Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Flash Mob Oprah & The Black Eyed Peas

This is great, 20,000 people dancing in the streets on Michigan Ave. in Chicago yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnJ49hv5Rho

Wow, why can't Detroit be more like Chicago. Evidently, they always break out in spontaneous dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30w3zsfakQE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNPp6x7j9I8

Contrived Spontaneity

Contrived Spontaneity
    There's an interesting paradox called the Spontaneity Paradox. I found examples discussed here.
    A headmaster announces that to his pupils that there will be an unexpected examination during the next week, i.e., on any day from Monday through to Friday. The students - who seem to be an unusually sophisticated bunch - point out to him that unless he violates the terms of his own announcement and does not intend to give an unexpected examination some time next week, there can be no such examination. For, they argue, if no examination has been held by Thursday evening, then it cannot be held unexpectedly on Friday, since Friday would be the only day left. But if Friday can be ruled out as the possible examination day, Thursday can be ruled out for the same reason. Obviously, on Wednesday evening there would be only two days left: Thursday and Friday. Friday, as already shown, can be ruled out. This leaves only Thursday, so that an examination held on Thursday would no longer be unexpected. By the same reasoning of course, Wednesday, Tuesday and eventually also Monday can be eliminated: There can be no unexpected examination. It may be assumed that the headmaster listens to their 'proof in silence and then, on, say, Thursday morning holds the examination. From the very moment of his announcement he had planned to hold it on that morning. They, on the other hand, are now faced with a totally unexpected examination - unexpected for the very reason that they had convinced themselves that it could not be unexpected.

Well, THAT one gave me a headache......

Jimaz, you are a sweetie, thanks for the read feed. Hope all is well with you.

Speaking of headaches, anyone watching the Tiger game? My hypothalamus is bumping, just about to throb out of my skull!

This event happened right across the river from my office building. They had stuff going on there throughout the day. It was really nice getting off work and just passing through as the black eyed peas performed.

"Oday" is it almost an official Chicago Holiday? Anyway, you were lucky to be in the front row! A wave to you from across the lake, and yes, today was a good, good day.