Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Great Blizzard of 2022

Hasn't panned out by me yet. I'm up around 16 Mile and Lasher Road. The snow that fell this morning mostly melted on arrival, on hard surfaces and grassy surfaces. As of now, 5:45 PM, February 2nd, I think I received about 4 inches that has piled up. Maybe the situation will change, but as of now I'm a long way from the 12 to 16 inches that was predicted. This was more like a garden variety snowstorm, not life altering. I'm not complaining about it, just telling you about it where I am. Drove over to my office and to Trader Joe's and the roads were crappy, not horrible but they were crappy.

It's not an issued Great Blizzard for Great Lakes.
    Last edited by Danny; February-03-22 at 06:47 AM.

I don’t even listen to weatherman when it comes to “storms” like this. All it is an excuse to grab the spotlight. I’ve lived in Michigan my whole life. I’ve seen snow and I lived. I know what to do. You can’t control the weather only cope with it. Wake up, look outside. That’s my weather report.

When I went to shovel snow for the first time at 5PM... there was 1 inch of slush [probably the weight equivalent of 5-6 inches of snow]. I went out again at 2AM... and here in St. Clair Shores... I only had to remove 2 additional inches of snow, with no more expected.

What did other folks get in their neck of the woods?
    Last edited by Gistok; February-03-22 at 05:04 AM.

Not much of a blizzard. I don’t understand why our news services get so breathless over weather. The seem to revel in marketing panic. I prefer getting my weather info from the Weather Underground Www.wunderground.com you can get information down to a neighborhood level.

Our 24 hour news station in Toronto always promotes their "storm center" will be open during any storm. I always picture some guy opening a storage closet and sitting behind his little desk.

Another two to three inches is still on its way to
    Southwest Detroit according to the weather forecast.

The precipitation stayed as rain early on and gave
    west side Detroit one inch of slush followed by no
    more than four inches of additional snow. The salt
    trucks and plows were all out there diligently
    clearing the roads.
    Someone driving a pickup with a blade even cleared
    two lanes worth of the Detroit side street I live on.
    If this were not cleared at all, even though the total
    accumulation for the two days might only be six
    inches, it would be a heavy frozen pack which could
    cause difficulty driving on it for as much as a month.

So much appreciation to all those who
    were clearing the sidewalks and roads!

Accuweather's giving me all the data in metric. I can't find a control to change it.

That site may be having technical difficulties.
    It is showing that there was less than an inch
    total precipitation for SE Michigan in the last
    24 hours.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mi...-precipitation

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    That site may be having technical difficulties.
    It is showing that there was less than an inch
    total precipitation for SE Michigan in the last
    24 hours.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mi...-precipitation
    Oh, good. It's not just me then. In my browser, the caption for the graphic map at that link says "All values are displayed in millimeters."

One has to wonder how these things ever get past Quality Control.

It might have something to do with the labor shortage/Great Resignation.

I don't think they had any snowplows back then.

Name:  snow [[2).jpg
Views: 478
Size:  121.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post

Sure they did. They were attached to horses.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post

If you visit the Model T Museum, you'll see Model T pickup snowplows that had tractor type threads on the back and snowplows on the front.

I've seen charts of the greatest snowstorms in Detroit history, one was run again on the weather news a couple of nights ago.

Now they need a list of most over-hyped snowstorms in Detroit history. This one would surely make it near the top of such a list. Up to 16"? Not much over 4" by me.

One of the worst overhypes was in about 1997 when I was going to Oakland U. They predicted over a foot just before midterms. For days, they kept adding to the totals until schools, businesses and universities all closed before it "started". We never even got a flurry. Oakland had closed for the first time in over 20 yrs and I got an extra study day. But were they pissed. And there was one weather guy who had been bucking the trend and saying, "no snow". He was from Channel 4, but not for long; CNN hired him away right after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I've seen charts of the greatest snowstorms in Detroit history, one was run again on the weather news a couple of nights ago.

Now they need a list of most over-hyped snowstorms in Detroit history. This one would surely make it near the top of such a list. Up to 16"? Not much over 4" by me.
    Last edited by jcole; February-04-22 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Now they need a list of most over-hyped snowstorms in Detroit history.
    One has to consider how listeners|viewers manage expectations and their own perception of risk. If persons ignore warnings and catastrophic damage occurs and|or high death tolls result [[ie: summer flooding) who's to blame? Meteorologists, local officials consider the liability|responsibility to folks not unlike a Physician has to manage a patient's expectations for recovery.

It would seem the intensity and unpredictability of our weather patterns will continue and individuals need to personally be responsible for preparation and interpretations of the news they hear.

Personally, I'd rather be overprepared and digest overhyped info versus being caught with my pants down. - kind of like the whole world re:the pandemic. Then again I had masks, sanitizer, meat and toilet paper and needed not to go hunting through overrun|emptied stores.
    Last edited by hybridy; February-04-22 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Personally, I'd rather be overprepared and digest overhyped info versus being caught with my pants down.
    I'd rather they concentrate on accuracy and tone down the melodramatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    Thanks. That was funny.

Except don't pump your brakes. It defeats the purpose of an Antilock Brake System.