Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default First electric vehicle charging road in US to be in Michigan Central District

The EV revolution rolls on. Imagine the day when you never stop to fill up / charge up.

Name:  roadelectric.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  33.2 KB

Electric vehicles driving in Detroit could increase their charge by using an in-road charging system by 2023, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's office announced Tuesday.

In 2021, Whitmer announced the state's plan to build the first electric vehicle charging road in the U.S. The contract to build it was awarded to ElectReon, an Israel-based company that develops wireless charging infrastructure. The roadway would charge electric vehicles.

ElectReon has contracts for similar roadways in Israel, Sweden, Italy and Germany. “It's exciting to start in the birthplace of the modern automobile industry," said Electron CEO Oren Ezer.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...dec05e_134834e

I wish they said a bit more than “in the Michigan Central district.”

This does, somewhat.

https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-e...oad-1001400893

“Electreon will lead the design, evaluation, iteration, testing and implementation of the pilot program, which aims to be operational by 2023. The project is currently slated for a stretch of road up to one-mile long in Detroit and will include dynamic and stationary wireless EV charging.”
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; February-02-22 at 06:43 PM.

Like the Tesla Coil.

we're really inventing some wild technology to avoid just getting trains

They should have put the first of it in on Woodward between 6-7 Mile... the location of the world's first mile of concrete over a century ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    we're really inventing some wild technology to avoid just getting trains
    It is just like dumping the street cars,there is more money in selling everybody a car verses figuring out ways not to own a car in the first place.

They should do this test charging run in a roundabout,so we can physically see everybody going around in circles.

So at 60 mph you will get one minute charge or at 30 mph a full 2min!

Now here's an environmental action I can support...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gas-power...205028611.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    So at 60 mph you will get one minute charge or at 30 mph a full 2min!
    Bingo!

Great, now a bunch of kids crossing streets will be killed by 5G electrorays.

So you would need to have a smart phone with you,
    And it would need to be paired to your car,
    and it would also need to use it's data signal,
    and have it's GPS location on,
    and have a link to your Credit Card,
    and interface with the local government,

all so that the system could charge you for the amount of current your car inducted? {George Orwell couldn't even dream right?]

Or will this be free [I.E. Funded by my taxes] ?
    Last edited by Rocket; February-04-22 at 03:47 PM.

^ Everything has a cost and repercussions, obvious and obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    So you would need to have a smart phone with you,
    And it would need to be paired to your car,
    and it would also need to use it's data signal,
    and have it's GPS location on,
    and have a link to your Credit Card,
    and interface with the local government,

all so that the system could charge you for the amount of current your car inducted? {George Orwell couldn't even dream right?]

Or will this be free [I.E. Funded by my taxes] ?
    They are saying there is a box you have to buy - $3000-$4000 in order to make it all work,most of the new cars already have GPS tracking on them,no doubt the new little black box will be filled with things that they will not disclose anyways.

Sounds kind of fanciful, to put it mildly.

^ And mega expensive to repair when it breaks down!

In motion charging is not a new concept.

I wonder what happens when we convert to EV's and a major storm like the one on I-95 in Virginia a month ago when people were stranded for 24 hrs, with 10 degree temps and you can't get to a charging station and everybody's battery dies? What is the plan for that? I'm not ready to convert, sorry....

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I wonder what happens when we convert to EV's and a major storm like the one on I-95 in Virginia a month ago when people were stranded for 24 hrs, with 10 degree temps and you can't get to a charging station and everybody's battery dies? What is the plan for that? I'm not ready to convert, sorry....
    There’s a very simple solution to that problem, you call AAA and ask them to bring you a can of electricity.

^ For sure there are uncertainties and already you're getting the IF you're 'questioning' any of this you are a ______________ [fill in the blank], or listening to _____________ [ditto] and therefore not appropriately green-minded. NO! I am is a realist. Just as Toyota is relative to NOT going all electric in Japan [withstanding that they were one of the firsts - ala the Toyota Prius].

Also, it has not been fully long-term tested how well the EV systems will function in very cold climates such Michigan. How will this impact lower income persons and the poor? And I need a better response than switching to public transpo.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-06-22 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    There’s a very simple solution to that problem, you call AAA and ask them to bring you a can of electricity.

+5...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    In motion charging is not a new concept.

That’s being tested in Germany for the interstate trucks,that same set up.

It’s all about chasing the federal funding,the same thing will happen as it did with solar and wind turbines,they flourished until the government incentives across the world dried up.

Its like you throw a pile of cash into an intersection,people flock to it until it is gone.

We were testing electric third rail street car and rail using magnetic contacts where the line was not energized until the magnets connected,10 years ago.

AAA was testing EV roadside assistance where they could charge a stranded electric car, but so few people actually needed it, they stopped the service. If EVs continue to grow in popularity, I am sure AAA and other roadside assistance companies will meet the market's demands and offer it again.

Until then, you can still get towed to the nearest charging station, just like when any regular car breaks down for any number of reasons.

^ what happens when AAA comes and towed you and their battery dies 1/2 way there.

You know their rule is you cannot get towed twice for the same issue,so you would only be allowed one dead battery tow per year?

I used to own a tow truck company with AAA,BMW,Ford contracts etc. The trucks ran 24/7 ,no way they could have been taken off of the road for charging overnight.

I ran 8 roll offs or flat beds which are what is needed for todays cars,most AAA contractors run 3 trucks or less,figure I payed in 1992 ish $80,000 per truck,todays numbers would be $175,000 per truck,no way a small operator will be able to do that,I guaranteed a 45 minute response time,I used my AAA 6 months ago and it was 4.5 hours before the truck got there and I was right in the downtown of a city.

Currently it is 6% of the population using EVs even after spending trillions of dollars the goal of 50% EVs by 2030 is a pipe dream and a current government money grab,forget about charging them,you have to overcome 100 years of a support infrastructure geared to ICE.

They still break,they still need to be fixed,somebody has to gear up and train and produce the parts on a massive scale,the logistics behind it is mind boggling.

Volvo has started producing EV construction equipment,but their battery span is 4 hours under load,wanna spend 200k for a piece of construction equipment that only allows you 4 hours of work per day?

Who is going to come out and fix it if it breaks ?

A 3 month road project already takes 5 years,what happens when their equipment only gives them a 4 hour window.

Having said that,my boat burns 30 gallons of gas per hour,or $150 per hour to operate,I am seriously looking at picking up a few totaled Tesla’s at salvage or even Fords over the counter version,if it comes available again,I would have to build my own battery pack,Fords version is over 400hp which is what I need,but even at that I would have to add it as a 3rd prop inbetween the gassers because it would suck to be out in the ocean and the battery dies,so like the rest of the EVs it would be another play toy.

But in my case that would be an instance where if it works it would be economically feasible.

But they act like we are there already because they pumped out a few EVs,the reality is they have not even dusted the surface yet.

How come Elons Gulfstream jet is not electric? He does not trust the system enough to test it out 15,000 miles up in the air?
    Last edited by Richard; February-05-22 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    AAA was testing EV roadside assistance where they could charge a stranded electric car, but so few people actually needed it, they stopped the service. If EVs continue to grow in popularity, I am sure AAA and other roadside assistance companies will meet the market's demands and offer it again.

Until then, you can still get towed to the nearest charging station, just like when any regular car breaks down for any number of reasons.
    I'm sure you'll be back on your way in no time at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post

I'll bet there were a lot of guffaws when horses towed broken down autos around the turn of the Twentieth Century--some of them electric power too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast