Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City Council Question.

Now that Council President Brenda Jones had not sought for reelection and stepped down who had taken her place and became the President of the City Council?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Now that Council President Brenda Jones had not sought for reelection and stepped down who had taken her place and became the President of the City Council?
    Probably one of the first orders of business when they get back to work today will be to elect a new president, assuming there are no surprise arrests first.

“They” is the people of the city that makes that choice.

In the District 4 seat, at least four people have already declared their intention to run. That includes
    Toson Knight, M.L. Elrick, and Virgil Smith

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/det...for-reelection

I think that would be on y’all to decide,before somebody decides for you.

They said 4 people but only listed 3,could be a typo but how could a professional organization that hires professionals to edit have a typo?

There are 4 vacant seats,Talib was hard on her and tried to get her ousted last time,makes one wonder if she is positioning somebody in the background in order to gain more control.

I take that back,it is on today’s agenda for “them” to appoint a new leader.

https://detroitmi.gov/events/detroit...-4-2022-1000am

live as of 10 am

http://video.detroitmi.gov/Cablecast...ch/6?channel=1
    Last edited by Richard; January-04-22 at 10:12 AM.

There is usually a President Pro Tem who steps in; in this case it's Mary Sheffield.
    https://detroitmi.gov/government/city-council

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    “They” is the people of the city that makes that choice.

In the District 4 seat, at least four people have already declared their intention to run. That includes
    Toson Knight, M.L. Elrick, and Virgil Smith

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/det...for-reelection

I think that would be on y’all to decide,before somebody decides for you.

They said 4 people but only listed 3,could be a typo but how could a professional organization that hires professionals to edit have a typo?

There are 4 vacant seats,Talib was hard on her and tried to get her ousted last time,makes one wonder if she is positioning somebody in the background in order to gain more control.

I take that back,it is on today’s agenda for “them” to appoint a new leader.

https://detroitmi.gov/events/detroit...-4-2022-1000am

live as of 10 am

http://video.detroitmi.gov/Cablecast...ch/6?channel=1
    Another long post to say what I just said.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    There is usually a President Pro Tem who steps in; in this case it's Mary Sheffield.
    https://detroitmi.gov/government/city-council
    It was Sheffield 7
    Waters 2

Pretty cool that you can vote for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Did you watch it,they were even confused,and they are running the city,so quit your whining.
    Last edited by Richard; January-04-22 at 10:33 AM.

He is paid by the word.

Did you watch it,they were even confused,and they are running the city,so quit your whining.
    What do you call it when you post 50+ paragraphs in one post that nobody reads? We call that Whining with a capital "W".

And speaking of whining... when are you going to figure out that there is always a SPACE after a comma. Is that too much to ask? [Whine ended]

No wait... most of us don't read it anyway... nevermind!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    What do you call it when you post 50+ paragraphs in one post that nobody reads? We call that Whining with a capital "W".

And speaking of whining... when are you going to figure out that there is always a SPACE after a comma. Is that too much to ask? [Whine ended]

No wait... most of us don't read it anyway... nevermind!
    lol funny guy

what do you call it when somebody says they do not read my posts but continues to pick them apart like a buzzard on road kill?

When you said you were highly educated in logic,it makes me wonder who defined “highly educated “ for you,are you sure they just did not give you a piece of paper just to get rid of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    What do you call it when you post 50+ paragraphs in one post that nobody reads?
    Brevity is to wit
    AS
    Bloviation is to _______?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Brevity is to wit
    AS
    Bloviation is to _______?
    While others are brief in posting things that have zero relevance and still seek a participation trophy.

It also appears that some seek recognition off of others backs,because they are a failure within and cannot think of anything productive to say.

So they just say anything in the hopes of being recognized,it has the appearance of being overly needy.

You can teach a monkey to copy and paste most of this stuff,no disrespect to the monkeys,because even they are capable of some sort of thought process.
    Last edited by Richard; January-04-22 at 10:02 PM.

Mary Sheffield will be an interesting president.

More interesting than anything a certain Richard might write. Poor guy, thinks he has something to say that others want to read.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Mary Sheffield will be an interesting president.

More interesting than anything a certain Richard might write. Poor guy, thinks he has something to say that others want to read.
    You must have read it otherwise you would not have commented on it.

What policy’s does Mary Sheffield support that would help make the city a better place and causes you to support her ?

As long as we are discussing hypotheticals.

Detroits city charter like many other cities,dictates that the president is voted in by the existing council members,personally I think that decision should be made by the voters because final decisions should be made representative of the majority.

If you truly believe Mary Sheffield would have been a better candidate,for good reason there may be others like minded as a majority,so if she was in place it would be because a majority of the citizens wanted her there to represent them.

But you guys can always have the charter modified,if not you get stuck with who you get stuck with,with little say in the matter.

I have seen in the past when it comes down to a tie breaker where the president has the final vote,they have a tendency to vote towards what their district wants,verses the city as a whole,which the president should really represent.

It may be my screwed up way of thinking,but I think anytime somebody reaches a position in the top levels of city government their representation becomes of the entire city as a whole,with no incentive to just lean towards a certain district,because it removes the incentive to narrow focus on retaining power within that district after the term is up.

In this case,the one who they choose received 7 votes while the other one 2 and one of those 2,was their own vote.

Why do you think there was such an overwhelming choice in the council ?

You do not have to radically change a system of government in order to gain equal representation within a city,the city charter gives you the ability to modify it or tweak it in order to obtain the goal of equal representation.

But you are right,clearly everybody is happy with things as they are,so no point in reading my posts,no need to change anything.

Worst case scenario,wash rinse repeat seems to be working out pretty good.
    Last edited by Richard; January-08-22 at 02:53 AM.

Looking forward to seeing more of her media / fashion model poses.

Name:  Mary Sheffield II.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  13.9 KB
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-08-22 at 05:46 AM.

Horace Sheffield is probably in glee that his daughter is President of City Council

^ is this the same guy?

https://deadlinedetroit.com/articles...ver_cell_phone

If so I guess one would be scared not to vote,they would probably end up with their political career destroyed,wash rinse repeat.

we'll see how this evolves, whether they have vigorous proposals to center longtime, more vulnerable residents, or center 'nuDetroiterz'.

Yep. As a native Detroiter I recall the whole mess in real time. Also known as 'good times'! NOT.

^ is this the same guy?

If so I guess one would be scared not to vote,they would probably end up with their political career destroyed,wash rinse repeat.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-22 at 06:20 AM.

You have to consider the source...

^ is this the same guy?

Yep. Mary Sheffield would be another disaster on council especially as President if most of her decisions are influenced by this guy. I listened to his radio show where he once bragged that his "baby" will run for Mayor. It struck me that he was running the show. She would be smart to distance herself from him politically completely and heed to good sound advisors