Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Charles Wright Operates on 6 Million Per Year. Asking Taxpayers for 4 times More!

Using a somewhat similar approach to the DIA, the Charles Wright Museum of African American History and the Detroit Historical Museum are planning to ask Oakland and Wayne County residents to pass a new millage supporting their operations. On the face of it that would seem somewhat reasonable, but the numbers make even less sense than they did for the DIA.

According to the financial disclosures on their website the Wright museum currently operates on an annual budget of just over 6 million dollars [[Some of which is already derived from taxpayer dollars). According to the Freep article the museum is asking for 25 million annually, and for 20 years! And since it's a millage that's not a fixed amount, but will likely increase as property values go up.

The false pleas of financial hardship, election trickery and after the fact bonuses to those that oversaw the DIA millage were bad enough, but the Wright asking for such an insane amount is downright offensive! Especially in a city where so many are struggling to pay property taxes that are already among the highest in the state.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ax/6529539001/
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-17-22 at 12:05 PM.

Good luck with that.

There are a lot of wealthy African-American individuals, businesses, non-profits like the NAACP, etc. What fundraising initiatives has the museum undertaken? Have they done any serious cost-cutting since the pandemic began? What are they doing to market themselves to a wider audience? There are lots of questions of the leadership that need to be answered.

Oakland seems to be onboard to be serious about funding mass transit,that milliage would go a long ways if approved.

It’s been repeated several times that the current hit was because of rona virus losses,the state received hundreds of millions in order to offset rona losses,that’s what that money was for.

Not to offset the importance of the museums,but transit is important now if it has the support to be passed.

The people that will be paying up have also been financially impacted by the virus and are also going to be prioritizing budgets.

I also agree that when asking taxpayers for increased taxes there needs to be some accountability and full disclosure.

These institutions asking for this kind of cash is a joke. The collection of these two museums combined aren't 1/10th of what the DIA has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    These institutions asking for this kind of cash is a joke. The collection of these two museums combined aren't 1/10th of what the DIA has to offer.
    It is asks like this that can poison the well for everyone else.

I get that the museums, the Zoo, Huntington place, etc. need taxpayer support to stay afloat. The problem is it just takes one bad actor to try and over-milk the taxpayers, and once word gets out what happens, then voters are no longer willing to support the true needs for everyone else when needed.

Having Charles H Wright Museum of AA History for more taxpayer money is like asking for more reparations.

Why not join the millage like the D.I.A. and return free trips to your museum? It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Having Charles H Wright Museum of AA History for more taxpayer money is like asking for more reparations.

Why not join the millage like the D.I.A. and return free trips to your museum? It works.
    Are there enough voting suburbanites who want to attend?

Well maybe that's why they are requesting an increase in funding, so they can offer more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Well maybe that's why they are requesting an increase in funding, so they can offer more stuff.
    Or perhaps it's because someone wants a big raise or bonus?

One doesn't have to look too far back to be reminded what the DIA did after their mileage passed in 2012. After pushing the mileage through by threatening possible cuts to hours and services, the CEO received a hefty 15% raise [[Right in the middle of Detroit's bankruptcy) after those new taxes were instituted. To top that off he and others at the DIA received multiple 50K bonuses. All of which were hidden from voters, and only made public years later.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-16-22 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post

One doesn't have to look too far back to be reminded what the DIA did after their mileage passed in 2012. After pushing the mileage through by threatening possible cuts to hours and services, the CEO received a hefty 15% raise [[Right in the middle of Detroit's bankruptcy) after those new taxes were instituted. To top that off he and others at the DIA received multiple 50K bonuses. All of which were hidden from voters, and only made public years later.

Or they want to increase programing, renovate exhibits, pay more staff, and expand the reach of the museum.

"Not only would a millage help us with creating more exceptional exhibits, programming, education opportunities and expansions, it also would ensure our institutions would be here 100 years from now."

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post

Or they want to increase programing, renovate exhibits, pay more staff, and expand the reach of the museum.

Well 24 million more dollars per year would definitely allow that!

The DIA millage trickery and RTA proposals have both left a bad taste in my mouth, but even so I'd be in support of a reasonable millage supporting the Wright and the Historical Museums. However that support would be 100% conditional on it being used solely for improvements and operations and not just adding to an endowment that's bursting at the seams like the DIA's. It would also have to include some type of clause that limited pay increases for upper management to no more than the inflation rate.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-17-22 at 12:06 PM.

Well 24 million more dollars per year would definitely allow that!

The DIA mileage trickery and RTA proposals have both left a bad taste in my mouth, but even so I'd be in support of a reasonable mileage supporting the Wright and the Historical Museums. However that support would be 100% conditional on it being used solely for improvements and operations and not just adding to an endowment that's bursting at the seams like the DIA's. It would also have to include some type of clause that limited pay increases for upper management to no more than the inflation rate.
    You have been misinformed. The DIA isn't even in the top 10 of American art museum endowments. as of 2019 it was at $232 million... the Cleveland museum blows us out of the water at over $750 million. And the New York Metropolitan leads the list at over 10 times what the DIA has.

Tri-County money does not go towards DIA endowments... it goes towards operating costs.

The DIA is asking private donors to try to raise the endowment fund to over $300 million... still peanuts compared to some of the other museums.

And I could only find a source for the pay hike of the top 2 at the DIA... As a suburban payer into the fund... that's chump change on the bigger number... and of course it got county executives L Brooks Patterson and Mark Hackel into a tizzy, but that's what politics is all about...

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...ises/17003375/

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You have been misinformed. The DIA isn't even in the top 10 of American art museum endowments. as of 2019 it was at $232 million... the Cleveland museum blows us out of the water at over $750 million. And the New York Metropolitan leads the list at over 10 times what the DIA has.

Tri-County money does not go towards DIA endowments... it goes towards operating costs.

The DIA is asking private donors to try to raise the endowment fund to over $300 million... still peanuts compared to some of the other museums.

And I could only find a source for the pay hike of the top 2 at the DIA... As a suburban payer into the fund... that's chump change on the bigger number... and of course it got county executives L Brooks Patterson and Mark Hackel into a tizzy, but that's what politics is all about...

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...ises/17003375/

Even at a "measly" 232 million [[Their current financial disclosures show much more than that) That's about 5 times the 55 million it was when they originally asked for the tri-county mileage in 2012!

When you're asking for taxpayer money what constitutes an adequate endowment should never be dependent on the size of those at other institutions! It's ridiculous to even attempt to frame it that way. The truth is, the DIA was not in need of such as substantial millage and in the last 9 years the majority of the funds that would have gone to operations have instead been diverted to that rapidly expanded endowment [[And some of course for the pay raises and bonuses for the higher ups).

The question would be, Why did the DIA renege on their promise to not extend the millage that they made in 2012? Wasn't building that cushion the entire point of the tax in the first place? Yet even now as it stands at 5-7X more than it did in 2012, they're still asking donors to give more. And that's after they pushed through an early renewal of the millage in 2019, a mileage that they originally stated they would not ask to renew.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-17-22 at 12:07 PM.

Diversity is expensive. Initiatives to reach historically disadvantaged minorities are expensive. Staff being paid a living wage is expensive. If we want to be a world-class city, and that means multiple museums, then pony up the cash.

I'm not certain of this, but I believe that the Charles Wright Museum is independent, i.e., not owned by the city -- unlike the DIA which belongs to the city. If so, the status of the two institutions is somewhat different vis-a-vis their relationship to taxpayers.

AFAIK, the museum sits on real estate that it leases from the city.

$40 dollars a year, if you have two people in your house that’s $20 per person. Even less if you have a family.

I bet that’s not a lot of money for most folk.

the tone of the comments indicate that there is an issue with the fact that the Charles Wright museum focuses on African American history. I’m not sure why but it feels like you don’t belong there. Why do you feel that way?

if you’re white but your ancestors came over in the 19 teens to work the car factories, maybe you don’t feel responsible for slavery and Jim Crow. Or maybe you’re from some folks that fought against slavery, maybe you’ve got people that died at Gettysburg, Bull Run or at Andersonville and you’re waiting for your “thank you”.

what about the $40 bucks got you so mad.

Everyone should become a member. It isn't that much, and it's a great place to visit.

https://www.thewright.org/give/become-member

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    $40 dollars a year, if you have two people in your house that’s $20 per person. Even less if you have a family.

the tone of the comments indicate that there is an issue with the fact that the Charles Wright museum focuses on African American history. I’m not sure why but it feels like you don’t belong there. Why do you feel that way?

if you’re white but your ancestors came over in the 19 teens to work the car factories, maybe you don’t feel responsible for slavery and Jim Crow. Or maybe you’re from some folks that fought against slavery, maybe you’ve got people that died at Gettysburg, Bull Run or at Andersonville and you’re waiting for your “thank you”.

what about the $40 bucks got you so mad.
    I do not think playing the race card is productive.

I can burn $40 in the table and it would not phase me,unlike times when $40 might as well had been $1000,it’s not a lot of money unless you do not have it.

You have a city with a high poverty rate,that $40 is critical to them.

Its a bit of a conundrum isn’t it,everybody is aware of the importance and the good it does for the community,but they are on a list that is a mile long of immediate funding needs and unfortunately people prioritize things according to budget.

Thats kinda how you got to where you are,$40 here $40 there and next thing you know you are like Illinois where your first two paychecks for the month go straight towards taxes.

It would be wrong for people not to question where their tax dollars are being spent,it is their duty and right to do,it has nothing to do with race or what is being funded.

There are 2 major things on the table,transit and funding the museums,there is not an unlimited amount of funds available,people would demand accountability in transit funding just as they would demand accountability in museums,they are paying for it after all.

Even at that,it’s how it works,if you want $50 ask for $100 and negotiate from there,it’s how the process works.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

So now it's somehow a race issue to question why a museum [[One that isn't financially struggling) wants to more than quadruple their annual revenue on the backs of the taxpayers, some nearly 60 miles away? Please... Perhaps I should have focused more on the 17+ million per year that the Detroit Historical Museum is asking for. Then could I question this ridiculous money grab without bringing up what my ancestors may or may not have done 150 years ago?

It's not just $40, it's .4 mil per year on the taxable valuable of each home for the next two decades! In my community that's going to run around $80 on average with many paying much, much more. And since it's a millage that's not a fixed amount. Assuming property values increase at 5% annually [[They went up nearly 20% last year) we're looking at an average of $175 per year by the end of the term [[That's if they don't ask to extend it like the DIA did). That's over $2500 for one museum that no one in my family has ever been to, and another that I've been to twice in the last 40 years.

Again, I would fully support a millage of a reasonable amount for the Wright and the Detroit Historical Museum. Just as I would have supported a reasonable millage for the DIA and even the RTA. The issue is the amounts being asked for in this instance aren't even close to reasonable, and the past history of the DIA shows that the promises of these institutions can not be trusted. Once they get their hands in the cookie jar they never take them out!
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-17-22 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ...Everyone should become a member. It isn't that much, and it's a great place to visit.
    Agreed 100%

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Are there enough voting suburbanites who want to attend?

It can work, unless you have a racial mindset that the voting proposal will not work.

Again, I would fully support a millage of a reasonable amount for the Wright and the Detroit Historical Museum. Just as I would have supported a reasonable millage for the DIA and even the RTA. The issue is the amounts being asked for in this instance aren't even close to reasonable, and the past history of the DIA shows that the promises of these institutions can not be trusted. Once they get their hands in the cookie jar they never take them out!
    Even if the amounts were "reasonable", it comes down to ROI. What will I receive as a tax payer for my tax dollars? How will the community benefit? What issue will be solved or made better by this expenditure?

From my standpoint, neither of these museums seem to be in trouble. Neither are reportedly in danger of closing, and no major capital improvements have been pitched as uses fore the cash influx. So where is the real benefit here to anyone not drawing a paycheck for these organizations?

Whether it's $1 or $1,000 per year, taxpayers need to demand that their money is going to things that directly improve their community.

Even if the amounts were "reasonable", it comes down to ROI. What will I receive as a tax payer for my tax dollars? How will the community benefit? What issue will be solved or made better by this expenditure?

From my standpoint, neither of these museums seem to be in trouble. Neither are reportedly in danger of closing, and no major capital improvements have been pitched as uses fore the cash influx. So where is the real benefit here to anyone not drawing a paycheck for these organizations?

Whether it's $1 or $1,000 per year, taxpayers need to demand that their money is going to things that directly improve their community.
    I think your post illustrates the trouble these institutions face no matter how much they are asking for... people see no benefit to an expansion of educational institutions or programing. How will the community benefit? I think that question is pretty easy to answer but only if you value these institutions to begin with. I imagine that unlike the DIA, many people in the region [[like many here), have never been to either museum so naturally any ask is going to be too much.

It is merely speculation on my part but I believe the goal is to improve the experience of each institution while expanding facilities and I believe this is in concert with the Cultural Center Planning Initiative

https://www.midtownculturalconnections.com/

The issue is the amounts being asked for in this instance aren't even close to reasonable, and the past history of the DIA shows that the promises of these institutions can not be trusted. Once they get their hands in the cookie jar they never take them out!
    The DIA's behavior is particularly egregious. They asked for a relatively large millage ostensibly to build up an endowment so they could be self-sustaining. They ended up spending the "extra" money on building improvements, educational outreach programs, staff and executive bonuses and raises. THEN they asked for an extension to the millage, as they didn't build up enough of their endowment.

They were supposed to build the endowment, *then* spend it. However, once you get on that taxpayer money tap, it will just keep rolling in forever, so might as well spend it while you can.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast