Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Pine Knob is Back! Is the Corporate Naming Circus Finally Ending?

I have to say, in the last 20 years I have not been to Pine Knob often, but I'm proud to say that I never once called it DTE!

With this and the debacle that is Cobo > TCF > Huntington Place are we finally seeing the beginning of the end of the corporate naming sponsorship trend? I'm not so sure yet, but I hope so!

"Since 2001, the Pine Knob name had survived only in spirit at the venue rechristened DTE Energy Music Theatre, conjuring the old summer charm of loud and festive concert nights north of Detroit.
    Now, that classic name is headed back to the marquee: Pine Knob Music Theatre is again the official designation for the beloved Clarkston amphitheater, which routinely ranks among the top-grossing in the country. "

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...ts/9184916002/
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-14-22 at 08:57 AM.

I don't think any of us who attended concerts there early on deterred from the original name. Good to hear.
    Last edited by Maof; January-15-22 at 10:41 AM.

I never changed from Pine Knob. Just like Cobo Hall and Tiger Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I never changed from Pine Knob. Just like Cobo Hall and Tiger Stadium
    Really? Calling Comerica Park Tiger Stadium is a real insult to Tiger Stadium.

It is the stadium where the Tigers play; hence Tiger Stadium. I call Ford Field "the Lion's place"
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Really? Calling Comerica Park Tiger Stadium is a real insult to Tiger Stadium.

I went to what I believe was the first R&R show at Pine Knob - The James Gang on July 10, 1972. Traffic was backed up for miles. Management freaked out and closed the parking lot, so cars were parked everywhere, including the truck weigh stations on both sides of I-75. Attendees went in over the fences. Everyone thought it was Woodstock. In any event, a great show. Next show I attended, security was much more organized.

I'd love to see a poll of what people call the theater based on age. I feel like it's pretty universally referred to as DTE, but that could just be my age group.

I never called it [utility bill] DTE...... it was not summer if you did go see Eddie Money or when he was a staple. Anita Baker was good...

A quite memorable show seen was Paul Simon with Ladysmith Black Mambazo! Perfect summer evening. Though parking again was problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    With this and the debacle that is Cobo > TCF > Huntington Place are we finally seeing the beginning of the end of the corporate naming sponsorship trend? I'm not so sure yet, but I hope so!
    Not a chance. This was a good publicity move by UWM and I think they know naming it "UWM music theater" would have gone over worse than changing Staples Center to Crypto.com arena but naming rights are here to stay. What's worse is now they're following the European trend and putting them all over team uniforms, basketball courts, etc.

For some reason I thought it was a bigger name than The James Gang, but I'm pretty sure that was the show my boyfriend really wanted to go but he had just gotten his license and parents said no. It was a good thing too because there was a 2 or 3 hour traffic jam just to get in to the parking lot. It made the news that night.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I went to what I believe was the first R&R show at Pine Knob - The James Gang on July 10, 1972. Traffic was backed up for miles. Management freaked out and closed the parking lot, so cars were parked everywhere, including the truck weigh stations on both sides of I-75. Attendees went in over the fences. Everyone thought it was Woodstock. In any event, a great show. Next show I attended, security was much more organized.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    For some reason I thought it was a bigger name than The James Gang,....
    Pine Knob name returns: Vintage photos of venue formerly known as DTE Energy Music Theatre

Since its opening in 1972 — with an otherwise uneventful David Cassidy show — Pine Knob has hosted more than 3,100 nights of music, as estimated by venue operator 313 Presents.

Always called it Pine Knob. Meadowbrook had a 7 year jump start on Pine Knob. You can see in the earlier years they booked some rock acts and acts that likely would've played Pine Knob. But once Pine Knob opened MB focused more on pop/jazz/folk/classical. Pine Knob caught the bigger venue for rock explosion....and were great bookers and marketeers.
    https://theconcertdatabase.com/venues/meadow-brook

^ Yes! Meadow Brook! Saw Natalie Cole there - with a full orchestra. They used to have some grand fusion jazz events including Chick Corea, Roy Ayers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I'd love to see a poll of what people call the theater based on age. I feel like it's pretty universally referred to as DTE, but that could just be my age group.
    You must be a youngin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Yes! Meadow Brook! Saw Natalie Cole there - with a full orchestra.

Sounds unforgettable.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-15-22 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    It was the first rock concert there and because of the fiasco, they cancelled all remaining "hard rock" concerts for the rest of the season

Hopefully it stays that way. I much prefer places to have meaningful names, even if the meaningful name is followed up with "presented by".

"Joe Louis Arena" was an awesome name. I won't miss the venue that much as LCA is superior to JLA in so many ways. I'm also glad that valuable riverfront was freed up, but I'll always miss the JLA name.

Names are nothing but labels... and in the history of Detroit, they have always been that way.

The center of downtown Detroit went from Campus Martius for over 150 years to Kennedy Square, and now back to Campus Martius.

Even venues have had name changes. Music Hall was known as the Wilson Theatre from 1928-45, and then eventually to Music Hall.

The State Theatre started with that name in 1925, then in 1937 it changed to Palms-State, then in 1946 it changed to Palms, then in 1982 it changed back to State, then in 2007 it changed to Fillmore.

The 1922 built Capitol Theatre changed to Paramount in 1929, then to Broadway Capitol in 1934, then to Grand Circus in 1960, then to Detroit Opera House in 1996.

And of course then there is the more prominent change of Cobo Hall to Cobo Center to TCF Center to Huntington Place.

Before Tiger Stadium it was called Navin Field and Briggs Stadium.

Older people will just call it what they remember things nostalgically, while young people will use the only names they have ever known.
    Last edited by Gistok; January-16-22 at 09:21 AM.

Always called it Pine Knob.

In fact, if I ever had said DTE Gas Bill Theater, no one I know would have had any idea what I was talking about. They'd have to look it up.

First and last rock show I ever saw were there. First was Neil Young, and the last was late Summer 2019 when we had 2nd row center tickets for Bob Seger.

Great show. Great venue. Hope I get to see a great show like that again there one day.

^ You should have said "DTE Electric Bill Theatre". Because outside of Detroit and some western suburbs, most of metro Detroit has DTE as electric only, with gas service from Consumers Energy.

Here's the DTE Gas and/or Electric map...
    https://newlook.dteenergy.com/wps/wc...ng/service-map

That always seemed so redundant.

Department of Redundancy Department

The Firesign Theatre gets credit for naming this trope on their classic 1970 album "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers", the album where the trope name comes from.

At last, the knob is back.

Yep. I never even thought for a second hey I'm gonna patronize [[Corporation) because their name is on this arena/hall. Name sports venue after a famous player-Public spaces after the land or great leaders.