Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Metro Detroit-Windsor 2022 Predictions

Prediction threads have been New Year's staples on DYes for 10 years at this point, and this year is no exception. Simply put, here's some predictions that we can revisit in 2023.

Previous prediction threads:

My top ten:
    1. Despite various attempts to curb the outbreak, COVID cases continue climbing unscathed.
    2. Due to continually high case numbers, the Auto Show remains in Pontiac for a second straight year as a scaled-down event.
    3. A heated race for governor somehow still results in a second term for Whitmer.
    4. With financial backing from the EPA, efforts get underway for the construction of a new park on the Uniroyal Site.
    5. RTA support continues increasing across Wayne, Oakland and Washtenaw Counties.
    6. More developments are announced in Midtown, with a few in New Center for good measure.
    7. Another national chain retailer announces a new store in Midtown.
    8. Monroe Blocks development is further delayed.
    9. No development is announced for the Fail Jail site.
    10. Pistons finish with one of the worst records in the NBA, Wings return to the playoffs, Tigers somehow return to the playoffs, Lions rebuild continues, and the Panthers win the new USFL's first championship.

Add your predictions!

My predictions for 2022

1. At least one suburban shopping mall announces its closure
    2. At least one new Amazon warehouse announces its construction
    3. City of Detroit continues to decline in population, now in its seventh consecutive decade of population loss.
    4. Subdivision construction continues unabated in the far extremities of the metro region
    5. Little to no progress on regional transit
    6. Little to no progress on the development of EV charging infrastructure
    7. Ford and GM struggle to meet sales targets, partly due to ongoing chip shortages
    8. Dan Gilbert continues to amass land along the east riverfront but no definitive development plans are announced
    9. Monroe block and Fail Jail site will continue to sit empty with no new plans announced
    10. Hudson block tower is topped off near the end of the year

'Despite various attempts to curb the outbreak, COVID cases continue climbing unscathed.'

Yes, there will be a roller coaster rides of COVID-19 cases and more mutant variants that might escape vaccinations.

'Due to continually high case numbers, the Auto Show remains in Pontiac for a second straight year as a scaled-down event.'

Yes, that will likely happen, this will be another devastating blow to N.A.I.A.S. Blame COVID-19 for this mess.

'A heated race for governor somehow still results in a second term for Whitmer.'

Of course, she will win. She did an incredible job keeping COVID-19 numbers down before the vaccines.

'With financial backing from the EPA, efforts get underway for the construction of a new park on the Uniroyal Site.'

Not yet, give it a few years.

'RTA support continues increasing across Wayne, Oakland and Washtenaw Counties.'

Not going to happen. Folks living in northern Macomb and Oakland County areas are not going to pay taxes a proposed regional transit system that is not coming to their towns. Even City of Livonia in NW Wayne County still opt out of the RTA.

'More developments are announced in Midtown, with a few in New Center for good measure.'

Yes, and it will slowly gaining developmental strength.

'Another national chain retailer announces a new store in Midtown.'

Give it few years... 2022 is not a good year for another national retailer. due to COVID-19 problems. However, Target might come to SOMA Development Zone possibly by the mid 2023.

Monroe Blocks development is further delayed.

You are correct. Unless Gilbert and his Team Rocket go out and find investors and tell them Detroit is a great place to live and work. Detroit is not a just a one black ghetto city, it has a rich history and its ready to comeback like a might phoenix rising from its ashes.

'No development is announced for the Fail Jail site.'

Of course, Gilbert has to find investors first. Before he and his corps. will make an announcement. It will many years away.

'Pistons finish with one of the worst records in the NBA, Wings return to the playoffs, Tigers somehow return to the playoffs, Lions rebuild continues, and the Panthers win the new USFL's first championship.'

Yes, Pistons will not make the playoffs as long as they ball hogging. Cade is staying probably for one more year. If he does not see the Pistons win games, he will leave to play with another team that can win games. Wings will not make the playoffs long as their new goalie can learn how save pucks and get their offense hustling. Lions will lose a lot and win a few with Goff Goofed his plays. Maybe the Ford Family will sell the team. The Panthers may not win its first USFL Championship.

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    My predictions for 2022

1. At least one suburban shopping mall announces its closure

Eastland Mall already close, Westland Mall is next. And Fairlane Town Center along with Lakeside Mall later!

2. At least one new Amazon warehouse announces its construction

It's already being built in the Fairgrounds; Novi may get an Amazon center soon.
    3. City of Detroit continues to decline in population, now in its seventh consecutive decade of population loss.

Yes, poor black folks are hitting 8 Mile Rd. or heading to 'Hot-lanta'. Some Hispanics are hitting downriver cities. However more young white millennials are filling up inner city areas that was once filled with dead [[c)krak heads.

4. Subdivision construction continues unabated in the far extremities of the metro region

It's growing quickly at inner city areas in Detroit and some in the suburbs.

5. Little to no progress on regional transit

Yes, D-DOT and SMART buses are changing routes, increasing and decreasing time schedules. Some drivers don't feel like working or some sick with COVID-19 and both transportation companies are trying their best to hire new drivers. Forget about the RTA is DEAD on arrival.
    6. Little to no progress on the development of EV charging infrastructure

That's right, unless we get some international investors to assist with electronic resources. GM is catching up in the EV market while Ford and Stellantis is struggling with EV production with a backlog of orders. In the meantime, Tesla is in the lead with its EV car market, but the problem with their EV cars is that they break down fast!
    7. Ford and GM struggle to meet sales targets, partly due to ongoing chip shortages

Blame COVID for this mess, they must prepare for this tribulation. instead, they are enjoying making sales, profits and prosperity.

8. Dan Gilbert continues to amass land along the east riverfront but no definitive development plans are announced

Gilbert is in buying every last ghetto hood of Detroit and make it his personal Disneyland. When it comes to development, he will leave his capital on ice until his Team Rocket group to be created to lure regional investors to Detroit.
    9. Monroe block and Fail Jail site will continue to sit empty with no new plans announced

Yes, until Gilbert gets some investors
    10. Hudson block tower is topped off near the end of the year
    By the end of 2022, The Hudson Block Building will have half the glass windows in.
    Last edited by Danny; December-31-21 at 07:07 PM.

My predictions:
    1- The 375 to Boulevard project will be accelerated, and basically become official. Not constructed in 2022, but announced construction will begin in ~2024.
    2- Plans progress on New Center Amtrak station. More frequent Amtrak service to Chicago announced.
    3- The United Artist Bldg renovation actually begins, but the theatre is demolished for a surface lot.
    4- Gilbert buys the Penobscot.
    5- The Pontch hotel closes again.
    6- An office tower south of Michigan Ave. closes to be redeveloped, with the intention of it being converted to residential use.
    7- Illitches propose major Comerica Park renovation, with the hope of getting tax/government funding to essentially pay for it.
    8- Frank Murphy justice complex closes. Nothing else happens with fail jail site.
    9- Huntington Bank merges with another national bank. DYes jokes about whether convention center will be renamed again.
    10- New 10to15 story residential tower proposed in Corktown.

In December 2022, the Census Bureau will release a July 1, 2022 population estimate for the city of Detroit. This number will influence the distribution of $1.5 trillion annually to states and local governments. I predict that the Census Bureau's July 1, 2022 estimate will be a larger number than the official April 1, 2020 count of 639,111.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    In December 2022, the Census Bureau will release a July 1, 2022 population estimate for the city of Detroit.
    Of more importance to genealogists [[such as I), on March 1, 2022, the Census people will release the details of the 1950 U. S. Census report. Census reports are kept confidential for 72 years by law. I found my place on the census ten years ago for the 1940 report [[was in Grand Rapids, MI, at 3 years old!). I'll look for me in the 1950 report, available this year, living on Steel Avenue with my family and grandparents.

CAVEAT: It won't be immediately available; it will take some months to be transcribed from the census sheets to the computer database. Sorry.

Richard has not chimed in yet on this thread but here is one
    he made in about December 2020. 2022 is a little early but
    we should be seeing some hints that the prediction is coming
    true if it indeed does.

I give Detroit another 3 to 4 years max before it becomes fully progressive,and like they are telling you now,there will be no room for those who oppose,at any cost.

ENDQUOTE

My predictions:

1. It will rain on some days.

2. It will snow on some days.

3. This time next year, I will be the only one who has been 100% accurate.

1. All major league Detroit sports teams will see improved records.

2. The Tigers and Red Wings will squeak into playoffs and be quickly eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    1. All major league Detroit sports teams will see improved records.

2. The Tigers and Red Wings will squeak into playoffs and be quickly eliminated.
    If you mean improved season record it's going to be pretty much impossible for the Pistons to have a better 2022 record than 2021.

My predictions:
    1- The 375 to Boulevard project will be accelerated, and basically become official. Not constructed in 2022, but announced construction will begin in ~2024.

After that then The 375 to Boulevard project will be finished 2027. By 2040 As Gilbert Town Detroit develops, along comes the traffic jams.

2- Plans progress on New Center Amtrak station. More frequent Amtrak service to Chicago announced.

Yes, and it will nicer than the Dearborn Amtrak Train Station.

3- The United Artist Bldg renovation actually begins, but the theatre is demolished for a surface lot.

Nah! The Illitch's will leave that building as a 'Pathenon-like ruins' And after the family 'pizza pizza' company 2025 demolish the building, they turn it the gentrified super condos. The Illitch's are not in real estate business, they are in the entertainment business.

4- Gilbert buys the Penobscot.

It's possible but not this in the year 2022, but 2025. And He will fix up it up. Turn it into office space along with hotels, lofts, apts. and condos.

5- The Pontch hotel closes again.

Not going to happen. The investors still got plans in their sleeves. Besides the Pontchartrain Hotel has a rich history. It came a long away from corner of Cadillac Square and Woodward Ave.

6- An office tower south of Michigan Ave. closes to be redeveloped, with the intention of it being converted to residential use.

Maybe not in the 2022 but after 2026.

7- Illitches propose major Comerica Park renovation, with the hope of getting tax/government funding to essentially pay for it.

Umm! Detroit and Wayne County owns the stadium. Ilitch's owns the Tigers. The 'pizza pizza' family might want to negotiate with Comerica Bank first before any rehabs to any cracked concrete and rusty steel girders to be fixed. But it's not going to be in the year 2022. But by the late 2020's if there are any sudden collapses.

8- Frank Murphy justice complex closes. Nothing else happens with fail jail site.

No, they will stay open for years to come.

9- Huntington Bank merges with another national bank. DYes jokes
    about whether convention center will be renamed again.

They already merged with TCF and DOW Chemical Bank. I will be so surprised if First Independence Bank joins in.

10- New 10to15 story residential tower proposed in Corktown.

For sure, there will be more gentrified mega lofts and super condos in Corktown and by 2040 that area will look like a super hipster party town that many traditional Irish families can't deal with the high property values and rising rents that they will leave. Southwest Detroit and C.O.R.E. City hoods are next.
    Last edited by Danny; January-05-22 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Umm! the bank owns the stadium. Ilitch's owns the Tigers. The 'pizza pizza' family might want to negotiate with Comerica Bank first before any rehabs to any cracked concrete and rusty steel girders to be fixed. But it's not going to be in the year 2022. But by the late 2020's if there are any sudden collapses.
    Actually the city & Wayne County own the stadium. Teams or banks do not want to own stadiums. They don't want to pay the property taxes or be stuck with the cost of demolishing them. The Tigers do plan some minor renovations, including moving the center field fence in.

I'm going to make only one 2022 prediction...

The United Artists Building project will fall thru, and the mothballing of the building/theatre will continue for at least another year... and here's why...

The Emmett Moten Jr. group were responsible for tearing down the beautiful 107 year old 3 story Saturday Night Building downtown... to get those coveted 40 surface parking spots. Moten et al want to develop the United Artists Building... and do so including tearing the theatre portion down for probably another 40 parking spaces. They claimed due to the increased costs in building materials and labor, their initial plans are on hold, and now they are looking for additional $6 million in public funding. But due to the fact that the Ilitches are involved, and likely covet those additional parking spaces... City Council will say nooooo...

[P.S. I'm a realist... and my prediction is a fools errand... the city will likely give in and toss more public money to a project that needs it due to prior Ilitch negligence... and the "Jewel Box" of historic downtown theatres will likely get pounded to rubble... as the Ilitches intended.]

Check out the near twin recently restored Los Angeles United Artists. No wonder the Detroit UA was called "the Jewel Box".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting G. I was not aware of the Saturday Night Building in Detroit. Did a google search and it looks like CurbedDetroit had an article but their entire site is down. Photos from the freep did not come up. Found general photos from an image search. Looks like it was a solid building....

https://www.google.com/search?source...&bih=533&dpr=1

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Interesting G. I was not aware of the Saturday Night Building in Detroit. Did a google search and it looks like CurbedDetroit had an article but their entire site is down. Photos from the freep did not come up. Found general photos from an image search. Looks like it was a solid building....

Yes Zacha341... it was a perfectly sound building that would only have needed a simple remodeling to make it marketable. But Emmett Moten Jr. et al... wanted the 40 parking spaces instead...

^ Yeah, like one of those lots that zoom up their prices from 5 to 20+ dollars for two hours depending on the downtown event.

Great............

^ Yeah, like one of those lots that zoom up their prices from 5 to 20+ dollars for two hours depending on the downtown event.

Great............
    Hotels do it too. "Make hay while the sun shines."

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes Zacha341... it was a perfectly sound building that would only have needed a simple remodeling to make it marketable. But Emmett Moten Jr. et al... wanted the 40 parking spaces instead...
    I lived in the Fort Shelby tower at the time. The worst part was that these spots don't fundamentally improve the value of the building for residents, which was Moten's argument...all building residents have access to the valet parking from the hotel side, so it's not like we even had to retrieve our own car!

What a heartbreak...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I apologize for continuing the threadjack, but the actual # of additional parking spaces the building's demolition generated was 12, not 40.

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...parking-spaces.

I would like to make a last-ditch appeal to the Ilitches to save the theater. If they really want to make a dynamic, unique, one-of-a-kind, mixed-use District, bring the theater back and make into an 'art house' featuring foreign and independent films. I don’t think any of these manufactured stadium districts could offer entertainment options the likes of the Fox, Fillmore, and restored United Artists.

There is already great momentum with the announcement of U of M Innovation District. Instead of repeating the stale demolition thing with Demo Czar Emmitt Moten, a restored United Artist Theater would generate so much more buzz and interest and good press to the District Detroit. I think architecture lovers, and lovers of cities, would come to Detroit just to see a restored United Artists Theater.

Supposedly, Chris Ilitch offered a $275 Million contract to Carlos Correa, who rejected it. They ended up giving $144 million to Javier Baez, so they have some extra funds laying around!

Why is this building being allowed to be razed if it's historical? I always had said "Follow the money". A contractor probably get the job to raze this structure just for a measly couple of thousands of dollars instead of saving this building and redevelop it. Many historical buildings were razed in the downtown area probably illegally only making ways for parking lots. Are some of these demolition companies owners giving kickbacks?

Economics! It may be possible that the current best use for a piece of land is as a parking lot. In the future, if Detroit is truly coming back, the owner of the land can easily sell lt to an entity which wishes to build condos or an office building. Until then, it is taxed as a parking lot and earns money with little required maintenance.