Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Roast Closes Permanently

Sure they've been hit hard with COVID, but also curious if the sale of the WBC impacted this.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...es/9150299002/

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Sure they've been hit hard with COVID, but also curious if the sale of the WBC impacted this.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...es/9150299002/
    it’s possible, new building owner, could be a new leasing contract, and not a favorable one, good time to exit if they weren’t profitable lately, it’s tough out there in the restaurant business. I’m sure the book tower will have a restaurant in it in time also.

I'm pretty amazed so many fine dining rest. have hung on as long as they have.

So much for a small potato restaurant. Indeed, blame COVID-19 for this mess. So Long Roast 2008-2022. At least Michael Symon still got some business ventures in his sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm pretty amazed so many fine dining rest. have hung on as long as they have.
    In my experience, reservations for mid/upper-end restaurants in the downtown/midtown area are difficult to come by unless you book multiple weeks out, and just about every one has been busy.

I think we've been out to such establishments half a dozen times or so over the last year?

Even today...went to a restaurant well-known for breakfast near my home after church. When we walked out, there was a wait for tables about 20 or so deep. This, despite all that is going on.

I'd also say this is almost certainly due to the new operator. Recent reviews look very favorable, so I have to imagine it was doing a decent business [[despite the obvious). Perhaps the new operator has a different concept in mind.

Also, the downtown dining scene looks NOTHING like it did in 2008. A lot more competition now.

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    In my experience, reservations for mid/upper-end restaurants in the downtown/midtown area are difficult to come by unless you book multiple weeks out, and just about every one has been busy.

I think we've been out to such establishments half a dozen times or so over the last year?

Even today...went to a restaurant well-known for breakfast near my home after church. When we walked out, there was a wait for tables about 20 or so deep. This, despite all that is going on.
    Certainly a lot different than here in Ontario, where we're again under lockdown and no indoor dining is permitted. Downtown Toronto has been hit really hard by the combination of loss of office workers in the corporate towers and many young people moving out of the core and back to their parent's homes in the burbs, at least temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    it’s possible, new building owner, could be a new leasing contract, and not a favorable one, good time to exit if they weren’t profitable lately, it’s tough out there in the restaurant business. I’m sure the book tower will have a restaurant in it in time also.
    From what I remember from my walkthrough of the construction site, the Book Tower will have a Japanese steakhouse in the basement, a French restaurant on the first floor, and some kind of bar or bistro on the first floor as well.

Covid is going to be around for a while. It may never leave.

Until I spotted this thread I was going to post about it under the heading 'Roast is Toast'. I ate there only once and was underwhelmed. Still it is sad to see it go. I hope and expect the space will be jumped on.

Hah! And some are praying it will never leave for the short-term perceived benefit of what they can Trojan Horse into its existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Covid is going to be around for a while. It may never leave.

how good was the food? I never got to visit.

^ See yelp.com reviews -- of course taking into account some people complain about everything wherever they go!

The food was good, although I heard the quality slipped during the pandemic. They had a great happy hour menu, especially the burger.

They didn't give employees any heads up according to this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Detroit/com..._westin_tells/

I'd never been there despite staying at the Westin a couple times. Guess I always look outside the hotel lobby, assuming the better quality/better value food is around the corner. I liked the bar upstairs there, though. Great room.

Quote Originally Posted by easycomeeasygo View Post
    They didn't give employees any heads up according to this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Detroit/com..._westin_tells/
    And people are scratching their heads as to why its so hard to hire people in this industry.

I'd imagine they had a good business when conventions were in town. Everything considered this was probably due to multiple factors, a "straw that broke the camels back" scenario.

I tend to avoid restaurants that are in Hotels as a general rule as most of them skate by on their captive audience of people too tired/lazy/intimidated to walk out the front door of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    And people are scratching their heads as to why its so hard to hire people in this industry.
    Good point.

Just as job security can be a perquisite, job insecurity deserves additional compensation of some other kind.

This is why some contractors are so highly paid. It's in exchange for having no job security.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how good was the food? I never got to visit.
    Dined at Roast several times before the pandemic. It was excellent each time. It was one of those places that was expensive but you left with the feeling that the food and experience were worth the $$. Another positive: Black folks seemed to patronize the place more than at other higher end downtown restaurants. Not sure why. Mr. Symon has been closing more than a few of his restaurants including his famed Lola in Cleveland. I wasn't a "regular" at Roast but I will miss the place. Healthy urban cities need ambitious places like this restaurant. New Book-Cadillac owners have their work cut out to find a comparable replacement.

Agreed. I had quite a few spectacular meals there and will miss it. I was there last for my birthday in September 2021 and the menu was much smaller than it had been previously but the food was still great. It was maybe half full, tables were very spaced out, and that was during a much lower pandemic caseload than the past couple of months.

My daughter had to have her steak taken off the bill. She said it was way too salty. The waiter said he was sorry. The offered to let her take it home but she said no.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcf1949 View Post
    My daughter had to have her steak taken off the bill. She said it was way too salty. The waiter said he was sorry. The offered to let her take it home but she said no.
    So was she dining alone or if not what did the other diner[[s) have to say? Not a big deal to send something back.