Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Gucci Store coming to Downtown Detroit

It's official. Gucci will open its second Michigan location in Downtown 'Gilbertown' Detroit.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/retail...detroit-summer

Detroit lost Under Armour and Roast. At least this city will get a Gucci.

Way to go Dan Gilbert and Team Rocket.
    Last edited by Danny; January-22-22 at 06:55 AM.

If anything, it's very cool to have some good retail off Woodward.

That's good. I will be glad to hear that Columbia will open a store even an outlet store downtown. Downtown or midtown need a linen store such as a Bed, Bath, and Beyond in the area.

It better be near a police station. They rob all the designer stores at Somerset blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It better be near a police station. They rob all the designer stores at Somerset blind.
    They're voracious readers as well - at least based on all the books they took from Borders in the Compuware Building.

I would love to see what is going to go into Under Armour's space. I think that the lack of foot traffic, expensive meters, and the lack of reliable mass transportation had parts in this store going under. What Gilbert should do is allow free parking for 2 hours in one of his structures for those who are shopping at one of the stores downtown as long as shoppers could present receipts at the parking garages when leaving as well as the Qline

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would love to see what is going to go into Under Armour's space
    How about a Cartier store, since Detroiters love that brand so much! No Cartier store in the metro area, not even Somerset.

When the RenCen opened up in 1977... there was a Cartier, and Ungaro, A Givency and 2 other designer stores... within a year or two they were all gone from lack of business. Of course a RenCen indoor location is a certain kiss of death for the retail trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    When the RenCen opened up in 1977... there was a Cartier, and Ungaro, A Givency and 2 other designer stores... within a year or two they were all gone from lack of business. Of course a RenCen indoor location is a certain kiss of death for the retail trade.
    When the Valentino store opened in the RenCen a friend and I went in to check it out. We noticed there were no prices on the items in the store. When my friend asked the price of a pair of leather kid skin gloves the saleswoman gave her that if you have to ask you can't afford them look.

So, the choices are wig shops and liquor stores or hoity-toity 'designer' stuff most residents can't afford? Or the Boutique Tarjay and Meijers? Those are the choices?

Crowleys, Hudsons, Penneys, Winkelmans, Hughes & Hatcher, Richmans [sp?] and so many others ...... The places that people from all over town would make the trek downtown to go to on weekends, the places that were family shopping events.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    We noticed there were no prices on the items in the store.
    Displayed prices should be mandatory for all items. No exceptions.

Cartier frames have actually fallen out of favor [especially that brown tinting]. Replaced in favor of Warby Parker and Prada!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    How about a Cartier store, since Detroiters love that brand so much! No Cartier store in the metro area, not even Somerset.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-24-22 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post

There will be Team Rocket Security along with the own private security force in the new Downtown Detroit store to keep the riff raffs outs.

Hah! More than a few of us like our Beauty Supply stores [also known as weave and wig shops] at least let them be a bit upscale as appose to the groady ones! As for booze: Well one need not fall into the bullet-proof glassed liquor store now. Both the Miejers on Eight Mile and on Jefferson ave. downtown supply the need full-out. Discreet-like along with your carton of eggs, celery, cereal, milk and toilet paper in the shopping cart......

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So, the choices are wig shops and liquor stores...

If they were waiting for me to come into the RenCen to shop they'd have closed immediately! I worked for an organization that held workshops in there and utilized the very nice Wintergarten area for events. Goodness what a dark maze - very hard to navigate. And let's not mention parking [though much improved]. I like the building otherwise - what a landmark!

...Of course a RenCen indoor location is a certain kiss of death for the retail trade.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-24-22 at 07:52 AM.

From what I read, Godiva Chocolate and FAO Schwarz [Toy Store] also had a store at the RenCen when it first opened.

When the Valentino store opened in the RenCen a friend and I went in to check it out. We noticed there were no prices on the items in the store. When my friend asked the price of a pair of leather kid skin gloves the saleswoman gave her that if you have to ask you can't afford them look.

She was probably right.

There are three very similar John Portman developments in the US - Peachtree Center in Atlanta, Bonaventure Plaza in Los Angeles and Renaissance Center in Detroit. All three are a nightmare to negotiate for the walking public.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    What Gilbert should do is allow free parking for 2 hours in one of his structures for those who are shopping at one of the stores downtown as long as shoppers could present receipts at the parking garages when leaving as well as the Qline
    Bedrock offers free 2-hr parking with validation at 8 structures throughout downtown. Perhaps not obvious to customers, but I always ask when for validation at point of purchase. Key is to bring along parking ticket to register.
    https://openbusinessmap.bedrockdetro.../?parking=true
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1378
Size:  50.7 KB
    Last edited by hybridy; January-24-22 at 09:46 AM.

But asking the price of something? How gauche.

There were stores in there? All I ever saw was concrete. And plants. It was hard to even find the elevators.

It used to be illegal to avoid labeling prices in Michigan. A 10-year-old story:

Group: Repeal of Michigan item pricing hurts consumer

After years of debate, Michigan lawmakers last year voted to repeal the law that required stores to label each item with its own price tag.

The change went into effect in September of 2011. Some shopper still miss the law.
    I think there's another law that says if an item's price is labeled then it must not be sold at more than that price. That's reasonable.

I scored a nice voltmeter from Radio Shack at a super low price because someone goofed up the label. Yea, fate!

This may be true now. When the store opened inside the RenCen perhaps displaying prices was not mandatory.

I use Henry Ford Optimize for my eye exam/ glasses located in the RenCen Tower 300. Not too far from the Wintergarten area. HFO validated parking right across the catwalk leading to building. It was a bit confusing but once I figured it all went well.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Bedrock offers free 2-hr parking with validation at 8 structures throughout downtown. Perhaps not obvious to customers, but I always ask when for validation at point of purchase. Key is to bring along parking ticket to register.
    https://openbusinessmap.bedrockdetro.../?parking=true

Yet oh so necessary when one is on a budget...........

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    But asking the price of something? How gauche.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast