Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Traffic sign clutter

While this story might only currently be of interest to people who traverse Lakeshore Rd. in Grosse Pointe it could be bad news for every other divided roadway in the state. The short version is that when Wayne County repaved a one mile stretch of this scenic roadway they installed 180 new "one way" and "do not enter" traffic signs on this short stretch, each on a separate pole. Of course the County blames the State and the State blames the Feds and the result is a confusing mess. If this freeway signage is to be the new standard for residential areas we may be doomed to see this happen to every street in town from Outer Drive to Grand Blvd.

https://www.wxyz.com/getting-around-...e-pointe-farms

Come on out to Nevada. Once you get out of Vegas, you'll not see any signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I think there's one on that road - next gas 300 miles. It'll soon be replaced with - next charging station.

This reminds me of the traffic lights at intersections now…one for each lane when the standard was usually 2. Hall road for example. When crossing the schoenherr there is up to 9 lights. Two rows one when crossing north schoenherr and another when you reach the soundboard side. My guess would be maybe the autonomous cars need that many for proper detection?

The one thing I don't like about the new humps they've been installing in Detroit is now there are 4 giant yellow signs per block that say "SPEED HUMP" on them.

You can bet these federal requirements were put in by the "big sign" lobby to funnel more taxpayer dollars for them to install all kinds of unnecessary signage.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    The one thing I don't like about the new humps they've been installing in Detroit is now there are 4 giant yellow signs per block that say "SPEED HUMP" on them.

You can bet these federal requirements were put in by the "big sign" lobby to funnel more taxpayer dollars for them to install all kinds of unnecessary signage.
    I agree with this 100%! My street was a drag strip before the humps were installed. I'm glad their there as my corner lot is now much quieter. However, the amount of signage is over the top. The humps are all painted so I don't see the need for all the signage.

A suitable alternative would be signs coming off the main roads of "speed humps ahead." There is no reason at all to have 4 signs at each hump.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I agree with this 100%! My street was a drag strip before the humps were installed. I'm glad their there as my corner lot is now much quieter. However, the amount of signage is over the top. The humps are all painted so I don't see the need for all the signage.

A suitable alternative would be signs coming off the main roads of "speed humps ahead." There is no reason at all to have 4 signs at each hump.
    I thought this too...until there was snow on the ground. The speed bump on my street has no signage or painting as I have seen on others [[yet anyway - I assume they will put it there in the spring, the bump was installed in the fall). With snow on the ground, it is almost impossible to see the bump without signage. A few cars were damaged as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    A few cars whose drivers were speeding were damaged, yielding no sympathy as a result.
    I fixed your last sentence for you

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    I thought this too...until there was snow on the ground. The speed bump on my street has no signage or painting as I have seen on others [[yet anyway - I assume they will put it there in the spring, the bump was installed in the fall). With snow on the ground, it is almost impossible to see the bump without signage. A few cars were damaged as a result.
    If someone's going so fast that the hump damages their car, then I guess hopefully they learned a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yes that is nice, but how long before Las Vegas expands to fill up this place as well.