Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Judge Krot should cut Burhan Chowdhury's lawn

^ Increasingly, [especially in this COVID mode] we see elders healthy or not living in isolation. No one checking in on them, or tending to things they can no longer do. I don't know of this individuals circumstance[s] but sometime due to pride, or not wanting to be thought of as 'needy' some elders will self-isolate.

I hope that the man can get help, and or pay someone to help with his yard. Sometimes help is nearby. I think the judge was overly harsh in this case.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-22 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post

What a shame! Chowdhury's 33 year old kid couldn't mow his sick father's lawn, arrange for some kind of lawn service, or arrange to place him in assisted living. Kudos to Judge Krot. I wouldn't want that next door to me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ... Chowdhury's 33 year old kid couldn't mow his sick father's lawn, arrange for some kind of lawn service, or arrange to place him in assisted living.
    Agreed, but does the kid live here or in Washington?

Yep I hear that HT. It could be again that isolation set.

Not to mention you have whole families bound and torn-up simply at the behest of politics. Who knows....

What a shame! Chowdhury's 33 year old kid couldn't mow his sick father's lawn, arrange for some kind of lawn service, or arrange to place him in assisted living. Kudos to Judge Krot. I wouldn't want that next door to me either.

What does it matter? Parents aren't just for asking for money.

They were interviewing the son today on MPR, and also playing some of the court recordings.

Seems the son does live here, and does occasionally mow his dad's lawn, but he was out of the country at that time.

The father apparently only speaks a few words of English.

^ Hmm, if he left father unattended, with limited ability to communicate, etc. we have a WHOLE other issue going on here.

Far and beyond the visible evidences of the lawn neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Hmm, if he left father unattended, with limited ability to communicate, etc. we have a WHOLE other issue going on here.

Far and beyond the visible evidences of the lawn neglect.
    Not to mention this is all over a $100 fine from several months ago. I'd venture to guess there is a whole lot more information, and a whole lot more going on than what has gone viral. Usually is.

Actually, I would have to agree to Judge Knot on Chowdhury's lawn manicure problems. He has family and friends in Hamtramck that will cut his lawn. only he has to do is ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Actually, I would have to agree to Judge Knot on Chowdhury's lawn manicure problems. He has family and friends in Hamtramck that will cut his lawn. only he has to do is ask for help.
    I am thinking if they were that concerned they would have offered help,where is the community anymore.

Where I am at they would have sent a crew out,cleaned it up and put a lean in the property and collected when it was sold.

It appears to be overgrowth in the ally and not in the front in public view,who throws somebody in jail,costing taxpayers thousands of dollars over $100 of lawn fines,hell these days you can clear out an entire jewelry store and not go to jail.

Our CE runs as an independent agency governed by private individuals in order to stop the power control of some CE officers,at the hearing the last thing they do is threaten to throw people in jail and only then if is a major case of something that has been out of control for years,there are 100 different ways to go about this without a judge on a power trip over $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am thinking if they were that concerned they would have offered help,where is the community anymore.

Where I am at they would have sent a crew out,cleaned it up and put a lean in the property and collected when it was sold.

It appears to be overgrowth in the ally and not in the front in public view,who throws somebody in jail,costing taxpayers thousands of dollars over $100 of lawn fines,hell these days you can clear out an entire jewelry store and not go to jail.

Our CE runs as an independent agency governed by private individuals in order to stop the power control of some CE officers,at the hearing the last thing they do is threaten to throw people in jail and only then if is a major case of something that has been out of control for years,there are 100 different ways to go about this without a judge on a power trip over $100.

From the article "the grass and weeds grew out of control in front of and on the side of the house, Chowdhury said."
    I've gone through this twice with acquaintances. Once in the GP area called The Hill. Both times not only was it unsightly, but because of the overgrowth, critters moved in. Stray cats, and rats. Both times the surrounding neighbors had enough, got a petition together, for the Cities to address the issue. There are plenty of young men, and women, in Hamtramck. Knowing the situation with his family, he should have arranged for property upkeep knowing he would be gone for 3 months. Same thing with Winter snow removal and salting.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-13-22 at 01:09 PM.

Judge Berates 72 Year Old Cancer Patient Over $100 Lawn Ticket
    No one is saying the ticket wasn't deserved. It was how the judge handled it.

"And the clicks just keep on coming..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    ...The father apparently only speaks a few words of English.
    Evidently, Judge Krot lacks the wisdom of Solomon and even that of Curly Howard.

From the article "the grass and weeds grew out of control in front of and on the side of the house, Chowdhury said."
    I've gone through this twice with acquaintances. Once in the GP area called The Hill. Both times not only was it unsightly, but because of the overgrowth, critters moved in. Stray cats, and rats. Both times the surrounding neighbors had enough, got a petition together, for the Cities to address the issue. There are plenty of young men, and women, in Hamtramck. Knowing the situation with his family, he should have arranged for property upkeep knowing he would be gone for 3 months. Same thing with Winter snow removal and salting.
    Yes I understand all of that,I first read it when it popped up in my yahoo news feed,there it just mentioned weeds in the ally side and the son was in Bangladesh and had mowed it before leaving,they did not say how long ago etc.

I was surprised that they did not call it Detroit as usual and clearly reported it as in Hamtramck,but imagine if they threw everybody in jail in Detroit that had those same issues.

They can always go by coulda woulda shoulda but in the here and now and given the circumstances others also think that was probably not the best way to handle it,seems to be little compassion anymore.

They did not go into specifics on the son’s absence also,he could have unnecessary delays with Covid,or struggling to make some money and could not make it back,we do not really know the full story outside of what they want to tell us.

I know a lot of older generation that would never ask others for
    help,either to proud or it was viewed as a sign of weakness and unable to stand on ones own feet.

Critters are a good food source,a little rat sautéed with some fried rice ,yummy.

Some countries that would have been considered a fresh meat market in the back yard.
    Last edited by Richard; January-13-22 at 03:55 PM.

My two cents worth: 1. It’s unfortunate, but not surprising in this day and age, that one or two or a few of the neighbors couldn’t have pitched in to maintain the yard. Maybe check in to see what’s going on and why it’s suddenly neglected? As I recall, yards in Hamtramck are pretty small and the neighbors could have pitched in. 2. The article states that the property has since been cleaned up. Given that fact there’s no reason for the judge to have been such a callous bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    My two cents worth: 1. It’s unfortunate, but not surprising in this day and age, that one or two or a few of the neighbors couldn’t have pitched in to maintain the yard. Maybe check in to see what’s going on and why it’s suddenly neglected? As I recall, yards in Hamtramck are pretty small and the neighbors could have pitched in. 2. The article states that the property has since been cleaned up. Given that fact there’s no reason for the judge to have been such a callous bitch.
    I agree 100%.

Seems there is a petition.

I believe the judge’s reaction is inappropriate. Whole point of Administrative hearings are to hear both sides of the issue and work toward a solution. The judge may ask if there’s others, like friends and family that could help out, and discuss the financial feasibility of hiring a lawn care service to avoid fines. It’s important to use these hearings to Discuss progress on resolving the issue and then go over various options to achieve compliance. Yes, I agree no one should have to live next to an overgrown property that may be a sanitation risk. But if they were my neighbor, I’d check in on them and happily mow their grass.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The article states that the property has since been cleaned up. Given that fact there’s no reason for the judge to have been such a callous bitch.
    Even if the property wasn't cleaned up, the judge cannot loose her cool. Judges are supposed to be dispassionate and impartial. They sometimes do get angry, but it's usually reserved for lawyers trying to pull shenanigans. In other words, if you are a lawyer and a judge is yelling at you, that is them signaling to you that you really screwed up and have to tread lightly.

Berating an elderly cancer patient for not maintaining their lawn at an administrative hearing is beyond the pale. The defendant wasn't being rude, or disorderly, or disrespectful. There was absolutely no reason for her outburst. This judge does not have the temperament to be a judge.

Judge apologizes for berating elderly cancer patient over weeds...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...es/6598996001/

Man Threatened w/Arrest Over Weeds Gets Apology
    The question is: Is it enough?