Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Happy Holidays for a Million Amazon Workers

I'm so happy to learn that Bezos will no longer stand in the way of unionization. My conscience will be clear when ordering from Amazon. I just hope those workers don't choose the corruption-friendly UAW or Teamsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    I'm so happy to learn that Bezos will no longer stand in the way of unionization. My conscience will be clear when ordering from Amazon. I just hope those workers don't choose the corruption-friendly UAW or Teamsters.
    Ah yes this definitely has to do with detroit

What other choices do they have?

We are a huge Union town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Ah yes this definitely has to do with detroit
    Last edited by jcole; December-25-21 at 12:38 PM.

Unionization isn't going to change much there. if anything, it will be bringing far more automation into the process. It may mean a less stressful workplace for the people that remain, though.

The UAW has largely been purged of the bad actors, hopefully. It would be a good choice for the Amazon workers, although they may go with other entities, or create their own.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati_kid View Post
    what other choices do they have?
    seiu

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Unionization isn't going to change much there. if anything, it will be bringing far more automation into the process. It may mean a less stressful workplace for the people that remain, though.

The UAW has largely been purged of the bad actors, hopefully. It would be a good choice for the Amazon workers, although they may go with other entities, or create their own.
    I don't see a shortage of openings for people who want to work there for the foreseeable future.

When Bezos make billions. Its workers make pennies.

Go unions go! Screw Scamazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    What other choices do they have?
    Among non-public-sector unions, there may be some that aren't corrupt. Which ones though? Perhaps SEIU?

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Go unions go! Screw Scamazon.
    Receiving fair pay for work isn't the same as screwing the corporation. Maybe Bezos will have to settle for fewer trips into space.

Receiving fair pay for work isn't the same as screwing the corporation. Maybe Bezos will have to settle for fewer trips into space.
    Oh I know, but still, Amazon can die in a fire.

What's with all the hate for Amazon? What am I missing?

I can order some obscure part, and the part arrives in 1-2 days with free shipping, and I didn't have to drive anywhere, or even put on pants. AMAZING !

That said, anything that big and that transformative will have a few dirty secrets, but most Amazon employees are glad for their jobs.

Amazon hires people into their first ever jobs at $15 an hour or more, plus a sign-on bonus, and college tuition, and health care, 401k, employee discounts, paid time off, etc.

What Amazon evil am I missing?

[Well, I wish they would ship using less cardboard, or have Amazon trucks pick up all this cardboard. Seems like an awful lot of trees are racing into landfills].
    Last edited by Rocket; December-26-21 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    What's with all the hate for Amazon?

What Amazon evil am I missing?
    I found this video worth the watch. Their facial recognition software, DOD and DC sphere of influence and overall cache of personal data. The large tech companies now are able to accurately predict your death.
    https://youtu.be/RVVfJVj5z8s
    Last edited by hybridy; December-26-21 at 08:27 PM.

Hah! I find mine is a bit of love and hate. Goodness you know you need that item fast and you get it. Love that! But sometimes they ship a very small item in a huge box [waste of resources]. And I understand the turnover is high - due to the ultra fast-paced workplace. Sure they pay ok for some of their positions, but it's not a long term job.

I try to purchase locally or small online businesses to cut down on Ammy shopping. Only to find for example that some eBay sellers are drop-shippers selling the same things on Amazon [dead giveaway is the item comes in Ammy white and blue packaging]...ok.......

What's with all the hate for Amazon? What am I missing?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-27-21 at 08:18 AM.

[Well, I wish they would ship using less cardboard, or have Amazon trucks pick up all this cardboard. Seems like an awful lot of trees are racing into landfills].
    You're worried about the trees going into landfills? A third of everything returned to them ends up in landfills. It's the biggest waste company in the history of humanity. I find it crazy the same people who pretend to care about the environment order 3 sizes of clothes or shoes and return 2.

^^^ Yes, that tripped me out when I found out/ heard about that! They need to set up some kind of 'deep discount/ no return' sub-site to re-sale those items instead of the landfills.

I've hard to fit feet, but ain't buying multi-pairs to get it right. Instead I purchase my shoes in person, or online brands I know will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Yes, that tripped me out when I found out/ heard about that! They need to set up some kind of 'deep discount/ no return' sub-site to re-sale those items instead of the landfills.

I've hard to fit feet, but ain't buying multi-pairs to get it right. Instead I purchase my shoes in person, or online brands I know will fit.
    They do have a few of those stores in major cities with every mix of products dumped on big tables but it hardly makes a dent.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    ... A third of everything returned to them ends up in landfills. It's the biggest waste company in the history of humanity...
    Decisions whether to hold or dispose are made by algorithms that maximize profits, whereas decisions to protect the environment are up to the polity. This is called 'The Tragedy of the Commons' -- which is ALMOST an iron law of nature.

Decisions whether to hold or dispose are made by algorithms that maximize profits, whereas decisions to protect the environment are up to the polity. This is called 'The Tragedy of the Commons' -- which is ALMOST an iron law of nature.
    That sounds like a nice way of saying Bezos is off the hook and there shouldn't be any environmental corporate responsibility, only what gov't legislates.

That sounds like a nice way of saying Bezos is off the hook and there shouldn't be any environmental corporate responsibility, only what gov't legislates.
    No company can afford to be vastly more responsible than their competitors.

With legislation, every company has to bear the same costs, and we customers can simply pay more. But if Amazon goes it alone, most people will shop elsewhere.

No company can afford to be vastly more responsible than their competitors.

With legislation, every company has to bear the same costs, and we customers can simply pay more. But if Amazon goes it alone, most people will shop elsewhere.
    I'm thinking with Amazon's market domination they could quite easily find a fairly inexpensive way to keep a few hundred million more items out of landfills. I wouldn't let them off the hook so easily. But what do I know, I don't buy from them.
    Last edited by 401don; December-27-21 at 12:13 PM.

I don't think Amazon is gouging their workers[[ $18/hr). What company doesn't fight unionization - except Big 3 pre-1950. Walmart and other retailers go in at minimum wage +$1,2 at most. I don't buy a lot from Amazon but hope prices don't go up...

This is happening against the backdrop of The Great Resignation which itself is newsworthy due to its rarity. In Europe that would be called a general strike which almost never happens in the U.S.

When unions are destroyed they can't be present to placate workers, so events that disrupt businesses become less predictable.

I'm thinking with Amazon's market domination they could quite easily find a fairly inexpensive way to keep a few hundred million more items out of landfills...
    Amazon might find a way, but it won't. It's pie in the sky.

Likewise, the idea that the public can get Congress to make responsible recycling rules is pie in the sky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast