Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Meat loaf 1947-2022

First of all - is it Meatloaf or Meat Loaf? That was a debate that goes back as far as the Vest Pocket Theater days of 1971. "Meat" - that's what his girlfriend at the time called him, was still working that out. I thought he had settled on Meat Loaf. And that's how it appeared in the theater program for "Hair: America's Tribal Love Rock Musical." [[someone will have an old program and prove me right or wrong.) Meat Loaf had one of the leads in the show, along with a Detroiter, Bruce Govan. Stay with me - this is cute: At one point in the show the cast jumps off the stage [[or maybe they took steps) and ran up the aisles to the back of the house. From there Meat Loaf would jog out to the lobby where I worked with his girlfriend [[Jill?), and plant a kiss on her cheek, [[ "Ahh, Meat!) and then sprint back into the theater, with his Texas football lineman's body. Cute, right? "Meat" and Jill were together through the run of the show - but after that? There were a number of strays that that formed a loosely knit cadres at the VP. I was an assistant, assistant, house manager, who would take Bobby Nederlander's Thunderbird and drive downtown to make a night deposit of that days take. I wanted to hang out with the cast but never got the chance [[Thanks, Jill) "Meat" was full of himself in those days. I think he imagined being very near the brass ring at that Detroit-moment. Big man, big talent. R.I.P.

RE: "First of all - is it Meatloaf or Meat Loaf?"

"The singer told Oprah Winfrey in 2016 where the name Meat Loaf came from. "I got it when I was four days old," he said. "Not the Loaf part, just the Meat, because I was born bright red.

"The doctor suggested they should keep me in the hospital for a few days and my dad said, 'He looks like nine-and-a-half pounds of ground chuck [meat]. I want you to put a name tag on the front of that plastic crib with Meat on it.'"

The second part of his name arrived when he was in school, in eighth grade. "I stepped on a [football] coach's foot, and he screamed, 'Get off my foot you hunk of meat loaf!'"" - BBC Obituary

The Bug got him due to his own 'beliefs'.

I was sad to hear of this today. Loved his music. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The Bug got him due to his own 'beliefs'.
    Are we sure?

The only report so far is from TMZ [who seems to have a fairly low credibility rating], and they said they think it was covid, but also said they didn't know if he was vaccinated. [though he was reported to have been against forced vaccinations, like all sane people].

As of this morning, there was no cause of death given.

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie, didn't like his teddy, you knew he was a no good kid; but when he threatened your life with a switchblade knife, what a guy, made me cry, and I did...

RIP Meat Loaf, thank you for the entertainment!

Rory Dodd, toured with him and sang back-up on Bat Out of Hell. He was from Port Dover, Ontario, 10 minutes from my home town. He was interviewed on Toronto tv today but stated he was uncertain of the cause of death. Rory sang back-up on several hits, including singing "turn around bright eyes" on Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse.
    Last edited by 401don; January-21-22 at 07:37 PM.

There's a photo of the "EAT LAKES" theatre in this old DYes! thread:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mess...tml?1169749940

The top two letters fell off of that sign, and stayed that way for awhile. I remember all the controversy about Hair opening up, as there were actually naked people on stage. The horror! My uncle worked for Junior Achievement, which was right down the street, so I witnessed some of the small demonstrations against the production.

Meatloaf played Pine Knob back in 1978. I got a free ticket that a friend won from some radio station. We had know idea who/what a Meatloaf was, but they were third row, center seats, and included a VIP parking pass, so we went. Afterwords, I said something like: I'm not sure what we just witnessed, but I don't think we'll be hearing much from this guy again.

https://theconcertdatabase.com/sites...07-16pkc_3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    ... "Meat" - that's what his girlfriend at the time called him...
    He didn't let his meat loaf IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post

The top two letters fell off of that sign, and stayed that way for awhile. I remember all the controversy about Hair opening up, as there were actually naked people on stage. The horror! My uncle worked for Junior Achievement, which was right down the street, so I witnessed some of the small demonstrations against the production.

Meatloaf played Pine Knob back in 1978. I got a free ticket that a friend won from some radio station. We had know idea who/what a Meatloaf was, but they were third row, center seats, and included a VIP parking pass, so we went. Afterwords, I said something like: I'm not sure what we just witnessed, but I don't think we'll be hearing much from this guy again.

https://theconcertdatabase.com/sites...07-16pkc_3.jpg
    Seriously? By 1978 the album was huge and he was a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post

Thanks for that link. I saw Hair there in 1970 and forgotten where. I think, though, that it was called the Vest Pocket at the time.

I recall a William F. Buckley, Jr. review of Hair, in which he commented on the performance by "Mr. Loaf." Didn't know he was in the Detroit performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    I recall a William F. Buckley, Jr. review of Hair, in which he commented on the performance by "Mr. Loaf." Didn't know he was in the Detroit performance.
    Not Hair but still funny:

SCTV - Firing Squad with Meat Loaf