Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Motown Museum purchase of additional building for expansion.

Crain's Detroit has a story dated 2/1/22 entitled "Motown Museum's expansion plans have nearly doubled with purchase of an additional building not far from the former location." As usual, I have not seen any coverage in any other media print or other sources. I am not a subscriber to Crain's.

Can anyone give any insight into what is going on with the expansion?

And most important, if you are able, any contribution towards this massive effort will be graciously accepted. Your support will make this the biggest tourist facility in the state. Go to www.motownmuseum.org for details on how you can help out.

I don't have the answer but there a ton of vacant land behind the museum and in the triangle block between it and the hip Marble Bar that would seem to offer all kinds of affordable opportunities.

Name:  Land-behind-Motown.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  118.8 KB

"The museum has acquired an office building about three-quarters of a mile away at 2550 W. Grand Blvd, west of Rosa Parks Boulevard.

Just shy of 36,000 square feet, the building sits on approximately 3.3 acres of land, according to CoStar Group Inc., a Washington, D.C.-based real estate information service. The land includes more than 195 gated parking spaces, and the building was constructed in 1968, according to CoStar."

Awesome! That area's been known [particularly Ferry Pk] to be pretty sketchy. My dad used to refer to it as 'hangman's gap'. I recall near that bar was a methadone clinic. However, there's now a Henry Ford Hospital center on the opposite corner and a creative arts community center/ art park of some kind so hey let's see that whole area improve.

Better street lighting would help greatly. It's pretty pitch-dark at both 14th and 12th streets near Ferry Pk., Holden etc.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-06-22 at 11:12 AM.

Like your enthusiasm but it won't be the biggest tourist facility in the state. That obviously will continue to be The Henry Ford.