday requiring them to stop blowing the horns for 10 days and, surprisingly, it's being obeyed.
    Last edited by 401don; February-08-22 at 08:57 AM.

But enough to block traffic from the Ambassador, down I75, and rumor has it, as far as Ann Arbor.
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Why don't they just shoot them?

Unless this is sarcasm, That's what's wrong with this country now. Every problem can't be solved with a gun...
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; February-08-22 at 09:25 AM.

Name:  273581791_1902999353239424_3199438697113584469_n.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  25.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    IMHO the provinces should revoke the operator licenses of all the drivers and impound their rigs. These are the currently ruling provincial authorities:
    Provincial Premiers | The Canada Guide

And Michigan should forbid those drivers from entering the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...All in order to force a couple of hundred truckers to get a shot...
    If it's just a couple of hundred truckers, then revoking their licenses will not create a supply-chain nightmare.

Besides they are not protesting,just like during the summer of riots,they are peacefully expressing their concerns about systemic oppression and in the favorite words from our hero from NY,AOC.

The whole purpose of a protest is to make noise so it can be heard.
    So I'm assuming the tear gas and rubber bullets will be coming out soon?

All in order to force a couple of hundred truckers to get a shot that has been proven to be sketchy from the start,sounds like a solid plan,good luck with that.
    And now your comment lost the little credibility it had.

If it's just a couple of hundred truckers, then revoking their licenses will not create a supply-chain nightmare.
    Do you live in a bubble or are you just trolling? A couple of hundred?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    But enough to block traffic from the Ambassador, down I75, and rumor has it, as far as Ann Arbor.
    Well yeah, it certainly only takes a relative few people to cause chaos anywhere.

I smell astroturfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I think you're right about that. On the other hand, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees mobility rights, i.e., the right of every citizen to enter, remain in, or leave Canada. In blocking the border, the protestors are infringing on those rights. In that regard, they are just being bullies. They prolly were bullies in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Do you live in a bubble or are you just trolling? A couple of hundred?
    No, Richard claimed that there were only several hundred. He also claimed that revoking their licenses would create a logistics nightmare. I was simply pointing out the illogic of said claims.

I just hope they don't start rioting, looting, and burning down Federal courthouses. Canada would be wise to board up the windows of their athletic shoe stores.

No, Richard claimed that there were only several hundred. He also claimed that revoking their licenses would create a logistics nightmare. I was simply pointing out the illogic of said claims.
    The shot at this point only protects the individual,the reason in the past for the border controls were to stop the spread,we know now that is not happening.

There was a trucking company poll,10% have not received the shot,does not sound like much but there are a lot of trucks on the road.

The other option would be,the ones that do not take the shot can only do in Canada deliveries,with the influx of drivers it would decrease the prevailing rates but double the cross border rates.

January 15 was when the US was supposed to also implement the shot requirement for truckers,a shot requirement that has been struck down by the courts several times.

You say my claim of less trucks delivering goods creates a logistical nightmare is illogical,that in itself is illogical.

You are also underestimating the solidarity of truckers,shot or not,at a time when there is a shortage of truckers and large freight is already running 30-60 days behind,just because Amazon drops your package on time,the businesses and employers that need that freight are the ones that remain backlogged and when you are backlogged,you send employees home.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    So I'm assuming the tear gas and rubber bullets will be coming out soon?

And now your comment lost the little credibility it had.
    The credibility was lost when people are forced to get a shot,when it is an individuals choice.

Once again,when it was proven that those who received the shot can still catch and spread COVID the concept of stop the spread was lost,now it is just down to,just get the shot because I demand it and we will force you to comply,no different then China.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Unless this is sarcasm, That's what's wrong with this country now. Every problem can't be solved with a gun...
    Sorry, just my right wing reactionary knee-jerk response whenever I hear about protesters.

Why don't these guys get a job.. and shave?

Who is acting prime minister of Canada while Trudeau is missing? Hopefully he/she can do something to negotiate with these nationwide demonstrations. I hate seeing the backup at the Ambassador Bridge.

The Supreme Court has already ruled and the ACLU has already confirmed that the rights of the people to protest in the streets cannot be abridged or infringed upon in any way. NO WAY, nada, zero, zip, zilch, cannot be infringed, never never, don't even think about it, never gonna happen,..etc..

Name:  street [[2).jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  155.3 KB

Ottawa is not bound by US court rulings. There are now rumblings that they have had enough and are cracking down.

The fools running Texas and Florida have been yammering and Ottawa is telling them to hush or face consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Ottawa is not bound by US court rulings...
    Oops, students at Cass Tech may have been taught otherwise?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast