Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old Church on E. Forest to be converted to Lofts

This would seem to be an interesting challenge as the building is so narrow. Nice location near N'namdi Gallery / Seva and Medical Center. The developer has a record of success so good luck and I hope they keep the ivy.

Name:  LoftChurch.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  75.0 KB

An empty church in Midtown Detroit could be the next big showpiece for creatively reused real estate under one developer's vision to transform the old worshipping space into 15 lofts. h Birmingham business owner and developer Neal Check, 57, bought the former New Grace Baptist Church building, 92 E. Forest Ave., in May and hopes to begin converting the 11,000-square-foot building to studios and one-bedroom apartments as early as this spring, pending necessary city approvals. h The project also would refurbish the church's tall windows and pitched ceiling, and build out the second floor to extend over the former altar for more living space.
    https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...e33503_1348350

That would be a great development in a prime Midtown location. And it keeps the unique history of that church alive - I’d call the project “The Swedenborgian!” His project at 40 Hague looks very nice. Repurposing industrial buildings, churches, schools, etc is so critical to maintaining the character and fabric of Detroit. As much as new construction is needed, let’s face it - it’s mostly bland boxes that you could find anywhere.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; February-04-22 at 10:58 AM.

I actually don't think the conversion will be that difficult - yeah, it's narrow, but that just means you can do an interior hallway along one side, and "slice" as you. Or else do individual outside entrances along one of the long exterior walls

Street View's always fun to roam around the neighborhood.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-05-22 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This would seem to be an interesting challenge as the building is so narrow. Nice location near N'namdi Gallery / Seva and Medical Center. The developer has a record of success so good luck and I hope they keep the ivy.

Name:  LoftChurch.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  75.0 KB
    An empty church in Midtown Detroit could be the next big showpiece for creatively reused real estate under one developer's vision to transform the old worshipping space into 15 lofts. h Birmingham business owner and developer Neal Check, 57, bought the former New Grace Baptist Church building, 92 E. Forest Ave., in May and hopes to begin converting the 11,000-square-foot building to studios and one-bedroom apartments as early as this spring, pending necessary city approvals. h The project also would refurbish the church's tall windows and pitched ceiling, and build out the second floor to extend over the former altar for more living space.
    https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...e33503_1348350

This place is literally the next block over from me. It would also be nice if these under-utilized/unused parking lots next me on Hancock between Woodward and John R could get some development soon.
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; February-04-22 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Street view's always fun to roam around the neighborhood.
    If you navigate around the corner on Street View, you can see that the structure is surprisingly deep. The two additions extend it all the way to the alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    This place is literally the next block over from me. It would also be nice if these under-utilized/unused parking lots next me on Hancock between Woodward and John R could get some development soon.
    Agreed, wish they had plans for the corner of Forest and John R. Rather than just surface parking. Maybe some retail hiding parking behind it ah-la The Auburn.

Great to see this saved though!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Agreed, wish they had plans for the corner of Forest and John R. Rather than just surface parking. Maybe some retail hiding parking behind it ah-la The Auburn.

Great to see this saved though!
    There is a small mixed-use project in the works for the southwest corner of Forest and John R, right next to the Church.

Hopefully, this comes to fruition:

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...xhibit%20C.pdf

Right! I drove by there today and the structure is larger than I thought -- indeed sitting pretty far back from the street. This will be some project when finished. Far better than another parking lot!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    If you navigate around the corner on Street View, you can see that the structure is surprisingly deep. The two additions extend it all the way to the alley.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-05-22 at 09:11 PM.