Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default SilverCity closing at end of 2022

I don't know if this news item will be of interest to those of you who live in Metro Detroit but the city of Windsor will lose one of its' two remaining movie theatres at the end of this year. The SilverCity cinemas on the corner of Walker and Provincial Roads, near the city's border with neighboring Tecumseh, opened in 1997 just in time for the premier of James Cameron's Titanic, and boasts 3,000 seats and an IMAX theatre on a 17,000 square foot lot. It is currently closed in Ontario's latest don't-call-it-a-lockdown, lockdown. The entire Windsor-Essex region, with a population of 500,000, has only two theatres left to my knowledge, The Devonshire Mall Cineplex, which was built around 2001 as part of the mall expansion, and Lakeshore Cinemas in neighboring Tecumseh at the corner of the E C Row expressway and Manning Road, which opened a few years later. It's pretty depressing to think Windsor once boasted dozens of movie theatres with names like the Vanity, the Capitol, the Palace, Parkway, and Forest Glade.
    Last edited by Margaret's boy; January-17-22 at 12:42 AM.

You can thank streaming movie apps for the decline. Most movie theaters are losing money now, unless you have a blockbuster like Spiderman that the diehards want to be the first to see. Some will wait the few weeks until it becomes available by streaming sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You can thank streaming movie apps for the decline. Most movie theaters are losing money now, unless you have a blockbuster like Spiderman that the diehards want to be the first to see. Some will wait the few weeks until it becomes available by streaming sites.

Correction. You can thank the people that use streaming apps instead of supporting their local theaters.

Maybe if they made an original movie worth seeing once in a while instead of Spiderman 25 I might go to the theater.

It's sad to see the movie theatres failing, especially those like Silver City and others that really weren't that old in the grand scheme of things. As mentioned, many theatres were really on their way out well before the pandemic. Covid's just the final nail in the coffin. Streaming and the increased availability and affordability of giant televisions have all but rendered these places relics of another time.

When one has a 70" 4k TV in their living room it's a hard sell to get them to consider paying $15 per person and another $10 for a small bag of popcorn and a pop just to drive to watch a movie is a crowded theatre.

Or another Fast and Furious 8, 9...

In any event the 'award' shows will tell us what was good, and worthy.......

Rather you watched or not!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Maybe if they made an original movie worth seeing once in a while instead of Spiderman 25 I might go to the theater.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-17-22 at 04:59 PM.

My concentration is less watching at home withstanding the flat big screen/ sound boards etc. I find myself sometimes opening my laptop and surfing IMDB etc. checking out film details before finishing the movie...Sigh... The in-the-theater format did have a certain magic and engagement I somewhat miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    When one has a 70" 4k TV in their living room it's a hard sell to get them to consider paying $15 per person and another $10 for a small bag of popcorn and a pop just to drive to watch a movie is a crowded theatre.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-17-22 at 04:02 PM.

I still see films in theaters. We have a bunch of options here in Palm Springs. I have a group of friends, mostly retired, who meet on Tuesdays for discounted screenings in the afternoon. The only time I’d see an evening film is at one of the numerous film festivals here.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Indeed. I have a rule. Don't watch any movie with a number after it. You have a 98% chance it won't hold up to the original.

The future of the big screen movie houses is dim. With everyone having huge hi def 4K screens at home with streaming services their future is very bleak. The pandemic just drove several more spikes in that coffin.

When someone whines to me about paying $13 a month for HBO, Hulu, Netflix, or whatever I say, "What? A month of thousands movies and shows, many first run, for less that what I pay at a cineplex for one ticket and a box of popcorn--that I don't have to drive to? And no idiots chattering and flashing on their phones every two minutes to send text message, and no ability to pause for a rest break, or rewind to hear what the idiots prevented me from hearing? What's your beef?"

I like the big screen and have many fond memories and it's sad in many ways to see them pass on but times change and life moves on.

Zacha, I find myself doing the same. Simultaneous research going in different directions, but launched off the film. When I lived out of state I would go to multi-screen theater that specialized in "small", foreign, and documentaries...like the DFT on steroids. There was a population to support it. I read an interview with Spielberg 5+ years ago, he said his future vision for film theaters would be more akin to live theater pricing with bigger budget movies and a bigger enhanced visual and sound experiences. There would still be "movies" made that go directly to premium channels or streaming....like we are seeing today.

Although I am looking forward to BATMAN 7... er I mean THE BATMAN... coming out in March.

Robert Pattinson has come a long way since playing Edward Cullen the lovestruck vampire in the 5 Twilight Saga movies... and from the clips... I think he may blow the rest of the rest of the Batmen out of he water... although generally that is a pretty low bar to get over...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u34gHaRiBIU
    Last edited by Gistok; January-17-22 at 06:49 PM.

Back when I was going to movies, which was until a couple of years ago, the theaters I went to were usually well attended. We used to go to the movies once a month at least. It's part of an evening's entertainment, some nights we just didn't want to sit home and watch TV. Would I feel comfortable going to a theater now? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I think he may blow the rest of the rest of the Batmen out of he water... although generally that is a pretty low bar to get over...
    Are you poo pooing the Nolan trilogy?!

Heath Ledger's Joker will always be the GOAT.
    Last edited by hybridy; January-17-22 at 08:35 PM.

Hah! Right-o re. flicks like that. But I made an exception back in the day with Godfather III. Andy Garcia alone made that a winner in my book.......

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Indeed. I have a rule. Don't watch any movie with a number after it. You have a 98% chance it won't hold up to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Correction. You can thank the people that use streaming apps instead of supporting their local theaters.
    You can also thank Covid and convenience. Why leave the house to go to the movies, when you can watch from home? And you also avoid the overpriced concessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

The future of the big screen movie houses is dim. With everyone having huge hi def 4K screens at home with streaming services their future is very bleak. The pandemic just drove several more spikes in that coffin.

When someone whines to me about paying $13 a month for HBO, Hulu, Netflix, or whatever I say, "What? A month of thousands movies and shows, many first run, for less that what I pay at a cineplex for one ticket and a box of popcorn--that I don't have to drive to? And no idiots chattering and flashing on their phones every two minutes to send text message, and no ability to pause for a rest break, or rewind to hear what the idiots prevented me from hearing? What's your beef?"

I like the big screen and have many fond memories and it's sad in many ways to see them pass on but times change and life moves on.

Hammer hits nail.

So, the City of Windsor, ONT. will have no movie theater venues. Horrible!