Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default State Senate and House Redistricting Maps Released

The maps are also in for the new State House and Senate districts. A lot to absorb here.

Michigan's redistricting commission approved new state legislative districts Tuesday that could shape the balance of political power in Lansing for years to come.

For the state Senate, the commission voted for its “Linden” map, with nine commissioners backing the new map. Two Republicans, two Democrats and five independent commissioners voted in favor of the plan. Republican commissioners Rhonda Lange and Erin Wagner and Democratic commissioners Brittni Kellom and Juanita Curry favored different plans.

For the state House, the commission voted for its “Hickory” map, with 11 commissioners supporting the plan. Lange and Wagner preferred a different plan.
    https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...747629_1346041
    Name:  MI-Sentate-House-2020-districts.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  76.0 KB

Maps for Metro D with links to where you can zoom in.
    State House approved "Hickory" Map
    View Map
    Name:  MI-House-Metro-D.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  114.2 KB

State Senate approved "Linden" Map
    View Map
    Name:  MI-Senate-Metro-D.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  121.8 KB

Some of it's OK, but I see odd stuff.

Think it is cool that in the Hickory map, the 8th district runs along John R. As that as always been one of my favorite streets in Detroit, I'm glad to see it claim its own district.

There are quite a few organizations and individuals developing statistical assessments of the redrawn districts in Michigan and elsewhere. Using past voting trends at the precinct level, they can predict whether a newly created district is highly like to be won by Republicans or by Democrats or whether is is a "jump ball" district. That is, a district where both parties will have to campaign vigorously to win with neither party having much of
    an advantage. Yesterday's NY Times included a story based on work done at the Brennan Center for Justice. They conclude that most of the new
    districts in Michigan are really "jump ball" district.
    b
    I can fully understand why both parties in Michigan feel they have been
    treated poorly and talking about filing suits. However, it seems to me
    the voters benefit and gerrymandering is minimized if the commission has
    turned Michigan into a "jump ball" state in terms of electoral district.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/29/u...sultPosition=1

Black Michigan Lawmakers File Lawsuit Over Redistricting That 'Violates Voting Rights Act'

The lawmakers say the maps approved by a state commission last week dilute the voting power of Black voters, especially in the districts that divide Detroit.

https://www.newsweek.com/black-michi...ts-act-1665117

Thoughts?

Looks like in the state senate elections [[based on summing AP numbers), 50.4% of the total vote statewide went to the Democratic candidate, 49.0% went to the Republican, and 0.6% went to other. This resulted in Democrats getting 20 [[52.6%) of the 38 senate seats and Republicans getting 18 [[47.4%).

In the state legislature elections, the Democratic candidates got 50.3% of the total vote, the Republicans got 49.5% of the vote, and other got 0.2%. This resulted in Democrats getting 56 [[50.9%) of 110 seats and Republicans getting 54 [[49.1%).

So, Democrats may have gotten a slight edge in these new districts.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    Looks like in the state senate elections [[based on summing AP numbers), 50.4% of the total vote statewide went to the Democratic candidate, 49.0% went to the Republican, and 0.6% went to other. This resulted in Democrats getting 20 [[52.6%) of the 38 senate seats and Republicans getting 18 [[47.4%).

In the state legislature elections, the Democratic candidates got 50.3% of the total vote, the Republicans got 49.5% of the vote, and other got 0.2%. This resulted in Democrats getting 56 [[50.9%) of 110 seats and Republicans getting 54 [[49.1%).

So, Democrats may have gotten a slight edge in these new districts.
    Wow!! Very close! Question: since the numbers are so tight, does that mean redistricting worked? I'm genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    Wow!! Very close! Question: since the numbers are so tight, does that mean redistricting worked? I'm genuinely curious.
    I guess you'd have to compare the results to other polls to answer that. From what I've heard, Michigan has been pretty close to 50/50 between the parties in polls. Maybe the big winners here are independents?

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    Redistricting finally got Michigan to a spot where the party that won the majority of votes also won power. That's how government should work. You will never get exactly proportional representation but this is about as close as it gets.

Now if only we could get ranked choice in this state we'd be in business!

How did dems only get 50.4% of the total vote when Gretchen won by over ten points? That many people really voted for Whitmer and then decided to go republican down ballot?? Or they just didn't vote below?

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Redistricting finally got Michigan to a spot where the party that won the majority of votes also won power. That's how government should work....
    As opposed to whoever is best at gaming the system wins the power. Gaming the system does not produce a "government of the people, by the people, for the people." {Gettysburg Address}