Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Michigan SOS

Default Michigan SOS

Name:  garage.JPG
Views: 946
Size:  116.3 KB

Sent to the Michigan SOS to get a current sample license plate. Response came back, "Since you do not live in Michigan, we cannot fulfill your request for a Michigan Sample Plate. Sorry for the Inconvenience."

Hell, they even returned my check for ten bucks. Don't need it, I guess. Shall I send back the ones I already have?
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-10-22 at 08:00 PM.

^ Send the check to me Ray -- I'll hook you up. Which version do ya' wants?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Send the check to me Ray -- I'll hook you up. Which version do ya' wants?

Many thanks for the offer, but my son back in DTW will pick one up.

^ I was having fun! I too like old plates and have kept a few. I currently have the one with big Mac bridge with an orange sunset.

It's a bit worn but I'm going to keep it on my car yet a while longer!

Dude you're slipping. I don't see any 'x' plates up there. I know you know what an 'x' plate is/was even if nobody else here does.

Don't know much about the Michigan SOS. All I do know is it's about the worst place in the world WHEN you have to go there, and eventually you will.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Don't know much about the Michigan SOS. All I do know is it's about the worst place in the world WHEN you have to go there, and eventually you will.
    Well we finally can agree on something... They used to have smaller but many more locations. Now they have mega centers that can hold vast numbers of people [at least in the metro Detroit area] in much fewer locations, with 100 people in line ahead of you. Very much disliked going there...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Dude you're slipping. I don't see any 'x' plates up there. I know you know what an 'x' plate is/was even if nobody else here does.
    Municipal plates. I understand the "x" stood for Exempt; whether it did or not is open to debate. I had a few, but swapped them off some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well we finally can agree on something... They used to have smaller but many more locations. Now they have mega centers that can hold vast numbers of people [at least in the metro Detroit area] in much fewer locations, with 100 people in line ahead of you. Very much disliked going there...
    Yeah, it's the same here in the Las Vegas area. You can get an appointment, but if you get one for 1:00 p.m. they'll call your number about 3:30, if you're lucky. State government sux, be it here or there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Name:  garage.JPG
Views: 946
Size:  116.3 KB

Sent to the Michigan SOS to get a current sample license plate. Response came back, "Since you do not live in Michigan, we cannot fulfill your request for a Michigan Sample Plate. Sorry for the Inconvenience."

Hell, they even returned my check for ten bucks. Don't need it, I guess. Shall I send back the ones I already have?
    I thought that 1970 license plate with the beige color background is terrible at night when trying to get a plate number. I've always wondered if more hit and run drivers were able to get away that year without tickets even with someone trying to get a plate number simply because of the color issue. Weren't you in the DPD MTB in those days?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    I thought that 1970 license plate with the beige color background is terrible at night when trying to get a plate number. I've always wondered if more hit and run drivers were able to get away that year without tickets even with someone trying to get a plate number simply because of the color issue. Weren't you in the DPD MTB in those days?
    Yeah, was, but my eyeballs were 20-20 back then, even with that mis-matched color scheme. Then we had those white on black plates for five years that were as exciting as a checkers match. But at least you could read them from a block away.

Actually, Michigan's worse plate combination was 1931; red letters on a black background. Cooley High school colors, altho Cooley was still on the drawing board back then.

The famed "Black Plates" with white letters and numbers were my favorite. I believe they were issued in the late 70's early 80's. People in Texas hated to see cars with these Michigan plates because it was a recession here and people fled to Texas looking for jobs.

You can still get the famed Black Plates for historical cars of that era at the DMV. They added the old "Water-Winter Wonderland" retro plate for everyone. https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...3184--,00.html

Yeah, "Last one out of Michigan, please turn out the lights"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The famed "Black Plates" with white letters and numbers were my favorite. I believe they were issued in the late 70's early 80's. People in Texas hated to see cars with these Michigan plates because it was a recession here and people fled to Texas looking for jobs.

I just have to compliment the Michigan SOS for a recent change that makes life so much more convenient.

They used to send a big stack of paper every time you had to renew your tags or driver's license. It was mostly unnecessary information that showed the multitude of different plate styles and other options. If you wanted to be sure that it wasn't time to order a new plate, you had to sort through all that chaff.

Lately they've pared it down to one or two pages and a return envelope. It's so much simpler now.

Thanks SOS! Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post

I remember that saying very well....

Quote Originally Posted by SFDS View Post
    You can still get the famed Black Plates for historical cars of that era at the DMV. They added the old "Water-Winter Wonderland" retro plate for everyone. https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...3184--,00.html
    I have to say that new retro plate is gorgeous. I've seen one around town and it looks WAY better than the current plates. I do plan on getting one this year. My favorite MI plate though is the 1979 black with white lettering. Simple and classic.

My favorite Michigan license plate was the 1976 Bicentennial license plate...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Jennifer Granholm's campaign slogan and motto the entire time she was in office.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Jennifer Granholm's campaign slogan and motto the entire time she was in office.
    Knew it wouldn't be long before politics entered the fray, sheesh...
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-23-22 at 12:39 PM.